"New" Blackwater Scandal

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
BadMuther
BANNED

"New" Blackwater Scandal

Post by BadMuther »

:roll:

Full story

A federal grand jury in North Carolina is investigating allegations the controversial private security firm Blackwater illegally shipped assault weapons and silencers to Iraq, hidden in large sacks of dog food, ABCNews.com has learned.

I get so sick of the blasting BW takes. It's a shot at all PMC's. Since the Liberals can't blast soldiers anymore, they do the next best thing-rip on ex-soldiers.

Check out some of the comments for a good laugh.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Fuck'em if the libby cunts can't take a joke.........

Good for BW!
Silverback
Ranger

Re: "New" Blackwater Scandal

Post by Silverback »

A Blackwater spokesperson, Anne Tyrrell, said certain arms shipments were sent to Iraq surrounded by dog food "to secure them on the airplane and not to smuggle them."

When you have a company spokesperson making statements like this...it doesn't improve the company's position.

I would recommend that when Blackwater is up to shady shit (and odds are good) they need someone who can respond better than "To secure them on the plane". Having loaded a plane or two for international travel I know that you do not mix unlike cargo on a pallet without declaring it on the packing list. So...if the company if being forthright it should be easy enough to produce the packing list for the load(s)!

Of course it makes for better conversation to turn this in to a "Liberal witch hunt".
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I should add that I think Blackwater is the victim of it's own success. It all started right about the time they declared the ability to field a "Combat brigade"...Coincidence?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I agree on both points made by the Ape.

The time for PMC's in theatre is short.........
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

PMC's have historicly always been around and always will be. this is just the latest incarnation.

Read "Wardogs" by AJ Verner. facinateing. He concentrates on Africa and EO operations alot.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:PMC's have historicly always been around and always will be. this is just the latest incarnation.

Read "Wardogs" by AJ Verner. facinateing. He concentrates on Africa and EO operations alot.
I agree. The difference with BW is the aggressive nature of their business model and subsequent PR campaign. Most PMCs have been back burner and low visibility. BW has been very high visibility, which accounts for it's growth, reputation and subsequent repudiation.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:PMC's have historicly always been around and always will be. this is just the latest incarnation.

I agree. The difference with BW is the aggressive nature of their business model and subsequent PR campaign. Most PMCs have been back burner and low visibility. BW has been very high visibility, which accounts for it's growth, reputation and subsequent repudiation.
So true, but a jab at BW is a jab at all PMC's. The article made a big deal about an "unlicensed two-way radio". Big Deal. I have no idea why BW is shipping rifles but if the end result is that some American is safer because of it then I am all for it.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:

Roger. So was EO. Because of the high profile EO didnt survive. When you have the UN getting involved in you business thing will get dicey. If BW isnt careful they will run into the same issues......the biggest advantage they have is state dept sponsorship in alot of areas .....then again I could be totally off.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote: Roger. So was EO. Because of the high profile EO didnt survive. When you have the UN getting involved in you business thing will get dicey. If BW isnt careful they will run into the same issues......the biggest advantage they have is state dept sponsorship in alot of areas .....then again I could be totally off.
I think the announcement of being able to deploy a "Brigade combat team" scared some people and made the company seem presumptive. As if America needs a private brigade?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote: Roger. So was EO. Because of the high profile EO didnt survive. When you have the UN getting involved in you business thing will get dicey. If BW isnt careful they will run into the same issues......the biggest advantage they have is state dept sponsorship in alot of areas .....then again I could be totally off.
I think the announcement of being able to deploy a "Brigade combat team" scared some people and made the company seem presumptive. As if America needs a private brigade?
True.

But this isnt something new. EO effectivly stopped two wars in Africa (Seirra leon, Angola) almost single handedly.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:
True.

But this isnt something new. EO effectivly stopped two wars in Africa (Seirra leon, Angola) almost single handedly.
But they did so without the benefit of telling the public all about it.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

If you want a good idea how the general public views PMC's (and where most of them get there opinion of such), read "Outsourced" by RJ Hillhouse. It's fiction by the largest margin possible.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Ranger Luna wrote:I agree on both points made by the Ape.

The time for PMC's in theatre is short.........
Please do expound on that thought.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Silverback wrote:As if America needs a private brigade?
America could "use" a private BDE, just as it is using IC's all over the place for various government contracts.

I am somewhat familiar with the problems this poses regarding a handful of topics, but to shoot down the concept isn't necessarily the best COA.

Return to “The News Dump”