Introduction: Zach

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ironlegs
Embryo

Introduction: Zach

Post by Ironlegs »

Hello Rangers, my name is Zach. Thank you for letting me have an account on your website, and thank you all for your service.

I'm 17 years old and currently live in Rhode Island. I was home-schooled for a few months shy of 2 years before learning that in my state, a diploma from a home-school is only equivalent to a GED. I started the process to get my GED in December 2012 and earned it in January 2013. I am now about to start taking classes at a Community College so I can earn the credits required for me to start talking to a recruiter and going about securing an 11X Option 40 contract.

I've been training for 4 months so far and have been making steady improvements to my PT scores. My current scores are:

Push Ups- 54
Sit Ups- 54
1 Mile Run- 9:19

I had never really ran at all until I started training, so I've had to build from the ground up. I've been following the APFT Improvement program posted by Ranger Silverback in the 'About Army Physical Training' forum for a month now. I'm working my way up to the 2 mile run and will post an update here when I reach it.

I want to be a Ranger because I want to be part of a brotherhood. I want to earn the privilege to serve our country with the best Light Infantry Soldiers in the world.

My intention is to absorb as much information as I can from this website to help better prepare myself for achieving my goals. My plan for now is to keep my head down, focus all my effort into school and PT, and bide my time until I'm good to go.

Thank you for your time. Knocking out push ups for posting.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Zach

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Zach. Good introduction. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take great pride in the fine young men who pass through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Most of the questions you might can be answered by using the Search feature, located on the top right of this page. The Search feature is your friend. Your choice of PT programs is prudent. Ranger Silverback is one of the best trainers we have. He retired from the Army a few years ago and now works for the ROTC program at University of Alabama. You have established your PT base line and you now have a basis for evaluating your progress. Please take a look at the Ranger Creed and start to think about what it means to live by that standard. As you move around the site, you will begin to realize that you are associating yourself with a group of men who hold themselves to a higher standard. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Roger that Ranger Jim.

I believe living by the Ranger Creed means constantly working to be a warrior that is a cut above the rest. It shows that just getting paid to go to war doesn't make you a warrior; a warrior is carved from his actions and the code he lives by. It also displays the amount of effort Rangers must put into living by a higher standard so they can lead the way and set the example for everyone else.

Out of the whole Ranger Creed, the last few words "though I be the lone survivor" hit me especially hard. It puts in perspective the amount of courage you must possess to be a Ranger and strongly reinforces the line "surrender is not a Ranger word".

I have memorized half of the Ranger Creed so far and will continue to put thought into what it means to live by it.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Zach.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
havoc996
Ranger

Post by havoc996 »

Lets see the 2 mile run time. There is no time like the present bud, it's not going to get any easier. Obviously your push ups and sit ups need improvement but a 1 mile means nothing to me. Forget being embarrassed by your time and just do it as fast as you can right now. I remember my NCO's telling me if I didn't puke crossing the line then I still had more to give. Truer words were never spoken. Becoming a Ranger is going to hurt and be uncomfortable. There is NO easy way. Lets see the run and then we can work on techniques to help you improve each. Make sure you are eating well and staying hydrated. You will not push yourself nearly as hard as we will push you, but that's part of the point. When you think you have nothing left FIND MORE and get it done. I want to see a 2 mile run time, not "I'm working up to it" I'm not try to dissuade you Zack I'm simply giving you a little motivation. 2 mile time... NOW!
Civilians, will never understand us. Our desire to be at the worst possible place at the exact wrong time because we hope to make a difference even if it costs us our lives, are incomprehensible to them. And yet it is so. Our prayer is not, please God, let it happen on my day off; but please God, don't let me screw this up.

HHC 1/75
10-04
OEF/OIF
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Roger Ranger havoc996, I just got back from self administering a PT Test. Here are my results:

Push Ups- 61
Sit Ups- 54
2 Mile Run: 21:59
havoc996
Ranger

Post by havoc996 »

Good job on responding to the task at hand and getting it done. You have work to do. Your PT test shows me where, so I shot you a PM to help you focus on those areas. Keep us posted and NEVER QUIT!
Civilians, will never understand us. Our desire to be at the worst possible place at the exact wrong time because we hope to make a difference even if it costs us our lives, are incomprehensible to them. And yet it is so. Our prayer is not, please God, let it happen on my day off; but please God, don't let me screw this up.

HHC 1/75
10-04
OEF/OIF
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Roger that Ranger havoc996.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

At the present time there are few option 40 available. Fortunately, time is on your side in this case. Use your time wisely and prepare your self both mentally and physically. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Roger Ranger Jim. When the time comes for me to get my contract I will not settle for anything less than exactly what I want. I will never quit. Pushing them out.
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

PM inbound, Ironlegs.
A Co, 3/75.
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

Hello, welcome to the site. My name is Michael and I'm the DIC(DEP In Charge) on this forum. Please let me know if you have any questions, and always remember these rules:

1. Capitalize Ranger
2. Address all Rangers on the site as "Ranger __(username)__
3. Forget about "Yes sir, yessir, guys, gents, etc"; all communication should be Roger Ranger ___

Thank you.
-Michael
A Co, 3/75.
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Roger MichealS, thank you.
Ironlegs
Embryo

Post by Ironlegs »

Hello Rangers, I just got back from a 2 mile run around where I live and I completed it in 15:03. I realize I still have a lot of work to do on all of my PT numbers but this has shown me that I still had a lot more to give than I thought I did when I did my last PT test this past Tuesday.

I will self administer my next APFT on June 4 and post my results here. I'm going to go PT now, so thank you for your time.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”