BAC Trainee Death

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Well what I was told it was a female 19 years old, and just recentley married. A MP told me ( he was a PFC not at the scene) that her riseers somehow straped her arms down to her chest to where she was in a world of shit. Then I heard she was just knocked out, I can see that happaning because our CO said that almost everyone will have a weak exit and that will cause our risers to twist a little,.. we practiced untwisting our risers today and I could feel it ristricting my blood to my head like a blood chock, maby thats what happaned. At any rate C co. is still jumping monday so fucking bring it on!!! AIRBORNE!!!! Oh and Ranger spartan they still teach us the whole reserve thing....JUMPERS HIT IT!!
Penelope BagO'Dicks

Post by Penelope BagO'Dicks »

Any truth to the rumor that they were jumping jumping lower than 1250 on the day she died? I'm sure any number of events could have cause her death and most likely we will never actually know really what happened. There's risk in everything, but if you think about the amount of people who jump in a year, and the amount of times something like this happens, it makes me feel a little better about it. To be honest, I really don't like to jump, but I did it. I'm not looking foward to jumping at ranger, but, I'll do it...hopefully something like this will never happen to me or anyone else...god forbid it does.

Infantry
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

pattonldr wrote:Any truth to the rumor that they were jumping jumping lower than 1250 on the day she died? I'm sure any number of events could have cause her death and most likely we will never actually know really what happened. There's risk in everything, but if you think about the amount of people who jump in a year, and the amount of times something like this happens, it makes me feel a little better about it. To be honest, I really don't like to jump, but I did it. I'm not looking foward to jumping at ranger, but, I'll do it...hopefully something like this will never happen to me or anyone else...god forbid it does.

Infantry
Thanks for your perspective. How about doing all of us a favor and post an introduction!!!!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Step right a wee bit Diablo...you're in my fuckin' crosshairs.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

El Diablo wrote:Sergeant Airborne told us the cause of the accident was due to a weak exit on the jumpers part, she jump her feet were still in the aircraft and she went head first, when her chut opened she went throught the risers twice and her arms were pinned down so she couldnt pull the reserve.
Thanks El Diablo. Are you at RIP now, or still in Airborne School?
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

Arms pinned down - not fuckin' likely.

I had a hung jumper while Jumpmastering in Alaska. This fruity littly Lt., about 5'4" tall, with about 170lbs. of gear on him. Hell, the weapons case was bigger than this short little fooker. Anyway, he was the last jumper on the pass, and he comes stumbling up to the door, makes a right turn, then falls our the door, head first. I saw the static line track down to the bottom edge of the door, and stay there. I thought, "Oh shit," and looked out the door to see this little prick spinning round and round, bouncing against the rear of the aircraft. I came back in, told the flight crew that we had a hung jumper, then stuck my head back out, saw that the Lt. had enough brains to assume the "I'm OK" position, came back in and cut the fucker away with my handy dandy Air Force switchblade. I looked back out of the door, and tracked him to the ground. It was sort of Wily Coyote-ish: he just got smaller (no reserve) and smaller (no reserve), then it LOOKED like a poof in the snow as he hit the ground, and THEN his reserve popping out. Fortunately (for him), he was OK (beaten up a little but that was all) what I found (after an investigation) had happened was that, when the Lt took the header out the door, his static line got wrapped around his weapons case. Then after he was cut away, his ruck flew up in front of his reserve (no lower tie down), so his reserve deployed into his ruck. He was finally able to push his ruck out of the so that his reserve finally deployed about 100' above the ground. Then he hit an 8' snow drift, which probably saved him from a lot more pain. All in all, he was a lucky bastard.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

YOu have plenty of time now to open your reserve. The MRPS deploy in 1.5 seconds.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

:::Deleted Double Post:::

Silverback
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

sobersides wrote:
H8 Train wrote:YOu have plenty of time now to open your reserve. The MRPS deploy in 1.5 seconds.
That's great news. Sounds like they made some good modifications there. You know, you often wonder when you participate in investigations if anything will ever change. It's good to know that things do change, and that equipment keeps getting better.
We started using them a couple of years ago. I think we started in 2000. Remember the old T-10 reserve. You had to throw it out and away. :lol:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Parabellum
Ranger

Re: New Reserve chute

Post by Parabellum »

FIREFIGHTER wrote:Ranger H8,

So the new ones you dont have to throw out to the side? Just pull the handle and it deploys without further assistance?, Must be nice..Never had to pull mine (Thankfully) but I remember in Jump School the 1st time we jumped with -1's that a bunch of people starting pulling their reserves thinking that the panels that were missing were tears in their chutes..Quite something to see actually there must of been twenty or so with both chutes deployed....I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong.

P.S. I bet there was some pissed off riggers that day!

Firefighter
Just pull the rip cord. The chute is spring loaded. The shit is fast.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

As long as the reserve still gets me down the fuckin' tree I'm happy.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Airborne School”