When to start talking with a recruiter?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Bronco
Quitter

Re: When to start talking with a recruiter?

Post by Bronco »

Thanks for the help Lomack27, it is greatly appreciated.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Lomack27
Tadpole

Post by Lomack27 »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Thanks for the help Lomack27, it is greatly appreciated.
No Problem.

Thanks,
Lomack27
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

I've been talking to my parents about joining the 14 month senior program and they aren't willing to sign for me. I tell them that they are just delaying me from signing up because when I turn eighteen I can sign up without their permission. I've made it clear to them that this is something I really want to do and that I'm not going to change my mind, but it doesn't really help. I know I can't do much about it, but can someone give me some advice about what else I could say to them to possibly change their mind?

I know there aren't any 11x Option 40's out right now, but I'm willing to wait. Also, I want to be squared away so if an 11x Option 40 unexpectedly appears I can get it.
11X OPT 40

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Mustardseed12 wrote:I've been talking to my parents about joining the 14 month senior program and they aren't willing to sign for me. I tell them that they are just delaying me from signing up because when I turn eighteen I can sign up without their permission. I've made it clear to them that this is something I really want to do and that I'm not going to change my mind, but it doesn't really help. I know I can't do much about it, but can someone give me some advice about what else I could say to them to possibly change their mind?

I know there aren't any 11x Option 40's out right now, but I'm willing to wait. Also, I want to be squared away so if an 11x Option 40 unexpectedly appears I can get it.
This is a post of yours on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Here are my PT results:

Push-ups: 35 in 2 min.
Sit-ups: 55 in 2 min.
Pull-ups: 6
2 mile run: 14:23

Wait until you are old enough or even wait two years until these scores are high enough (maybe double push-ups & pull-ups) - take the time to get your APFT scores up.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Lomack27 wrote:
Mustardseed12 wrote:Ranger Jim, I'm a little confused. Is there any way to check for 11x Option 40's at the recruiter station? I thought you could only look at contracts at MEPS and in order to go to MEPS and get a contract I would need to be in DEP?
Yes, they can check and see if there are any slots available. If there are then they can reserve you a slot a MEPS, IIRC.

Thanks,
Lomack27
Is your name Ranger Jim? Are you a Decorated and Retired Ranger Colonel also??

Are you a Ranger or a recruiter?
Don't answer me, these are rhetorical questions to make my point very clear to you.

Last I knew you weren't even a fucking DEP.

One more fucking word out of you and I'll see that you're banned from posting for 6months until you can find a miner willing to crawl up your ass and help remove your fucking head.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, I emailed my recruiter a couple of days ago about coming in today with my mom to talk about the enlistment process, but he hasn't responded, is this unusual? In the past he has gotten back to me within 24 hours, so I'm not really sure what's going on. I know recruiters can be very busy, but it's never taken this long to hear back from him. Should I email him again or wait a little longer and see if he replies?
11X OPT 40

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Rangers, I emailed my recruiter a couple of days ago about coming in today with my mom to talk about the enlistment process, but he hasn't responded, is this unusual? In the past he has gotten back to me within 24 hours, so I'm not really sure what's going on. I know recruiters can be very busy, but it's never taken this long to hear back from him. Should I email him again or wait a little longer and see if he replies?

In the time it took you to type this you could've called the office and made your own appt instead of wasting bandwidth here.

Show something worthy of yourself and learn what the term "self-starter" means.

Don't PM me again either. Your lack of effort speaks volumes.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I forgot, recruiter work 24/7, 365 days a year. They never take leave, and they never take pass. They are at their computers constantly to service any need of potential applicants. The fact that he hasn't emailed you back within 24 hours is highly unusual for sure!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

goon175 wrote:I forgot, recruiter work 24/7, 365 days a year. They never take leave, and they never take pass. They are at their computers constantly to service any need of potential applicants. The fact that he hasn't emailed you back within 24 hours is highly unusual for sure!
And I have some land in Florida...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, I emailed the Sergeant at the recruiting station asking him why my recruiter never replied back to me. He didn't really answer my question, but he told me to come in whenever so that's what I'm going to do.
11X OPT 40

PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Mustard, don't be in such a hurry. I've told you more than once wait till the class of 2013 graduates. There are no option 40's right now. 14 month senior never get a option 40 contract because DA doesn't load the training that far out. If your parents aren't willing to sign your PC wait till your 18. The Army isn't going to close up shop and stop recruiting. Your best chance for a option 40 is Mid June - Mid July.

Right now it is the end of the recruiting month and your recruiter is probably busy trying to make his mission before Thursday. So wait a week or so before you contact him.

PerryB
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, I just got back from the recruiters and I brought my mom along with me this time because I'm only seventeen and if I want to join the 14 month senior program, I'm going to need my parents consent. I think that after talking with my recruiter she is more willing to allow me to join at seventeen, but now I need to convince my dad to sign for me (they obviously haven't signed anything yet, but hopefully they will soon).

Also, I'm planning to take the computer version of the ASVAB on Monday, so I will know my scores as soon as I finish the test. I got an 84 on the practice ASVAB,but that doesn't mean anything. I have the ASVAB for Dummies book and have looked through some of it and will be sure to look through all of it by Monday.
11X OPT 40

Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, here are my ASVAB results:

AQFT- 88

Army COMPOSITE SCORES:

GT- 117
CL- 120
CO- 112
EL- 112
FA- 113
GM- 108
MM- 101
OF- 108
SC- 115
ST- 115
11X OPT 40

PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Good Job, you have the scores required for RASP.
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, both of my parents just got done talking with my recruiter. Anyways, my recruiter made it sound like if I pass RASP there is still a good chance I wouldn't be assigned to one of the three battalions in the 75th Regiment. However, I've told them if you pass RASP you're in the Regiment, but they still don't believe me because of what my recruiter said, so can any former/current Rangers please validate the fact that if you pass RASP you're in the Regiment.
11X OPT 40

Return to “Recruitment Process”