Does anyone else feel helpless?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
RangerDC

Does anyone else feel helpless?

Post by RangerDC »

Hello my fellow hooah's,

I was just wondering if any other Ranger Veteran feels somewhat helpless regarding the ongoing fight our country is in?

It saddens me deeply to hear of the loss of life of any Ranger, especially in combat. I feel like I shold be doing more, doing something other than getting on with my own life.

I am on a short break from school and have been spending a good amount of time recently working out the details for me to open a great practice in Hawaii in the next year and I am starting to feel guilty because my bretheran are dying and I am making plans to live in paradise. Something isn't right about that.

**If you are a spectator and are not or never have been a Ranger, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT COMMENTING!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ranger DC-

I know exactly how you feel, Brother. I have felt that way in every conflict we've been involved in since my departure from the Army.
I have tried to go back in several times, finally even attempting National Guard (all to no avail).

My problem is that I am 45 yrs old. Apparently, it doesn't matter what kind of shape I'm in, how fast I can run, how good I can shoot, or what kind of prior training I've received. Bottom line is...I'm too damned old.

I have several ways in which I try to deal with that feeling. First, I openly and publicly support our brethren and make sure that other civilians I come in contact with understand the sacrifices our warriors (and their families) make each day.

Secondly, and I know this is goofy (and no, I'm not a Bible Thumper), each day when I do my run, I ask The Ranger in the Sky to give me some of the suffering and pain of my brothers-in-arms, so their day will be a little easier. This usually makes me push my limits on my runs, so that I can feel their pain.

I was pretty torn up about that 3/75 Ranger who died yesterday. The young stud left behind a wife who is pregnant with their first child. She's due on their wedding anniversary. I ran twice yesterday and could barely walk when I got home. I guess feeling some physical pain makes it easier to convince my mind that I'm doing something (when in reality, I'm probably not).

Thirdly, I say a prayer for them all each morning before I start my day off.

None of these really quell the feeling that I'm being a slug while these young, all-American studs are fighting and dying for me, my family, and for my country. I just try to send them as much positive energy/prayers/whatever you want to call it. They are constantly in my thoughts.

Don't ever cut yourself short though, Ranger DC. You gave yourself and made sacrifices for the same cause. Fate just didn't give some of us the same situations that our Hooah Brothers today are facing. You did your service...it's time for another generation to do theirs. They make me proud to say I was one of them.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

EP did a pretty good summary there, great job.

I too go through a range of emotions everyday thinking about the young rangers out there today. Yesterdays news really hit me harder than most since I have 2 little girls 15 months and 2 months and I came home yesterday and just sat their and realized even more so how fortunate I am to have this time with them, I just sat there playing with my eldest daughter then i sat up watching both of them sleep. I did not sleep at all last night I just tossed and turned.

I think the one thing that help me the most is just talking about it to friends and family who have served that way I don't bottle it all up.

I think we all have days when we wish we were in the fight , not because we are war mongers but because it is part of the fabric of who we are. Inside we are all warriors and NO warrior likes to be on the sidelines.

What EP said
Don't ever cut yourself short though, Ranger DC. You gave yourself and made sacrifices for the same cause. Fate just didn't give some of us the same situations that our Hooah Brothers today are facing. You did your service...it's time for another generation to do theirs. They make me proud to say I was one of them.
It just time to live a new chapter in your life and let new younger studs do what we have done or were prepared to do when we all served.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Ditto, EP.

The difficulties I have are a little bit different, though. Sure, I want to go back. I think that is one trait that is common in all Rangers. Whenever we get together with guys that we served with, the conversation almost alwasy goes into how we have been trying /or are going to try to come back to Batt.

The problem I have is more of a phylosphical problem. When I served, I didn't have time to keep up with current events, or the politics in this country. The only news I got was the hot spot briefings. Now, though, I am a political junky. I keep a close eye on our government.

