lethality and effectivness

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
AtxCrybaby

lethality and effectivness

Post by AtxCrybaby »

For effectiveness and lethality Japanese or Korean AKido is probably the best way to go. Its ranked as teh #6 most lethal form of h2h combat in the world....ive been in it for a couple of months now and its pretty efective..ive had to use it a couple times and i was realy amazed at how well it works...btw Steven Segal is an akido master and its what he uses in his movies.
Bell

Post by Bell »

I still think a gun is the best form of defense in close quarter combat.

RLTW
Bell
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

tunatuk wrote:Isn't Aikido a defensive form of martial arts? Nothing offensive about it, you use the attackers energy and stop the attack? Not killing him? Yeah you can strangle him and choke him to death, but that isn't what you are focusing on.

If I am mistaken I will gladly do some PT!
its kind of hard to explain..Akido has alot of defensive moves and attacks, yet when combat is engaged an akido fighter is always moving forward as he attacks. the first thing they taught us in our first class was how to break someones kneck and kill them. weve learned how to incapacitate someone and cause em a lil pain to teach em a lesson how to just go ahead and break thier arm in half at the elbow if it comes down to it..the ap poll is its #6 most lethal. but when it comes down to it......id rather have a gun :d but u cant take a gun everywhere like u can akido :D
Bell

Post by Bell »

my 5.56 round will make ya wanna sit down and I don't even have to touch ya.

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

My BS flag is on full-fledged, red alert there atx. I happen to know for a fact that ukemi-waza are the first techniques you learn in Aikido, long before you can utilize anything else in the class. Besides, the Korean version is called Hapkido. Care to tell us your instructor's name? I'm sure he'd love to hear about how you give a good backspin to his art.

PS- you should probably learn to spell it.
Last edited by Saltbitch on September 12th, 2003, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Re: lethality and effectivness

Post by Freed Y »

AtxSoldier wrote:...btw Steven Segal is an akido master and its what he uses in his movies.
I heard more than once that Steven Segal is only an Aikido Master because he donated money to some important people in the Aikido community, I don't know if thats true or not. Maybe someone here can verify that rumor...
Bell

Post by Bell »

I don't know what style segall uses but he is a master. Read an article about him one time and his claiming CIA status and stuff. The only thing they can find out about him is his martial art training.

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

FreedY, his movies suck, but in the Aikido community he is most certainly the 'real deal'. Certain elements of this community dislike him because he, at the time he began studying with the Masters in Japan he was what they refer to as a 'geishing'; or basically put, 'round-eye'. It is a derogatory term that is racist in origin, and if you know anything about the history of Japan, they very much prefer to keep things cultural 'in house'. He does hold the highest title in Aikido of any caucasion.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Ok, I stand corrected, thanks for the information.
Saltbitch wrote:FreedY, his movies suck, but in the Aikido community he is most certainly the 'real deal'. Certain elements of this community dislike him because he, at the time he began studying with the Masters in Japan he was what they refer to as a 'geishing'; or basically put, 'round-eye'. It is a derogatory term that is racist in origin, and if you know anything about the history of Japan, they very much prefer to keep things cultural 'in house'. He does hold the highest title in Aikido of any caucasion.
You stated the biggest reason I heard why people were suspicious of his title, him being a "Gaijin". I always knew he was very proficient in Aikido, I just heard some rumors about him. Thanks for clearing that up.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

"Gaijin".

Thanks for correcting my spelling; my Japanese is rusty. You know the old adage...use it or lose it.
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

i wanna clarify myslef here. I am not an expert at all nor do i act like one. I take a form of Korean aikido that is not called hapkido. Ive been taking it for a couple months going 5 times a week so ive been learning quickly. the first things we learned in our first class were one way attacks #'s 1-5, blocking (throws against one way attacks) #'s 1-5 and self defense moves for blocking punches.. My teachers name is Bob Pudre in Wichita Falls Texas. He teaches at the YMCA and at Kims Tae Kwon Do..hes a 3rd degree black belt. and also let me clarify one thing..I didnt have to use what i learned...i was at a friends house and he was playin around and threw a punch at me and just by reflex i blocked it and put him in a position to incapacitate him..i do believe my instructor called it muscle memory..i did stop myself once i realized what i was doing as i was surprised...well that should clarify what i stated earlier..if u have any other questions for me ill be glad to answer...and i mean no disrespect to anyone on this board

Return to “Close Combat”