Sitrep

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Sitrep

Post by LostintheSauce »

Rangers,

Haven't posted in a long time. I am currently halfway through my MS2 year of ROTC and in my sophomore year of college. I was also rewarded a slot for a Cultural Understanding and Language Proficiency (CULP) program this summer. I wont say where I am going but this is definitely a big boost to my OML score. I am one of few who were rewarded this opportunity. The only downside to this is I probably wont be able to attend Airborne or Air Assault schools this summer, but I will have a chance to do that after LDAC.

I have been continuing doing PT and doing extra workouts when time allows, but until after LDAC, I am putting exercise second to grades. I know that my GPA and a good LDAC assessment will get me into Active Duty and my branch of choice. I could be the most fit guy on the playground but it doesnt mean anything if my grades suck. I am currently sitting at a 3.0 GPA, but my grades are good so far this semester, hence that number will continue to rise.

I have a scheduled PT test in the next 2 weeks and will post the scores.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. As you have been here more than a year. Please tell me about what you have picked up here?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Ranger Jim,

I have certainly learned a lot. Not only from this site but from the people around me. If there is one thing that I can definitely say I have learned from this site is to not expect anything. No one is going to come around and offer a world to me where I get everything I want. This may not be what many people in today's world believe but I am going to have earn what I want, and that is what I am trying to do by concentrating on grades and ROTC performance.

Another trait this site has taught me is to you know your place. I have had to learn where I can assert my opinion and authority and where I cannot. As it stands right now, the former isn't a very long list. I am going to continue working towards the goal that is closest to me, earning my Active Duty w/Infantry slot.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Aloha Rangers,

I am about one week away from completing my CULP deployment trip and wanted to take a chance out of my free time to post an update. As this trip was my first time out of the United States, this have been a humbling experience for me. When I return to the States, I will have a much higher appreciation for some things that I used to take for granted.

Being that this has been a busy summer with the trip added to the fact that i put grades above fitness last school year, my fitness has gone done much more than I would like. I am heading into my MS3 year and need to be in exceptional shape. Once I return to the States it will be my main priority until school starts again. In order to boost my fitness, I will be starting the 12 week RASP Training Plan. I am not headed in that direction but from what I have seen on this site, I am trusting it to be a great plan to get back in good shape.

The only chance I wanted to make to it was to use a rowing machine as the alternate cardio after pullup days. I have recently starting using them and I really like it. I have struggled in the past to stick to a workout plan, my fault of course. I believe this dedicated plan will help me break that cycle.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Ranger Zone IV,

It is an excuse but I find how I spent the the last school year as worth it because I now have a GPA that puts me in the running for Active Duty. I am very aware that I can improve my time management skills since I have to balance MS3 year responsibilities, grades, and fitness next year. My fitness is certainly not bad, I still improved my PT score from the beginning of the school year, but I can always be better and that is what I will be concentrating on. I apologize if it read differently. Knocking out 25 for the mistake. I gave up great fitness and average grades for a better GPA and good fitness.

From now on I will be focused on maintaining and increasing my GPA, finishing the 12 week plan, and becoming an expert at the ROTC evaluation process. 1 more year until LDAC, 2 more till the end of ROTC. Then the fun really starts.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Rangers,

I have less than one year till earning my Commission into the US Army. I have completed the ROTC Advanced Course and I believe I have matured greatly in the last year, both personally, mentally, and professionally as a future officer. I have had great opportunities to learn under all great, but different kinds leaders and am going into my last year of cadet training confident that I will be ready to take on the rank of 2LT in May.

The Accessions process for cadets is currently happening and I will receive the news of whether I was assessed into Active Duty or not and what my branch will be. My first choice is Infantry and my second and beyond has changed recently. I have now placed the Ordnance branch as my number 2 choice. Regards to that, I have a few questions for anyone who might know. First of all, how many Ordnance officers are in the Regiment and what is their usual role?

