Conditioning feet for Rucking

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
CaseyJones
Embryo

Conditioning feet for Rucking

Post by CaseyJones »

I just recently returned 2 weeks ago from 9 weeks of my infantry osut training (High School Split Op) As soon as I got back I ordered an ALICE pack just as we had down at Benning so that I could maintain my ability to ruck well while I wait to go back down. Well this past Weds I went out with 65lbs loaded and went for a 18 mile march (the longest we did so far at Benning was 8.5 Miles, which really) I did it in about 5 hours and was feeling pretty decent with the exception of a splitting pain in my left foot which I just blew off thinking it was nothing. Well, my foot turned black between the toes and up (looks like deep bruising) and pretty swollen (x2 it's normal size) It's only been like this for about 3 or so days and the swelling is starting to go down although I still can't really run on it. My question is what did I do wrong here? Should I have recovered for a little bit more time after being back, or should I lightened the load or distance? All I've heard about is the crazy rucks you have to do in Regiment from one my DS's which is why I wanted to train hard on it while I was home. Any tips on what I should do to improve my rucking while trying to avoid any injury or should I just keep doing what I'm doing to toughen out my feet. Thanks to Rangers and all who help me out with this one.
UNATAINABLE E5
Ranger

Post by UNATAINABLE E5 »

Well doing 10 miles further than you have ever done was a bit stupid. Your Drill Sausage probably has never been to Rgt and therefore really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Yes Rangers have been known to walk a good distance, but they do so because they know they can. There is a reason that the only standardized road march in Bn. these days is the 12 miler. RIP has a 6, then an 8, and finally a 12 miler. Now if Basic training had worked you up to 18 and 20 mile movements, like I have heard they used to, (I wouldn't know, I attended basic with split tails!) then an 18 miler by a high school student wouldn't be that bad. I applaude you hooah-ness but your jumping the gun. The day of Rangers humping god aweful distances is over, for now anyway. I say continue to ruck, once you healed. But work you way up to those kind of distances.
5-08
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
Samuel Adams, 1779
Oto-Man
Ranger

Re: Conditioning feet for Rucking

Post by Oto-Man »

CaseyJones wrote:I just recently returned 2 weeks ago from 9 weeks of my infantry osut training (High School Split Op) As soon as I got back I ordered an ALICE pack just as we had down at Benning so that I could maintain my ability to ruck well while I wait to go back down. Well this past Weds I went out with 65lbs loaded and went for a 18 mile march (the longest we did so far at Benning was 8.5 Miles, which really) I did it in about 5 hours and was feeling pretty decent with the exception of a splitting pain in my left foot which I just blew off thinking it was nothing. Well, my foot turned black between the toes and up (looks like deep bruising) and pretty swollen (x2 it's normal size) It's only been like this for about 3 or so days and the swelling is starting to go down although I still can't really run on it. My question is what did I do wrong here? Should I have recovered for a little bit more time after being back, or should I lightened the load or distance? All I've heard about is the crazy rucks you have to do in Regiment from one my DS's which is why I wanted to train hard on it while I was home. Any tips on what I should do to improve my rucking while trying to avoid any injury or should I just keep doing what I'm doing to toughen out my feet. Thanks to Rangers and all who help me out with this one.
Easy answer stud,

Stop trying to be a fucking hero!

Going from 8 1/2 to 18 is just a stupid move. Crawl, walk, run. And as far as the DS you were listening to...I hope he had a scroll somewhere on his uniform, or in his past to back up his "Ranger Experience" he was giving you.

The distance is probably what fubared your foot (or it could have been that your boots are bad).

Either way...calm down...read the information in the forums here, and stay off that foot until it heals...I have seen more than one person cook their shot at getting what they want due to self inflicted, preventable injury.

And just so you know, 5 hours with only 65lbs is NOT something to feel good about. Try 60% of your body weight...and just a measly 8 miles ...after your foot heals, of course...then tell me about that.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
CaseyJones
Embryo

Post by CaseyJones »

Thank you both Ranger Oto-Man and Ranger Unatainable. I agree I wasn't think very intelligently. As for boots, right now I'm breaking in new Belleville 390s so they were pretty stiff. And yes, Ranger Oto-Man, I'll try an 8mi with 115lbs as soon as I heal up. That may be a better idea, add more weight and shorten the distance; harder but maybe not as bad on the feet. Again thanks to both Rangers for your responses and advice.
CaseyJones
Embryo

Post by CaseyJones »

When my football trainer saw it he told me to stay off it for the next few days and that if the swelling didn't go down and the bruising didn't turn color then he would send me to a doctor to see if I had any nerve damage. Right now though it's gone down a considerable amount so I'm not to worried about it, just looking at it as a learning experience.
UNATAINABLE E5
Ranger

Post by UNATAINABLE E5 »

