Recruits dropping RIP contract during Airborne

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
justamom
Embryo

Recruits dropping RIP contract during Airborne

Post by justamom »

Rangers,

Thank you for allowing me to post a question to you.

Very proud of our son, he just graduated AIT w/ 11B opt. 40. He's currently in Airborne hold Ft. Benning till Thurs., then they process into AB School and start Monday. He told me that "they" are tempting them with choice of Airborne stations if they drop their RIP contracts. They confirmed RIP (RASP) will most likely start in January. My son said a LOT of them have already dropped their contracts and have orders as of today. Some of them dropped due to choice of duty station, others because they weren't confident with their PT scores.They just graduated AIT last Friday. I'm guessing they are weeding out already. My son hasn't made a move yet. They are giving them Italy, Germany etc.

They are 18 years old...they think cool, Italy. But I'm just thinking, how much of Italy can they see from Afghanistan?

Many of them think they will be able to get a Ranger contract when they reenlist, as long as they are "squared away"?? I've heard otherwise, but I would appreciate your experienced opinions regarding getting another chance "later".

My son's last PT score was 289 (working on getting it higher), 2nd in his Platoon, expert marksmanship, he's in really good shape and has wanted this for a very long time. My big question is, how probable is it if these guys drop now that they will be able to secure another Ranger contract in the future?

Apologize for any misuse of terms etc...still learning! Thank you for your help Rangers.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Recruits dropping RIP contract during Airborne

Post by rgrokelley »

I recently had a couple of my JROTC cadets make it into the 1st and 2nd Ranger Battalions. One of them called me up while he was in jump school. He said that he was thinking about dropping his slot in RIP and going to the 82nd Airborne. He wanted to be closer to home, he wasn't sure he could make it, and he thought he could do it later on.

I told him what you can tell your son. Cut and paste this if you wish.

Throughout my life I have met hundreds of people who, upon learning I am a Ranger, say "I could have been a Ranger, but I got hurt in [fill in the blank]" or "I was going to go Ranger, but I had to [fill in the blank]" All of these people offer an excuse for what they know is the unexcusable. They didn't have what it takes, and then they backed out before they would ever learn. They will forever be branded. You might as well put a scarlet "P" on their shirts. Though the regular citizens of the world would not know, nor care, that they didn't go, in their own hearts they know. They will always know. When they encounter a Ranger all they can do is offer an excuse, while not making eye contact. If your son backs down now, he will most likely never get another chance again. He will go through life being that guy who mumbles an excuse, and then shuffles away, regretting his past decisions. If he went through RIP and didn't make it, at least he would forever be able to say "I tried". But to back out before even trying... well, there is only one word for that. That word will haunt him forever.

My cadet listened to my advice, continued, and is now in the Rangers.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

rgrokelley wrote:I well, there is only one word for that. That word will haunt him forever.

Actually two, fucking quitter

Tell him to live up to his word. he doesn't do it now then what about when he gets married, has kids, shakes a man's hand
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

My son heard the whole "Italy thing" too, and, yes, some took it. He thought they were insane--this just completely blew his mind!

This is weeding out those who aren't worth the training, time or money. If they don't have the stamina, the follow-thru or desire to be there, then they need to take the "other path".
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Boudicca wrote:My son heard the whole "Italy thing" too, and, yes, some took it. He thought they were insane--this just completely blew his mind!

This is weeding out those who aren't worth the training, time or money. If they don't have the stamina, the follow-thru or desire to be there, then they need to take the "other path".
Exactly.... low hanging fruit first.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Justamom,

You'll find that the mentality of "Never Quit" is quite pervasive here. The reason he wanted to be a Ranger in the first place, at least to some extent, is the same reason he should stay his course now...because he'll know he's not surrounded by quitters. He'll be in a unit where everyone had a chance, or multiple chances to go elsewhere, and chose to stay there, even fought to stay there.

If that isn't good enough, then it probably isn't the place for him to begin with.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Justamom,
One of my Ranger buddies told me something the other day after we met someone who "could have" been a Ranger.

You either have a Scroll, or a story.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Some excellent comments here, Some harsh, some just pointed. Regardless, the message is the same. Either he wants it or he doesnt. There is no middle ground. And Rgrokelly's comments...powerful. All that could have, would have but didnt have the mental makeup to do it. Now, all they have are excuses. In over 30 years I have met hundreds of them. All with the same bullshit stories except ONE. A State Policeman stopped me about 2 years ago and saw the scroll and tab on my back window. He shook his head, he shook my hand, and said...I didnt have what it took. Him, he gets my respect. The rest...my contempt. Not because they werent Rangers but because they make excuses with could have, should have, would have......
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
justamom
Embryo

Post by justamom »

Everyone, Rangers and parents (some of whom have pm'd me too), thank you for ALL of your comments.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Rock Island Ranger wrote: The rest...my contempt. Not because they werent Rangers but because they make excuses with could have, should have, would have......
I wonder if leg track monkeys feel the same way about us? :shock:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nwrestler wrote:In airborne hold 22 out of 40 have dropped their option 40s. They were told they could write down a prefered duty station but it says on their orders needs of the army. The sad part is motivated guys that asked if they could pick up the contracts were told no. We were told we will be the first RASP class after the new year.
Well, Nwrestler, looks like you get to "Lead the way." Stay motivated and never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

I will never forget standing in formation in front of the RIP barracks on North Fort for the very first time. It was Fall, 1980. George Conrad was prowling the ranks. Pat Mooney was jerking guys around like rag-dolls, placing them into a correct position of attention. A lot of us learned, the hard way, how to lock up and then not to move, no matter what, staring straight ahead.

This was the "old Army." The instructors could still put their hands on you, and they did. There was no such thing as "political correctness." We all got pushed, punched, and manhandled that day. It was clear that we were not in the "regular Army" at that point.

Conrad came up in front of me, and he just looked at me. I did not break discipline. Then that old fucker leaned up and he kissed me on the cheek. I still did not flinch. He moved on to the next guy.

Hell, yes, I was intimidated. The instructors were some bad-ass looking motherfuckers. Conrad himself oozed malevolency.

After five minutes of leaving us locked up, he stalked to the front of the formation, and then he said, "who wants to quit?"

I was astonished when half of the guys in the formation raised their hands.

All that he said was, "get back on the bus." It was still parked on the side of the road. The driver never even turned off the engine.

After they left... then things got wild.

I wish that I could go back through it, all over again.

Best time of my life.

PS: In retrospect, this was actually an important learning point for me. I realized that the fears that you created in your own mind, the monsters that you created in your own imagination, usually far eclipsed the actual dangers, or the real things to be feared.

Those other guys talked a lot of shit at the Repo Depot. They all quit before they even got started.

They faked themselves out.

I am glad that they did.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

. wrote:
ma91c1an wrote: I realized that the fears that you created in your own mind, the monsters that you created in your own imagination, usually far eclipsed the actual dangers, or the real things to be feared.
Brother, truer words have never been spoken.

Yep ...... I had a SSG from 3-75 tell me that in Basic ....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

rgrpuck wrote:
. wrote:
ma91c1an wrote: I realized that the fears that you created in your own mind, the monsters that you created in your own imagination, usually far eclipsed the actual dangers, or the real things to be feared.
Brother, truer words have never been spoken.

Yep ...... I had a SSG from 3-75 tell me that in Basic ....
and I had a SSG tell me that in RIP.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “About RASP”