CSM Leon-Guerrero

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
dbmtrman
Ranger

CSM Leon-Guerrero

Post by dbmtrman »

Anyone know what happened to CSM Leon-Guerrero? He was the man. Definately belongs in the Ranger Hall of Fame.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: CSM Leon-Guerrero

Post by Earthpig »

Check PMs.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Last I knew he was teaching ROTC in Ndog's neck of the woods.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

I used to laugh on those Saturdays when we were on post at Hunter. Watching him run with his wife and kids (not sure how many there were, looked like squad strength) running around perimeter road, in formation, with one up front in a road guard vest.

If he dropped you for pushups, he'd get down and do them with you. That man could lead by example.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I remember when he was the CSM at 1st Bn with then LTC Nightengale, then he went to 2nd Bn, then eventually becoming the CSM for the entire Regiment. (something political went down), but he was high speed all the way and fuckin loved bein a Ranger and being around Rangers.
Last edited by Bugsy on June 6th, 2009, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

I remember one time when I was still in HHC, and was attached as a setcom operator for C Co., on some airfield seizure operation. Not sure where it was, a couple hour flight from Hunter. I jumped in with a hundred pound ruck and an MP5 SD. We had done two practice jumps on this runway, but the night of the operation the winds really picked up, and we jumped at 800 feet. By the time my chute opened up and I got my bearings I was right over the middle of the super wide concrete runway. I had the risers pulled all the way to the 550 cord, trying to slip away from a concrete landing. We had t10's and I was heading in for a front PLF. I hit on the run way, doing about 14 knots, face first. My points of contact were feet, knees, elbows and then head. The contact with my elbows on the concrete numbed both of my hands. When my head it, it ripped the new K pot off, breaking the chin strap. My Chute was still inflated and I was getting drug off the runway and now through the scrub. I tried a couple times but couldn't release my riser. Finally after a little time, I got one released and came to a stop. That jump knocked the shit out of me. I was in a daze. I tried to take account of myself and equipment and found my release strap pulled off and my MP5 was not to be found.

The first thing I remember is a shadow comes running up to me, to see how I was doing. It was CSM Leon-Guerrero. For those of you who know him, and remember that deep, grunting voice. He says, "Ranger, are you OK. I saw the sparks when you landed." I answered "Roger, Sergeant Major, but I can't find my weapon". So he helps me retrace the route I was drug and we find the MP5. Then he left me with a Hooah, and sent me on my way.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

dbmtrman wrote:Anyone know what happened to CSM Leon-Guerrero? He was the man. Definately belongs in the Ranger Hall of Fame.
He is. Year 5. (Jun 97)
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

dbmtrman wrote:I remember one time when I was still in HHC, and was attached as a setcom operator for C Co., on some airfield seizure operation. Not sure where it was, a couple hour flight from Hunter. I jumped in with a hundred pound ruck and an MP5 SD. We had done two practice jumps on this runway, but the night of the operation the winds really picked up, and we jumped at 800 feet. By the time my chute opened up and I got my bearings I was right over the middle of the super wide concrete runway. I had the risers pulled all the way to the 550 cord, trying to slip away from a concrete landing. We had t10's and I was heading in for a front PLF. I hit on the run way, doing about 14 knots, face first. My points of contact were feet, knees, elbows and then head. The contact with my elbows on the concrete numbed both of my hands. When my head it, it ripped the new K pot off, breaking the chin strap. My Chute was still inflated and I was getting drug off the runway and now through the scrub. I tried a couple times but couldn't release my riser. Finally after a little time, I got one released and came to a stop. That jump knocked the shit out of me. I was in a daze. I tried to take account of myself and equipment and found my release strap pulled off and my MP5 was not to be found.

The first thing I remember is a shadow comes running up to me, to see how I was doing. It was CSM Leon-Guerrero. For those of you who know him, and remember that deep, grunting voice. He says, "Ranger, are you OK. I saw the sparks when you landed." I answered "Roger, Sergeant Major, but I can't find my weapon". So he helps me retrace the route I was drug and we find the MP5. Then he left me with a Hooah, and sent me on my way.

Great story, a true leader.

He would visit 2nd Batt and said the "O's" and higher up away to talk to the lower enlisted, I always respected that.
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

I remember when he used to yell, "squeeze my left nut, Sergeant Birch!"

Or, "where are my healers!"

I loved the man back in the day, and still do.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

ma91c1an wrote:I remember when he used to yell, "squeeze my left nut, Sergeant Birch!"
My face hurts from laughing at this one...was there some reason, or story behind that?
Dekdarion
Ranger

Post by Dekdarion »

He was 1st Batt CSM on my E-5 board. I agree he was an excellent CSM. I am glad to hear he is in the Hall of Fame.
Hope is the first step, on the road to disappointment..............

B Co. 1/75 82-84
Class 6-83 Kilo Cupcakes on the attack, we sneak poggie behind your back........... If you were in that class you get the joke!
HHC 1/75 about 3 months
C Co. 1/75 84-85
104th LRS 93-98
416 CA Battalion 99-00
Dekdarion
Ranger

Post by Dekdarion »

lol yeah I didnt look at it that way but then what about the 2 guys that put me in a position that got me my Vetted pic taken. I know for a fact one of them should be in the HOF as well! Maybe at one time I wasnt as big of an ass as you think!!!
Hope is the first step, on the road to disappointment..............

B Co. 1/75 82-84
Class 6-83 Kilo Cupcakes on the attack, we sneak poggie behind your back........... If you were in that class you get the joke!
HHC 1/75 about 3 months
C Co. 1/75 84-85
104th LRS 93-98
416 CA Battalion 99-00
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Invictus wrote:
ma91c1an wrote:I remember when he used to yell, "squeeze my left nut, Sergeant Birch!"
My face hurts from laughing at this one...was there some reason, or story behind that?
As I remember it, LG made an error of some kind, some kind of mistake, and he yelled "squeeze my left nut, Sergeant Birch!" in front of the A Co formation. He did it more than one time. It was like LG considered Birch to be the arbiter of what was correct and military. Which makes sense. Birch was a fucking legend long before he left for greener pastures.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”