9 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Attack in Afghanistan

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

9 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Attack in Afghanistan

Post by BruteForce »

KABUL, Afghanistan — Taliban insurgents carried out a bold assault on a remote base near the border with Pakistan on Sunday, NATO reported, and a senior American military official said nine American soldiers were killed.

The attack, the worst against Americans in Afghanistan in three years, illustrated the growing threat of Taliban militants and their associates, who in recent months have made Afghanistan a far deadlier war zone for American-led forces than Iraq.

More Follows

------------------------

R.I.P.

Freedom is never free!
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
RangerBob275
Ranger

Post by RangerBob275 »

I found Wanat village on a UN map and it is 50Kms from the Pakistan border (33KM NW of the province capital of Asadabad) and 4 KMs from the Nuristan Province).
A/2/75, 1976-80, Class 7-77
Black Sheep
US Army Retired 1976-1998
Living and Working in the Sandbox since 2002
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

One Afghan official said that 400 insurgents, including Arab and Chechen fighters, had crossed the frontier from Pakistan’s lawless tribal areas into Nuristan in recent weeks.
Full story

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R.I.P. Warriors.

--

I speculate that....

Since the Taliban have re-enforced from Chechnya and Arabs. It means means that they either came in from Iran or from the north being Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Tajikistan.

The Chechnyans more than likely trucked in through Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan then Pakistan. Or Azerbaijan, Iran then pakistan.

The Arabs most likely from Iraq to Iran then Pakistan down south.
Last edited by Chiron on July 14th, 2008, 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Any word on the unit would be nice, when it is made known officially.

RIP, Soldiers.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

PocketKings wrote:Any word on the unit would be nice, when it is made known officially.

RIP, Soldiers.
Yep I would like too know as well.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Whomever they are, they put up one hell of a fight.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

It's hard to muster gumption when things are going to hell in a hand basket. Good on these warriors for fighting bravely.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I just read that we lost 15 additional soldiers during that battle when an RPG took out a helicopter.

I wonder why the original news stories only indicated the 8 killed during the land battle and omitted the 15 killed in the air?

Additionally, follow-up stories indicate the new FOB was penetrated by the insurgents before being pushed back/killed.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

BruteForce wrote:I just read that we lost 15 additional soldiers during that battle when an RPG took out a helicopter.

I wonder why the original news stories only indicated the 8 killed during the land battle and omitted the 15 killed in the air?

Additionally, follow-up stories indicate the new FOB was penetrated by the insurgents before being pushed back/killed.
It has been my experience that the first report is usually very wrong.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
BruteForce wrote:I just read that we lost 15 additional soldiers during that battle when an RPG took out a helicopter.

No shit....

This wouldnt be the first time Haj got in the wire over there. if it happened.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:

No shit....

Base defense is a tricky business and it gets trickier because when you start talking about base defense to Commanders you usually get the "That's the Fobbit's job...not ours", response.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote: It has been my experience that the first report is usually very wrong.
No shit....

Base defense is a tricky business and it gets trickier because when you start talking about base defense to Commanders you usually get the "That's the Fobbit's job...not ours", response.
True....I think this was a smaller COP. (combat outpost) A significantly smaller element. If it took place where I think it did, then, terrian is a huge factor. and was working aginst them.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote: No shit....

True....I think this was a smaller COP. (combat outpost) A significantly smaller element. If it took place where I think it did, then, terrian is a huge factor. and was working aginst them.
So a "COP" is a "Combat Outpost"...just fucking with you. I can't help but wonder and come up with a thousand questions.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

The AAR from this is going to be one of those 'Night of the Silver Stars' type stories. I can't imagine what those guys went through.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote: Base defense is a tricky business and it gets trickier because when you start talking about base defense to Commanders you usually get the "That's the Fobbit's job...not ours", response.
So a "COP" is a "Combat Outpost"...just fucking with you. I can't help but wonder and come up with a thousand questions.

Yeah there are going to be people "What if" ...this one to death
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Return to “The News Dump”