Introduction: Bob

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Bob

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Bob.

RLTW!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Looks like you have it all figured out, Bob. Welcome.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome Bob, I too live in Washington state and am in the construction industry. I've actually done a lot of work with plumbers so we may have met. As far as your PT goes keep training and keep striving for more every time. Intervals runs are a great way to increase your run times and endurance. Not sure if you run on the road or the track, but let's say you run on the road. Always warm up first and stretch. Pick a 2-3 mile course, usually you can use telephone poles. Starting at one telephone, sprint to the next, then jog to the next, then sprint to the next, continue for the set distance (2-3 miles). Puking is okay. Do this a couple times a week. Then after about 3-4 weeks, Sprint 2-3 poles, jog to the next, sprint 2-3 poles, jog to the next, you get the picture. Train yourself to sprint farther and jog less. Soon you'll be doing 2 miles in under 12 minutes. Push yourself, don't quit, if you're not puking at first, you're probably not pushing hard enough. This is a great workout for increasing your endurance. As you get faster, only do intervals once a week, but increase your distance as you go. Every 2-3 weeks test yourself on your 2 mile run and work up to testing yourself on your 5 mile run. You've got to want it. Never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

bobdub wrote: With my search and rescue background, I think recon might be a good path, or communications.

Thank you for your assistance,

-Bob
"Recon" isn't an MOS (maybe 19D but they're not in the Regiment), commo is a good job that needs smart people.

Honestly if SAR is an interest of yours I recommend 68W.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Get used to running outside in all kinds of weather, learn to ignore the cold, the heat, the rain, all that should exist in your mind striving for a better time. Get use to laying in a mud puddle, in the rain, doing flutter kicks. As far as cramps go, drink plenty of water, stretch good, but learn to ignore and run through the cramps. Your body is always going to try to stop, you need to train your mind to tell your body to keep going. The only thing stopping you right now is you mind, train you mind and your body will follow.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Bob!

PM inbound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome bobdub, you've come to the right place.

More potassium in your diet may help with the leg cramps. Dark green leafy vegetables are the highest in potassium, but if you aren't into spinach and collard greens every day, a couple of bananas will do. Like Rangerjd told you, get used to running outdoors, unless you're in the Tri-Cities or the Cascades it isn't going to get super cold. And you don't catch colds from being out in the cold, you catch colds from being closed up with other people when it's cold outside.

As you've been told, recon isn't an MOS but there are positions in Recon units, but not until you've been a Ranger for a while. If you want to be in Recon as a Ranger, I suggest 11B (infantryman) or 68W (special operations medic) as good MOS's.

Good luck on your journey.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

bobdub wrote:Roger, Ranger JD. Awesome advice on the running. A thanks to all of you; I Couldn't tell all of you Rangers in words how much I appreciate your wisdom. The mental advice about running through the pain is just what I needed to hear. With my job, in rough-in, I had to work beyond exhaustion many times (digging as fast as I can while being yelled at all day etc.), and I adapted quickly. Makes sense it would be the same with running. You also said I have to want it. I WANT IT. I Can't stop thinking about it, and the feeling vastly dwarfs how much I want to become a plummer.

Roger, Ranger Slowpoke. Buying tons of spinach tonight. I am now leaning towards infantryman 11B MOS, simply because I am a very well rounded individual. I honestly don't have a desire to over-specialize. The skills I already have will stick with me, and being a jack-of all trades rifleman appeals to me, because I have spent the last 3+ years learning a rigorous trade.

Just bought some Jet Fins from a local dive store. Can't wait until I get them in next week.

I will never quit!
you aren't gong to read my post?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Unless I'm high, I've never seen anyone in my life do 230 sit ups in one set. Care to explain?

I read down your post further that said 40-50 in multiple sets, is that what you meant? Sounds like you're guessing at what you can do after stating known standards for the APFT.

You should actually conduct the test next time to get factual numbers. You need a hard number to start with otherwise you won't know how you're progressing.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”