The Ranger

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
goon175
Ranger

The Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Here ya go folks:
The Ranger

You can’t put your finger on it, and you can’t quite identify what it is. It is a certain presence that resides permanently around him. He stands straight, the type of posture that is rarely seen in men today. The posture silently screams self confidence. It is the kind of confidence that comes from going out night after night to hunt other men. Men that hunt back. His back is rounded, shoulders wide. The arms are like leather. The neck thick. A man doesn’t get this way by accident. It comes from hours under a ruck, climbing ropes, lifting heavy things, climbing walls, carrying other full grown men. Running for miles, endless miles. Miles that make the feet bleed, soaking the white socks red. Miles over road, on gravel, on sand, on dirt, up hills, down hills, up stairs, down stairs…. Miles that crush a man’s soul at the mere thought.

He wears a watch on one wrist, a simple Timex. It is well worn from the hundreds of missions it has been on. The other wrist has a black metal bracelet. It is scratched up, beat up, but never leaves the wrist. It bears the name of a fallen brother. The name of a man who left behind a daughter, a wife, parents…. The name of a man who he shared a room with, played Halo with after the mission, drank beer with… The name of a man who received nothing but silence in response to the Sergeant Major beckoning him during that final roll call.

His arms are tattooed. They bear the images of skulls, Spartans, a tattered American flag and flames. There is a weird way in which the ink compliments the blank stare on his face. Almost a slight frown, yet a look of deep thought. His hair is longer than the average soldier, but not too long. He’s particular when he explains what he wants at the barber. But then again he is particular about everything in his life.

He pulls his kit out from its cubby in the ready room. It falls over his shoulders in a familiar way. It’s weird how the distinctive sound of the Velcro on the cummerbund can be so easily associated with the looming prospect of combat. The Peltors go on, plugged into the radio on his side. He turns them on and turns them up. It just got real loud. The MICH goes on; the NOD’s are flipped down and tested. He’s paranoid and knows he put fresh batteries in last night, but changes them out again anyway. The amber lenses are dusty, so he takes a red rag and rubs them clear. The helmet is heavy and weighs on a man’s neck, but he is used to it. Hours have been spent under the weight of Kevlar, night vision, strobes, Velcro, flashlights… He snaps the safety line around his waist, pulls his gloves on, and slips his Oakley’s over his ears. You hear a sigh, and then see him do a few squats to make sure everything is on just right. Finally, he grabs his wrist Garmin and his quarterback forearm pad. One goes on each forearm.

He turns the knob on his MBITR and asks for a radio check. He gets a response and is satisfied. Someone yells out that “FMC” will be in five minutes. The others start shuffling away from their cubbies. He grabs his rifle, pulls the charging handle back checking to make sure it is clear, and then releases the bolt. He slides a plastic magazine in and routes the adjustable sling over his shoulder and starts walking for the door. As he walks away you notice that all that heavy gear looks kind of small on his V-shaped torso. He walks with a gait that is swift but quiet.

He floats into the dark, his playground. The air is thin, the moon barely visible. All you hear is the crunch of pea rock under his hiking boots as he walks away toward the flight line. It dawns on you that you just witnessed something few will ever set eyes on. Half the world away, men of a similar age are drinking, playing beer pong, setting new high scores on games. But he is boarding a rotary wing aircraft in the hopes of taking a few more souls off his planet during this period of darkness. Few have seen or done what he has, and fewer still do it with the ferocity that he does.

He is a Ranger. He is the hammer some nights, the scalpel others. His work is carried out with unprecedented speed, surprise, and violence. He does not seek glory, nor recognition of any kind. He lives by a Creed, but for his brothers. He is satisfied knowing that he is doing exactly what needs to be done.

-Erik Larson
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: The Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well said!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I'm live on facebook now, support veteran owned small business with a "like/share" on facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blacksid ... 4112064104
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

UPDATE: First shirt is going live at 2100 EST tonight. The Art print is in line to be printed, but will not be available for a while. We went with a world renowned printer who could guarantee us the quality we are demanding, so I think it is worth the wait. The first shirt is up tonight though, and we will have two more shirts available for pre-order in the next week or so. These first ones are somewhat Ranger oriented, but we have other stuff in the works that appeals to a broader base. RLTW!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

"The Ranger" limited edition art print is now available. You will only be able to order during the month of july, after that this print will never be sold again.

http://shop.blacksideconcepts.com/The-R ... nt-009.htm
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

For those who missed the "Limited Edition", the "Open Edition" is now up for pre-order here: http://shop.blacksideconcepts.com/The-R ... nt-011.htm
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Your current shirt?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Jim, if you are referring to the charity shirt we just put up, this is the link:

http://shop.blacksideconcepts.com/Unto- ... rt-015.htm
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

As to the shirt, can't wait to get mine!

My wife ordered "The Ranger" for me as a Christmas present but apparently couldn't wait to give it to me and dropped it on me tonight! I had no idea she was getting for me. Beautiful work is all I can say! I told her she has to have it framed and matted for me for Christmas now! Thanks Goon!!!!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

RMP-RLTW wrote:As to the shirt, can't wait to get mine!

My wife ordered "The Ranger" for me as a Christmas present but apparently couldn't wait to give it to me and dropped it on me tonight! I had no idea she was getting for me. Beautiful work is all I can say! I told her she has to have it framed and matted for me for Christmas now! Thanks Goon!!!!

Ryan
RLTW!
Glad you like it brother!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

I got my shirt today! It is BAD ASS!! Thanks for making them available, brother!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

BUMP-If you haven't read this, then you need to.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Nico14
Ranger

Post by Nico14 »

Roger, Ranger goon175.
11X Option 40

Ship Date: 20180619

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”