Also, are there many opportunities for Ordnance officers to attend Ranger School and other specialty schools? One of the Ordnance officers I talked to at Camp spoke greatly about how logistics was also a good path into such schools and SOF units because of the large need for logistic officers. Can any Rangers confirm or deny this?

Thank You.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LostintheSauce wrote:Rangers,

Also, are there many opportunities for Ordnance officers to attend Ranger School and other specialty schools? One of the Ordnance officers I talked to at Camp spoke greatly about how logistics was also a good path into such schools and SOF units because of the large need for logistic officers. Can any Rangers confirm or deny this?

Thank You.
Ordinance Branch has undergone great changes over the past few years. They appear to have become less technical and more logistical in their outlook. I think this has been the trend since the Ordinance School moved to Fort Lee.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

ZoneIV wrote: Regiment can say that they punched the "female" ticket.
I guarantee it!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Rangers,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I am currently at my Cadet Internship where I am able to shadow a 2LT for 4 weeks. I have all but taken over as Executive Officer for a Battery. Challenging, but a great opportunity nonetheless as it shows me the life of an officer in the garrison enviroment.

Ranger ZoneIV, thank you for the great insight into the officer side of the Ordnance branch. Ordnance is my second choice because it is one of the few branches that actually held my interest during the Branch Orientation day at Advanced Camp. Personally, I believe the whole setup was terrible, but in between the time I spent talking with the Infantry soldiers, I was able to visit briefs on Military Intelligence, Field Artillery, and of course, Ordnance. The FA brief mostly just showed the enlisted "cool stuff" side while mostly skipping over the officer side of the branch. Ordnance however caught my interest because it seems like a branch that would be a great job in general, while also learning valuable skills that would support me after I leave the Army. And like I said before, when I talked with an Ordnance officer a few days later and he told me about the SOF opportunities, it only pursued my interest further.

I'd be lying if I said I was not a little confused about the path to take. I have family members who have served/are serving in both branches, so I also get advice that leans both ways. I am of course pursuing infantry with all my heart, and while the Army has never been a check-the-box step to making big bucks, I also want to be able to have admirable skills in the civilian sector that will help me support my family when the time comes for the Army and I to part ways. The right path would seem to be to branch detail, but Ordnance no longer participates in that program.

Going into the deadline to submit my preferences, my decision is currently
1. Infantry with ADSO
2. Ordnance
3. And I am open to suggestions for what a good 3rd choice would be.

Thank You
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Rangers,

Update: I have been branched Active Duty Ordnance. Obviously its a far cry from my main hope of getting Infantry but I guess its not to be. I am thankful that I was branched active duty as that was my main goal above anything else. Now my main goal is just to be the best damn Ordnance Officer I can be and get a slot to and pass Ranger School. And obviously getting into the Regiment is still a major long term goal of mine but I am concentrating on the nearest one that I can actually do something about.

Thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LostintheSauce wrote:Rangers,

Update: I have been branched Active Duty Ordnance. Obviously its a far cry from my main hope of getting Infantry but I guess its not to be. I am thankful that I was branched active duty as that was my main goal above anything else. Now my main goal is just to be the best damn Ordnance Officer I can be and get a slot to and pass Ranger School. And obviously getting into the Regiment is still a major long term goal of mine but I am concentrating on the nearest one that I can actually do something about.

Thank you.
Fight to get a Ranger School slot. Most Ordinance officers with a Tab will be branch transfers. Your Career Manager can get you a slot. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Ranger Jim,

Interesting you said most will be branch transfers. I've always heard that transferring into Infantry as an officer is nigh on impossible. If you can elaborate on that a little more it would be very much appreciative. I have heard that pre-OBC, 1 for 1 branch swaps are possible so I am looking to that but not holding my breath.

Otherwise keeping up and continually improving my PT and preparing to enter the army as 2LT. Exciting times for sure!

Return to “Recruitment Process”