CaseyJones wrote:Thank you both Ranger Oto-Man and Ranger Unatainable. I agree I wasn't think very intelligently. As for boots, right now I'm breaking in new Belleville 390s so they were pretty stiff. And yes, Ranger Oto-Man, I'll try an 8mi with 115lbs as soon as I heal up. That may be a better idea, add more weight and shorten the distance; harder but maybe not as bad on the feet. Again thanks to both Rangers for your responses and advice.
listen to signalpuke, 115 lbs is stupid. Honestly I would stay around 50 lbs plus water. I work for RIP and that will get you where you need to be. ONCE YOU ARE HEALED, do 6-8 mile at a 15 minute pace. 15 minute miles is the standard and for all your train up, that should be adhered to. Once you are really comfortable, with 8 mile rucks, then you can move up. Not moving up 10 miles but try a 10 miler. After a few of those, then try 12. Remember, you are training for RIP, not some crazy Iron man shit. The ability to complete some gut check 20 miler is good, but should not be in your sights right now. Let Bn. do that for you.
5-08
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
Samuel Adams, 1779
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

CaseyJones wrote:When my football trainer saw it he told me to stay off it for the next few days and that if the swelling didn't go down and the bruising didn't turn color then he would send me to a doctor to see if I had any nerve damage. Right now though it's gone down a considerable amount so I'm not to worried about it, just looking at it as a learning experience.

Yeah a football trainer qualifies as a Medical professional :roll:

shut up and execute
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

UNATAINABLE E5 wrote:
CaseyJones wrote:Thank you both Ranger Oto-Man and Ranger Unatainable. I agree I wasn't think very intelligently. As for boots, right now I'm breaking in new Belleville 390s so they were pretty stiff. And yes, Ranger Oto-Man, I'll try an 8mi with 115lbs as soon as I heal up. That may be a better idea, add more weight and shorten the distance; harder but maybe not as bad on the feet. Again thanks to both Rangers for your responses and advice.
listen to signalpuke, 115 lbs is stupid. Honestly I would stay around 50 lbs plus water. I work for RIP and that will get you where you need to be. ONCE YOU ARE HEALED, do 6-8 mile at a 15 minute pace. 15 minute miles is the standard and for all your train up, that should be adhered to. Once you are really comfortable, with 8 mile rucks, then you can move up. Not moving up 10 miles but try a 10 miler. After a few of those, then try 12. Remember, you are training for RIP, not some crazy Iron man shit. The ability to complete some gut check 20 miler is good, but should not be in your sights right now. Let Bn. do that for you.

Listen to this one....My description was not for the sake of training....It was simply the standard when I was there...
not at RIP....

at 2nd Batt.

I thought that was the question.....

To get through RIP and make it to a Battalion...

Follow the above good advice and you will be fine.

I was only a 90 Gunner...what the fuck do I know about heavy road marches?
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Oto-Man wrote: I was only a 90 Gunner...what the fuck do I know about heavy road marches?
We all know that tube was empty!!
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

RangerX wrote:
Oto-Man wrote: I was only a 90 Gunner...what the fuck do I know about heavy road marches?
We all know that tube was empty!!
You are so right!!! I forgot after many years...that EMPTY tube ONLY weighed in at 37 1/2 lbs...!!!!What was I thinking!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I've found that the best foot conditioning drill is...

Find an Old Polish woman (with a goatee) and have her beat the bottom of your bare feet with a kielbasa as you lay in a bathtub full of stale beer wearing nothing more than a Speedo and a smile.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Silverback wrote:I've found that the best foot conditioning drill is...

Find an Old Polish woman (with a goatee) and have her beat the bottom of your bare feet with a kielbasa as you lay in a bathtub full of stale beer wearing nothing more than a Speedo and a smile.
I just threw up a little but in my mouth.

But now I am Googling for the images..... :twisted:

Rule 34!!
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Silverback wrote:I've found that the best foot conditioning drill is...

That actually sounds like it it might work...

All good advice here. Be smart and listen to it.

I always looked at road marching as a gut check, because I carried more weight than most. (and the medics don't really get a chance to rest when the others do. We have feet to take care of..) The easiest 15 miler I ever did was the first half of 30. Once you get moving you kind of zone out and it becomes automatic.

signalpuke and unatainable e-5 speak-um heap big truth. If you had to concentrate on doing one thing, it would be proper foot care. If your dogs aren't holding up, it can make an easy walk absolutely miserable. Properly fitted boots and socks are absolutely key.

There is a ton of info on this here and elsewhere so I'll leave you to do some searchin'..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Information OverLoad I call it...

Hey there Casey Jones.

Most of my peers, myself and many of my heroes, enlisted without ever doing a road march.

Not one, not one fucking mile with a sold to the lowest bidder, shitty developed hunk of nylon filled with dead weight.

There are standards to the weight of the roadmarch to get where you need to be. I'm too lazy to search, but I bet you can find them on this site.

Good luck.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Return to “About Army Physical Training”