Creeping Death... A Sniper???

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

DEP
This is in the wrong forum.
B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

A lot of things have changed since I came home, so much of my answer may not be accurate in today's Regiment.

First, I will answer your question about how long it takes to get the slot. I began my quest to be assigned to the sniper section my first week in Bat. I sought out the sniper section leader at that time, and asked him what I needed to do to make it to the sniper section. I followed his advice, I talked to the guys in the sniper section whenever I could, in order to keep my face familiar with them (which would occasionally cost me a few pushups). They all knew that I was a country boy, and was weened with a rifle in my hand, which put me ahead of my competition.

I was told that I could not be assigned to the sniper section until I had gotten my Tab, because due to the sniper's mission, there's too much on the line to have to deal with a cherry that don't know shit. After we came out of the field in Florida Phase, I called home to the CQ desk, and the sniper section leader at the time just happened to be on CQ that day. He told me to get my ass home and pack my shit, cause I was on the sniper's books from that moment on. Basicly, due to me playing the politics the way I did, they wanted me up there. I just had to get my Tab first. When I did that, my transfer was immediate. My time in Bat. at that point was about nineteen months.

However, we were later assigned a cherry to the sniper section, based on needs at the time. I was not happy about it at all at the time, but he turned out to be one of the best privates I was ever responsible for. I have no clue as to whether or not you can get assigned to the sniper section as a cherry now, or not.

Secondly, as far as sniper school goes, I have no clue. I never attended sniper school. I was trained by two senior snipers in the sniper section that attended SOTIC, which is a much better school. I got my SOTIC slot, and showed up for the school, but some fucking PAC clerk didn't send my medical records to them, so I had to come home without attending the school. Due to other things going on in 1/75 at that time, by the time I could go back, I was too short, and would have had to re-up for another 3-4 years to get the school. I chose to come home.

At that time, you did not need the school to be a sniper. You were trained on the job. You DID, however, have to have the school to be appointed section leader.

As far as the mission difference from the line, I'm not going to violate OPSEC. I will tell you that the line looks at the sniper section as a cake job, but it is not. The snipers play by their own rules to a certain extent, due to a lack of official sniper doctrine. Snipers have a little more freedom than the line squads do, for which they are sometimes resented. With that extra freedom comes more responsibility, and more pressure for superb job performance. If you mess up in the line, your plattoon knows it. If you mess up in the sniper section, everyone knows it.

As far as what they do, I will say that their job is to support the line plattons with a particular interest to reconaissance, and support by precision fire.

Being a sniper may not be the best career choice out there. My goal going in the the service was to be a Ranger Sniper. But, promotions may come quicker to those that choose to stay in the line and get team leader and squad leader time. Your career would be better rounded with squad leader time, than it would with sniper time.

If you want to be a sniper, you'd better get used to carrying A LOT of weight. Just like all the Rangers on this board, I held many positions in Bat., from SAW gunner (heavy ruck due to ammo weight), RTO (even heavier ruck), etc. I humped more weight in the sniper section than I did anywhere else - by far. Even the damn mortar section guys would comment on how heavy our rucks were.

So, a word of advice. If you want to be a sniper, and you are daydreaming on the road march in RIP with your 55lb ruck (and it is kicking your ass), just think of how much fun you're gonna have when you accomplish your goal, become s sniper, and trade in that 55lb lightweight for real ruck.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Moderator, do you have the capability to move this thread to the appropriate forum?
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”