Now, before I go any further, let me say that very few people agree with my politics - and that's fine. Compared to me, Rush Limbaugh and G. Gordon Liddy are spinelss liberals. That should give you an idea of how "far right" and conservative I am. I consider myself a Constitutionalist. I disagree with anything our government does that is in direct violation of the highest law in our land - regardless of which "side of the isle" you sit on. And believe me, there are more examples of those violations than I could type out on this board in a month.

So, I find myself having to walk softly, if you will, due to the current political climate in our nation. I have a lot of problems with a lot of things that our government has done since I came home from the service, while at the same time supporting our troops 110% - without exception. Even though they are sometimes acting on orders from our government that I could not be more opposed to. That can sometimes be a tough place to be in.

I know that I can never go back to Batt. My service related disability put that issue to bed a long time ago for me. I just have a problem burying my friends that have made the ultimate sacrifice, then I look at how corrupt our politicians / government are, and how the American people continue to accept our governments infringement on our rights (which is what our troops are supposed to be protecting).

Anyway, It is not my intent to start a political discussion. I go to other boards for that. Besides, if we start talking politics, the mods will probably ban my ass. I just wanted to make the point that I am more torn up about our troops dying overseas, while we let the lunatics run the asylum. Sometimes I feel like I am letting them down, because they are over there defending my liberties from global terrorism, but I/we are not doing a whole lot to keep our government from trampelling on the rights they are dying to preserve.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
RangerDC

Thanks

Post by RangerDC »

Thanks. It is reassuring that I am not the only one feeling this way. I too have spent much of the past few years trying to figure out how I can get back in, in some capacity without abdoning the career that I have been working towards for the past 8 years.

I couldn't agree more that we are not war monger's and that our desire to get in and make a difference is part of the fabric of who we are. My problem has always been what to do with that part of me, without being part of the military.

I too have a service related disability, aquired from Batt and actually the only reason I left and they had to force me to leave. I lied to get off profile b/c I wasn't healing fast enough but mind wanted to do more than my body could. I have regrets and feel as if I could just get one chance to make things right.

I thought about my family a lot last night and the idea of leaving them behind to go fight and I am not sure I could do it at this point unless I was truely needed. I have so much that I am thankful for and a great career ahead of me. I know it sounds corny but I really want to be in uniform again.

It means a lot to me that you all replied.

Thanks.

Ranger_DC
Sua Sponte
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I actually think that it was healthy for all of us that you started this thread, Ranger DC. Aside from my wife, there's one friend who lives here who was a LRRP Ranger in VietNam who I will talk to about stuff like this. They are probably the only two people at my immediate disposal who understand the feeling. My wife is not prior military, but she really understands me.

It's true that it is in our blood....not the war mongering nor the desire to kill....the desire/need to walk the talk. The overwhelming desire to protect and serve our friends, family, and country. Many of us, perhaps all of us, would rather give our own life than hear of some young stud in his prime losing his life, never to see even middle age.

I think that is one of the things that bonds us together so tightly as a group. I initially have more trust in someone (until they prove me wrong) when I find out that they were in an elite fighting unit or law enforcement group. I know that they had to be a special caliber of human being, just to have gone where they've gone voluntarily.

These Hooahs who are fighting in the sand right now are constantly in my thoughts. I fly the flag every single day in their honor. I am proud of them. I never forget that their sacrifices and deaths have given me the life I enjoy.

When the training gets tough and they want to quit, I hope that the wannabees who frequent these sites....the ones who are really serious about becoming a Ranger.....think about our Brothers who have sacrificed everything. I hope their memories makes these newbees reach down inside to produce the intestinal fortitude it takes to carry on the tradition.
My hat is off to these young men, as well. I wish them all luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Creeping Death wrote:Anyway, It is not my intent to start a political discussion. I go to other boards for that. Besides, if we start talking politics, the mods will probably ban my ass.
On the contrary, you just earned yourself your own forum to moderate, along with Leatherneck - American Politics. Congratulations!
DO NOT PM ME
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Oh holy hell! Thank you for the promotion. This ought to be interesting, as I don't think mine and Leatherneck's politics "jive" if you will.

