"College First" Option question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Kaius 89
Embryo

"College First" Option question

Post by Kaius 89 »

I was just researching various Army enlistment options, and came upon the "College First" Option. It is essentially like the Delayed Entry program but for longer and you can receive a stipend from the Army. It seems like a good program but I assumed that you would not be able to do this and be guaranteed an Option 40 as well. However, a section in the article made me think otherwise-

"When first enlisting under the "College First" program, applicants are not guaranteed a specific job. They return to the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) six months before they are scheduled to ship out to basic training, for job selection. Upon receiving their degree (or finishing the program), they are enlisted at the advanced rank of E-4 (if they have earned a minimum of 30 credit hours), and ship out to basic training within 30 days."

Would it be possible to work with recruiters while in this program to get an Option 40 when you return to MEP?

An information would be much appreciated.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: "College First" Option question

Post by hit_it »

I have not seen anyone guaranteed an option 40 with college first because you joined, because you had to go back a year later to make your job reservation for the year after when you actually left for training. The jobs are not loaded up front, and you would not be able to have any advantage over the people who would be joining that day without the college first plan.

I would not think it impossible to get the job if it's available, but being college first is not going to give you a leg up. I would only be worried about testing high enough and then being physically qualified with the resolve to walk out if they won't call the ROC and get you a slot if one is not readily available.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”