RASP Before Airborne?

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

RASP Before Airborne?

Post by blueskiesalways »

Interesting development for my son. He was sent to RASP hold before Airborne. While he was unable to give me many details of the "test"program, apparently only those that make it through RASP will go to Airborne. I'm assuming ( :idea: ) this is to reduce training costs?...What then happens to those that have Airborne in their contract?
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
mjk175
Ranger

Re: RASP Before Airborne?

Post by mjk175 »

blueskiesalways wrote:Interesting development for my son. He was sent to RASP hold before Airborne. While he was unable to give me many details of the "test"program, apparently only those that make it through RASP will go to Airborne. I'm assuming ( :idea: ) this is to reduce training costs?...What then happens to those that have Airborne in their contract?
It seems to be more and more common as the months go by for students to volunteer for Ranger training to attend airborne school, and once they obtain their wings they withdraw. This does nothing but suck up resources the students who wish to attend could really use, so it makes sense that even infantry candidates are now attending RASP first.
RSTC, RSTB, 75th Ranger Regiment 2010- present
RASP class 08-10
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

This is driven entirely by how much room they have in RASP hold and the time of the next class start date. From the perspective of one in Basic and Airborne, it will be very hit or miss.
PFC.One3Fister
Inprocessing

Post by PFC.One3Fister »

To answer your question more direct, if you don't pass RASP you lose airborne even if it's in your contract, because the 75th pays for airborne training if your going to RASP. if you go worldwide (voluntarily withdraw, medical drop, whatever..) you wait in hold to be assigned to a leg (non-airborne unit) anywhere in the world, not airborne school. As far as if they are going to continue to bring in NAPs (non-airborne personel) I foresee them doing that more in the future. It saves money and punches quitters where it hurts.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

SITREP: After having to recycle for medical reasons my son made it through phase1, Boards and peer review. He's in weapons training etc. now...Called with a Projected RASP graduation date July 14th...
Anyone going to be at Benning on that date...I'm sure I'll be very thirsty :) :) :)
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

blueskiesalways wrote:SITREP: After having to recycle for medical reasons my son made it through phase1, Boards and peer review. He's in weapons training etc. now...Called with a Projected RASP graduation date July 14th...
Anyone going to be at Benning on that date...I'm sure I'll be very thirsty :) :) :)

I'll be at his graduation. 1st beers on me.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Invictus wrote:
blueskiesalways wrote:SITREP: After having to recycle for medical reasons my son made it through phase1, Boards and peer review. He's in weapons training etc. now...Called with a Projected RASP graduation date July 14th...

I'll be at his graduation. 1st beers on me.
Looks like I may be on the road for this.
Mich3/75
Ranger

Post by Mich3/75 »

The day before Ranger Ball. Perfect time to graduate.
C co. 3/75 2011-current
denmother58
Ranger Mom

Post by denmother58 »

My son is set to graduate from OSUT on August 5th. He has a contract 40 (OSUT/Airborne/RASP)and is concerned that with Airborne school in September he may not get into RASP this year and will have to wait until January 2012. Can he request RASP before Airborne?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

denmother58

Post by Steadfast »

denmother58 wrote:My son is set to graduate from OSUT on August 5th. He has a contract 40 (OSUT/Airborne/RASP)and is concerned that with Airborne school in September he may not get into RASP this year and will have to wait until January 2012. Can he request RASP before Airborne?
Ma'am, would you be so kind and make an introduction in the proper intro forum.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “About RASP”