I must warn you, I am one of the ilk that Janet Reno warned the FBI about a few years ago that she considered to be potential domestic terrorists. You know the kind: registered Republicans, guns owners - particularly owners of those "dangerous assault rifles", prior military - especially special ops, Christians who write tithes off on their taxes, etc.

Maybe we can get something going over there.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

EP - that was an awesome post.

I wish that every American would take the same pause in their day to appreciate the sacrifices being made on a daily basis by our armed forces. Hopefully this business of over-extending our military will begin to be reigned in, while at this very moment, Colin Powell is urging the President to send more of our forces to Liberia.

I think it is only slightly different than you say though, at least for me. After I got out, I found myself jealous of those Ranger participants where it seemed like a quick fight (not that it was easy for those who were there) and not many (or any) were lost, such as Panama and the first jump into Afghanistan. And then I do find myself getting rather pissed off, disgusted and a strong desire to go back in for those actions which occur today and especially when I heard about the Ranger KIAs in Mogadishu. I don't know a single Ranger (active, veteran, retired, etc...) who was not prepared to be sent right NOW to go there and fight for our brothers. So, maybe for me it's just a different reason to go. One would be the sense that I'm missing out, the other would be for revenge or a desire to be there for my brothers. However, this desire I recognize as coming from the heart. I don't view it as realistic due to the better fitness levels, training and attitudes of those serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment today.

I know the Regiment is in good hands and that the men serving today ably represent our nation, and all the Rangers who have preceded them, at the cutting edge of battle as the absolute BEST we have to offer.

I had the opportunity to hear Herman Dammer speak once, while he was alive and he said he was asked how the Rangers of World War II accomplished so much with so little. He said "It was easy - we did what was expected of us." And that sums it up quite simply; expected of us by our superiors, our families back home, our nation and most importantly, our fellow Rangers.
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

I may be out of place in even commenting (assuming the position just in case), but I just wanted to say that your sacrifices and services are appreciated and are not forgotten. It's probably a little different for us DEP'rs, but I know all decent Americans have great respect for those who willingly go into harm's way to protect and defend our way of life. Thank you!
RangerDC

Pride in my Brethren

Post by RangerDC »

I walk through everyday with the pride of knowing that I was once part of something that made a difference, that my best freinds were warriors in the truest sense, and that I was "born and breed" in the Regimental family.

There is little that inspires me more than to think of the sacrifice, dedication and professionalism of my brethren, especially those that have givem their lives in the line of duty. Your comments here however have truly inspired me. It has been great to hear from all of you.

Pete is right, I don't think there is one of us, if asked to go back, wouldn't if the need was there. One of my best freinds, Ranger Kenny Baggett, broke his neck during training at 1st Bn shortly after we got there. He spent a number of years in extreme pain, has endured multiple neck surgeries and thankfully today is in fine health. He recently went to an army recruiter to find out if he could get back into the game and was told that since he still has metal hardware in his neck his chances were slim to none, even though he has been cleared to jump by his Dr. Ranger Kenny Baggett is an inspiration.

I wish I could say that I have come to terms with not being able to get back into the military. In fact I often find myself looking at a calender trying to plan out ARNG OCS dates and IOBC while trying to balance building a new practice. I am fortunate to have a few sources of support for how I feel. My wife does understand me but truly can't understand how I feel, no one who hasn't been there or felt the call of a warrior can.

My wife has also made similar statements like:
I know where you want to be, every good Ranger wants to be there with his friends, but I need you here, to take care of me and Drew. Don't blame yourself, blame me, you've done your time, now it's time for you to be with me.
except she doesn't want me to go period. I told her that I loved her but I couldn't promise her that my military career is over. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to all.

Ranger Lead The Way!

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”