Sitrep

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
kensongakusei
Ranger

Re: Sitrep

Post by kensongakusei »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Great job, and keep it up. Don't quit!
kensongakusei wrote:A lot of guys chafed really bad. I recommend body glide. Its like deodorant stick for your body. Rub it on any parts that might chafe. Trust me it really does help minimize chafing.
I'll second that, although I just used normal gel deodorant because it's what I had with me. Worked like a charm in School and RIP.

Thank you Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER. Ill keep that in mind about the gel deodorant for anti chafing. Buying body glide is starting to add up...
RangerX wrote:Hold your laughter until you try this....

There were more than a few of us back in the who would cut panty hose off at the knee and wear them for road marching. Chafing was a non-issue.
Ranger RangerX, I have heard about using panty hose as an anti chafing measure. I've never personally tried it, but from what I have read it works quite well. Thank you giving me another tool to use against chafing.
RMP-RLTW wrote:
RangerX wrote:Hold your laughter until you try this....

There were more than a few of us back in the who would cut panty hose off at the knee and wear them for road marching. Chafing was a non-issue.
Everyone was doing that in basic. I remember buying the huge bottle of gold bond and being good with that. It also acted like A/C in the summer. I was a skinny bastard when I showed up at 3/75, 6'1 and 145. Didn't stay that way for too long.

Ryan
RLTW!
Ranger RMP-RLTW, gold bond has been a life saver the past couple weeks. It was great during Cole Range, especially the fact that it was like AC for your feet. That is all I use right now as far as powder goes
Mustardseed12 wrote:kensongakusei, this question is a bit overdue but while in OSUT do all the guys with option 40 get placed in the same platoon?
Hey William. No the opt 40 guys are split into platoons by last name. From my OSUT platoon there are only 3 guys, who had opt 40's, left in this RASP class
2/75

"Fortune favors the prepared"
Jasper
Ranger

Post by Jasper »

Mustardseed12 wrote:kensongakusei, this question is a bit overdue but while in OSUT do all the guys with option 40 get placed in the same platoon?
Only if you're part of a social experiment that you'll never be aware of.
"Life is experience, and longevity is, in the end, measured by memory, and those with a thousand tales to tell have indeed lived longer than any who embrace the mundane.” – R.A. Salvatore

2/75 HHC Jan '09 - Dec '13
RSTB RCC Jan '14 - Present
RIP Class 01-09
Ranger School Class 08-10
kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

Ok, so week 5 is in the books. This week we spent time with our Beretta M9 and the M4A1 working on marksmanship. Monday we drew weapons and began to practice various shooting drills with the M9. We shot from multiple distances and began to get familiar with pistol marksmanship. Tuesday was more work with M9 and we had a qualification shoot at the end of the day. Wednesday we began using the M4 for zeroing and grouping. We shot out as far as 300m with iron sights, and I definitely noticed a marked improvement from OSUT. Thursday was more work with the M4 and we practiced shooting from different firing positions at different distances (prone supported and unsupported, standing to kneeling aggressive, standing to kneeling passive, and standing). All the shooting was with iron sights. And we did a lot of shooting! Friday we had the 12mile ruck march, weapons cleaning/turn-in, and misc cleaning duties around the barracks.

The instruction we received on marksmanship, this week, is world class. Personally I noticed a huge improvement in my marksmanship. Listen to the cadre when they teach and then go to the range and apply it and there should be no reason why everyone won't improve. This last week was great because it feels like we finally starting to learn the basics of being Ranger. All the training, sweat, and suck factor that get you to marksmanship week seem worth it when you realize you've begun to make the transition from trainee to Ranger. The road is still long, but it's motivating as hell when you realize you are slowly becoming a future Ranger!

Like always if any future RASP guys have questions, post them here, and I'll answer them to the best of my ability (within OPSEC of course).

Until next time...
2/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! How are the rest of the mentees doing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

Jim wrote:Good SITREP! How are the rest of the mentees doing?
Ranger Jim,
All the remaining mentees are doing great. jth456 is overall solid with everything. Him and I have become good friends. Teemoor and I stand close in formation, and we have built a solid friendship over the past 5 weeks. I don't see either of them having problems in the next 3 weeks.
2/75

kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

Week 6 is in the books.

This week the class was split by platoon. The platoon I'm In worked on breaching all week. The first day we started with a class on breaching and had a few demo's using various mechanical breaching tools. Day 2 we practiced mechanical breaching for a while, and had an excellent class on building charges. Later on in the day we had a demo of blowing different charges and what they are capable of. Day 3 we spent the day building different charges, with a Ranger buddy, and then blowing a few of them. Day 4 was basically just blowing the charges we made on day 3. Day 5 we had our last ruck, a 6 mile forced ruck, that was at fast pace, and we took the test on breaching.

Overall this has been my favorite week of RASP. The instruction we receive, as always, was professional and very informative. Building your own charges and then blowing them makes you realize the respect you need to have for this type of work. However, at the end of the day we did get paid to blow shit up. Doesn't get much better than that in my opinion.

Week 7 we start marksmanship. I've heard we shoot a lot, so that's something to look forward to.
2/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! Pleased to see that all three of you're doing well. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

Jim wrote:Good SITREP! Pleased to see that all three of you're doing well. Never, never quit!
Roger Ranger Jim,

The other mentees are both doing well. We all keep each other in line.
2/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

kensongakusei wrote:
Jim wrote:Good SITREP! Pleased to see that all three of you're doing well. Never, never quit!
Roger Ranger Jim,

The other mentees are both doing well. We all keep each other in line.
You should all be proud. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

We just finished week 7. Graduation is this coming Friday.

Week 7 focused on becoming more comfortable shooting at distance and Close Quarters Marksmanship (CQM), all while using the EOtech.. We shot at 100, 200, and 300m from all the shooting positions we have already learned. You'll be amazed how much your marksmanship will improve this week. We spent two days shooting at distance. The last two days were focused on the CQM side. We shot from 4-25m. You'll practice shooting while walking, running, moving laterally, turning and shooting, and stopped but for time.

The CQM drills have proven to be my favorite block of training do far. I've personally noticed a huge improvement in my marksmanship since the beginning of RASP. If you don't like shooting, you will after this week.

PT wise we took our last APFT, ran the Downning mile twice, and did two days of hard bodyweight exercises. We had 14 guys fail the APFT. They will get a retest next week, but they need to pass to graduate.

It's almost unbelievable that my journey to become a Ranger is almost here. Like Ranger Jim and all the other Rangers echo on this site, don't quit!

I'll post a recap of my RASP experience and try to offer helpful advice for all the future RASP guys. I probably had the exact same questions as you do. The journey has just begun, and we still have this week to get through, but so far the juice has definitely been worth the squeeze.

One more week...
2/75

kensongakusei
Ranger

Post by kensongakusei »

Along with two other mentees and the rest of RASP class 09-13, I graduated yesterday and donned my Tan Beret for the first time. Right now I'm on cloud 9, but I'm still keeping in mind that this is only the first step. Life is going to get much harder, but I'm right where I want to be in life.

I'll post an actual week 8 sitrep tomorrow (doing the family thing today) and advice that I wish I knew before RASP.

Thank you to all the Rangers who have helped me get to this moment in life!
2/75

garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

A Hearty CONGRATULATIONS. As you realize, now the real work begins. Enjoy your journey with the finest Warriors on this planet.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Your Avatar offends me change it Ranger.

Congrats little brother.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Congrats, Ranger kensongakusei . . .welcome to the Brotherhood.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:Congrats, Ranger kensongakusei . . .welcome to the Brotherhood.

RLTW!!!
I like the sound of that title!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”