Diffrence in serving in the 75th vs serving in a high speed

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
speak of him
Future Soldier

Diffrence in serving in the 75th vs serving in a high speed

Post by speak of him »

Ok heres is what i mean:

A E-4 infantryman serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment
VS
A E-5 Infantryman serving in the 82nd airborne Division or 101st (Rakkasans) but said soldier is Ranger qualified

How would they really differ? (besides responsabilities of rank of course) would they have the same capability as one another? Would they go on the same types of missions during war time?

I ask because alot of the army NCO guys ive talked to have said the 75th really "is just a beefed up 82nd with a few more high speed NCOs and officer and a limitless budget from the DOD" (there words not mine) so im a little confused.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Diffrence in serving in the 75th vs serving in a high sp

Post by KW Driver »

There is no better place to live or work. Period.

So theses guys telling you how life in the Regt is just a beefed up 82nd? How many of them spent time in Regt? Thought so. I could give a shit of their opinion, when they're talking out of their asses.

Edit: the Regt I grew up in doesn't exist today, and yet it does. It's become something better. But the core of Rangering never changes. I'm still in uniform, and have been since I left BN. I stand by my statement above.

As to your title? We're you trying to say 101st or 82nd are high speed? According to whom?
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
speak of him
Future Soldier

Post by speak of him »

Yes i mean i would think both of those units are high speed in that both served heavily in Iraq and Afghanistan, i know it sounds kinda dumb comparing them to the rangers but thats why i asked
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

speak of him wrote:Yes i mean i would think both of those units are high speed in that both served heavily in Iraq and Afghanistan, i know it sounds kinda dumb comparing them to the rangers but thats why i asked
And I think youi are writing too much and reading too little. If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. I took a loook at your entries, and you Lack a reference point -- in other words, you don't know what you are talking about. First, read all the FAQs, as well as selected stickies and threads. If you have questions -- use the search feature located on the top right part of this page. Almost all the questions have been addressed at least once. The search feature is your friend -- I reserve judgement. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Sounds like the same shit I heard in basic training from the 82nd and 101 drill instructors. :roll:
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

So I'll ask you this. What's the assessment program like to join the 101st, 82nd, 173rd?

What's their MACOM?

3ID did year on, year off rotations through Iraq, are they high speed?

They aren't bad units for what they are, but they aren't special in the least, to me. Most special units that I'm aware of have a try out. When DA assigns bodies to a unit, they aren't special, they're relying on a history to build espirit, and pride in the organization. That's never a bad thing.

Just my opinion.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

The Regiment has been involved in the GWoT from the initial assault into both AFG and IRQ until now. There's never been a time during the war that an element of the 75th hasn't been on the ground in both theaters, there is no other unit in the US MILITARY that has done that.

The 75th is the most lethal (according to body counts) fighting force on the ground right now. They were the first unit to get campaign streamers for both theaters.

Rangers do things no other unit in the Army can do.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

speak of him wrote:Ok heres is what i mean:

A E-4 infantryman serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment
VS
A E-5 Infantryman serving in the 82nd airborne Division or 101st (Rakkasans) but said soldier is Ranger qualified
I was an E4 in Regt, and I was an E5 in the 82d. The people you've been talking to about this are retarded.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

High speed, low drag huh?.. A unit is only as "high speed" as the people who are in its ranks.

That being said..

KW Driver has summed it up well. When people make those statements you have to ask yourself, "Have they spent any time in both units?". If not how would they know what it was like. That would be like me saying that SF is made up guys that just want to wear oakley's and grow beards. How the hell would I really know? I haven't spent day one in SF.

He also bring up the point that the other units do not have a selection you must pass to be assigned. I would add that the Ranger Regiment also has summary release authority; meaning if you fuck up or fail to meet the standard they can (and will) send you down the pike to be assigned according to the needs of he Army. (added: you can also ask to be reassigned. Try that in the 101st of 82nd..)

Which brings me to my next point; I cannot pontificate on the "high speediness" of the 101st or 82nd, for I have not been assigned there. I can, however, relate the difference in being in a unit where you must volunteer and pass a qualification vs. one where you can be assigned. The difference was like night and day. When you are in a place where people have not only asked to be there, but have busted their asses to get there and stay there you can tell right away. Just the way the people carry themselves. There is a reason that in the Ranger Creed has the stanza, "Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier.." Those who are in its ranks want to be there and will do whatever they can to stay. In a unit where one can be assigned, there if you don't like your surroundings and don't want to be there it shows. It shows in the attitude, appearance.. everything. Have you ever heard of the "crabs in a barrel" analogy? Try and take just one crab out of a barrel. You can't, because the other crabs will snatch on and try and bring him back down to their level. As KW said, not that the other units don't have a storied and heroic past, but it can't make someone want to be there who doesn't.

But don't take my word for it. There is a book that was written some years ago by Jim Collins. It was called "Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap..and Others Don't". It specifically talks about different management styles and corporate cultures in the business world. As the title says, he looks at how some companies prosper and others struggle. The same model can be used when comparing the Ranger Regiment to other units.

Highly interesting read. You should pick it up.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
bperl377
Ranger

Post by bperl377 »

The main difference between regiment and a unit like 82nd and 101st is mission set. While you may get into a combat unit in the 82nd all you would do is clearing routes and generally getting blown up on a daily basis for a month or two then youd take over gate guard duty, whereas in regiment you take the fight to the enemy, and let me tell you it has been singlehandedly the most fun ive had in my entire life, currently at 5 years and 5 deployments to iraq and afghanistan and countin
A CO 1/75 3rd PLT MAR 2008- Present
RIP Feb 2008
Ranger School Jan 2009- May 2009 Class 05-09

CDC: Castrating Lambs With Your Teeth May Make You Sick
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

bperl377 wrote:The main difference between regiment and a unit like 82nd and 101st is mission set. While you may get into a combat unit in the 82nd all you would do is clearing routes and generally getting blown up on a daily basis for a month or two then youd take over gate guard duty, whereas in regiment you take the fight to the enemy, and let me tell you it has been singlehandedly the most fun ive had in my entire life, currently at 5 years and 5 deployments to iraq and afghanistan and countin
Amen and God bless Ranger.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

speak of him wrote:Yes i mean i would think both of those units are high speed in that both served heavily in Iraq and Afghanistan, i know it sounds kinda dumb comparing them to the rangers but thats why i asked
Just an aside, young man. It is best you learn to capitalize Ranger if you seek to communicate with us.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”