HAAF / Ft Stewart?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
redcon1
Ranger

HAAF / Ft Stewart?

Post by redcon1 »

Having never visited HAAF/ Ft Stewart while on AD, I find myself heading to Savannah next week. Gonna have some days free and all the nights, armed with a rental car... anything worth seeing? I guess everthing is pretty well locked down now, but just thought I'd ask (No ID card except an old pink Reserve ID marked 'Indef).

At the least, I'm definitely gonna hit up Ranger Joes and get me a new map case, some new hot gear, etc. :lol:
Appreciate any info.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

GREAT area. River Street has great bars, some good eateries, and brick streets excellent for puking on. To get there, you can take some of the "old time" stairs put there a hundred years ago. Most excellent to fall down or fall up. Padded of course at the bottom with bricks to puke on from the mild concussion.

All through the historic district, little parks, beautiful homes, and more places to sit.......and puke.

They have within easy drive some fine ass beaches, historic civil war sites, and restaurants. Bad ass place for sure.

Enjoy
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Best lobster I have ever eaten was at the Barrister. A few years ago however.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

There's always something to do in Savannah for all ages. I recommend you stay close to the downtown area because everything is in walking distance. You can stay at the Double Tree (on Bay street) or Best Western (Bay and Montgomery). The name of the hotel might have changed but it's really the perfect place to stay.
If you love sea food your in the right place. There's plenty of sea food places downtown and you can also drive out to Tybee Island and eat at Joe's Crap shack. There's also a pretty good sea food place right before Tybee on Wilmington Island (Bubba's Seafood).
The bar scene is pretty nice every night of the week. Savannah College of Arts & Design (SCAD) is located in the downtown area so the college chicks are always out. If your married think of them as IED's and stay away. On Friday night or Saturday you need to go to Savannah Smile's Duelling Piano bar (located on Williamson street). Dont think of some ritzy cheesy soft piano music. This place is pretty cool to go to and the bartenders really take care of you there. Make sure go to Wet Willie's on river street and get yourself and call-a-cab. Your visit isn't complete until you get one.
If you want to hit a nice Irish pub you have to go to The Rail (on East Congress street). It's a good bar as well. You also need to stop by Kevin Berry's Irish Pub (on River st.). The owner is a big time Ranger supporter. There's alot of good Ranger paintings in there also.
If you get a chance to take some of the downtown tours do so. Especially the haunted tours. You'll learn alot about the city and they are pretty cool to go on.
One of my favorite things about Savannah is you can walk in public with your beer or any adult beverage as long as it's in a clear plastic cup. Most of the bars dont charge an entry fee, so you can bar hop for free.
I'll stop here because I could go on for days. I spent 5 awesome years in SAV and if it wasn't for the job I have now, I would of never left. If you have questions shoot me a PM or give me a call, I'm on the phone roster.
Ranger School CL# 04-05
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

8th Army Air Force museum is nearby, primarily concerns the 'Mighty Eighth' in WW2.
Good if you like airplanes and/or WW2 history.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
redcon1
Ranger

Thanks!

Post by redcon1 »

All great suggestions... thanks!
Looks like I'll have plenty to keep me busy.. and I'll be sure to tip a cold one to you all.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

Ranger redcon1,

I live in Savannah and can tell you that even though it's too cold to go to Tybee Island, make sure to stroll through the historic district downtown. Forsythe Park is worth a visit and since it just turned cold, the trees still have their leaves. It's beautiful right now, and I hope you enjoy your visit.

-DRM

PS- Mellow Mushroom and Vinnie Van GoGo's are the best pizza joints in the city. Vinnie's is downtown and MM is off of River Street. If you need their numbers or more accurate directions, I can PM them to you.
Last edited by DRM on February 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
redcon1
Ranger

Good stuff

Post by redcon1 »

Zonk - Thanks for the heads up... I will definitely check out the cemeteries. Different stuff like that is why I enjoy travelling.

DRM... thanks for the tips also. As far as needing more accurate directions... I downloaded some maps, and think I can find my way around a mapsheet Ok :wink:
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Savannah ROCKS!!! I can't wait to move back down there someday!!
redcon1
Ranger

Back in the frigid North!

Post by redcon1 »

Arrived back yesterday to sub-zero wind chills. Savannah was 68-70F daily.
We had a great visit. Turned out we were staying at the Hyatt, right next to Kevin Barry's Irish pub on river street. Hoisted a few (too many) there to my brothers in arms, past and present.
Also travelled around the old town quite a bit... cemetery, pubs, restaurants, pubs, etc. Also checked out the 8th AF Museum.
Drove past the HAAF gates but didn't try to venture in. Thanks again to all who provided intel.
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi Dave, So glad your trip was a memorable one. Didn't happen to take a pic of the HAAF gate did ya. Son has passed in andout of that gate many times now just wondering what it looks like. Was hope to get down there one fo these days but following this dpeloyment sounds like son will be heading up to Bragg for a while. He just re-uped for 5 more active.
redcon1
Ranger

Negative

Post by redcon1 »

Sorry, Soldiersdad; no pics (In the post-9/11 days I deliberately avoid taking pics that could be remotely misinterpreted). I did drive around the entire trace of the AF, but there was really not much to see. I did see a few Blackhawks performing flight ops but nothing tactical. Also, I never got close to Ft Stewart... way too much to see/do in Savannah. I'll have to make a Ranger Joe's run from the catalog!

I again salute your son and his comrades! Rangers Lead the Way!
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”