Is knife fighting irrelevant?

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
MrWesson22
Soldier

Is knife fighting irrelevant?

Post by MrWesson22 »

I know it's still taught. I was just wondering how you actually feel about it. I don't know shit. Does knife fighting actually ever happen in combat anymore?

Also, along the same lines, what kind of knives do you guys like for combat (by combat I mean mainly used as a tool/utility but would be the one called upon for fighting if needed)?
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

the swiss army knife

because the only thing guaranteed to be cut is your mre
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I've always had a fondness for knives, so I probably carried more than most. I always carried one of those big Ghurka knives on my ruck to use for brush,instead of those cheesy Army issue machetes that tear up your hands. I also carried a very expensive Swiss Army knife, which came in handy many times when I was an AG. I never really worried about carrying a 'fighting knife', as the issue bayonet is as good as any 'Rambo' knife you could ever need.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

That's basically what I was thinking. I'm a blade fan as well. Something ridiculously large like the SOG Tigershark (9" blade) would be nice to have around for some jobs I would guess, but it would probably be a pain in the ass to carry as well.
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

There are utility knives (usually some type of folder) and there are battle blades (meant for one thing only), guys who like knives will most likely have both. As for "knife fighting", never, i repeat NEVER, fight with equal weapon systems (making assumption you have choice). If he brings knife bring club (e-tool is good), if he brings club bring gun, if he brings brute force bring brick ( 2 X 4 acceptable). The point is always use superior force/weapon along with good tactics to win, after all in combat its not about being fair. In CQB which is what i think you are asking about, it sounds like you cannot deploy your firearm for whatever reason, in that case i hope you have practised drawing your edged weapon (dressed in full gear and in different positions ie on the ground, left side right side, face down, face up, left hand right hand etc) or you will not be able to deploy it quickly (again assuming you were not ambushed and had time to draw your blade). The standard issue bayonet is good but guys who like knives will want their own personal one, my favorite was the tried and true USMC knife with razor sharp edge, plenty of strength to get the job done and cheap too...what more could you ask for.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A friend of mine was at a party when a guy ran up punched him in the stomach.My friend ran after him, but couldn't catch up, so he went back to the party.A little time went by and he went inside to take a leak.That was when he saw the blood running down his legs and onto his shoes.The"punch' was a stab with a six inch hunting knife.He went to the E.R. and survived, but that goes to show how a knife isn't very lethal unless you know exactly where to strike with it.A relative of mine who is a veteran of WW II said that their weapon of choice for silent sentry/CQB was a hatchet. I'm sure that Roger's Rangers thought very well of their hatchets too.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

I was wondering about that too. Didn't the LRPP guys carry tomahawks during Vietnam? I've read posts on a knife forum about several servicemen who are members there (mostly Marines) carrying them during the latest action in Iraq and finding them greatly useful. I would think something like that would be handy for general cutting as well as busting open locks, doors, skulls, etc if the need arose. It of course would be extra weight, but would the usefulness be worth the extra load?
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Isn't one of the events in the Best Ranger Competition hatchet throwing?
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

My friend ran after him, but couldn't catch up, so he went back to the party.A little time went by and he went inside to take a leak.That was when he saw the blood running down his legs and onto his shoes.

What do you think would have happened if he would have caught him ?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I'm sure thay would have gave each other a hug and been friends. This was a typical Appalachian saturday night party. :roll:
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

No offense Slug, but telling anyone that a knife is not a lethal weapon unless it strikes just the right place is inaccurate and could cause someone who reads it to adopt a dangerous mindset towards edged weapons. I'm sure thats not what you meant because an assailant armed with an edged weapon will win the fight if reasonably competent. It does not take power or years and years of training with a blade to be deadly. Thrusting into a target is preferred but not always necessary, biomechanical cutting can be physically and psychologically incapacitating for some people because of the damage. Your friend was VERY lucky, since you did not say that he armed himself in the process, had he caught up with his attacker he may not have lived to tell about it.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Maybe I should have made a distinction between lethal and fatal. My point was that stabbing someone with a knife, unless in the right spot, may not have an immediate effect and they may still beat you senseless before they even know that they were stabbed.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Well, there is an old saying for that....."I'd rather be lucky than smart".
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

Does anyone know if Rangers are still allowed to carry their personal knives during missions? I'd say by Earth Pig's prior post it's a pretty safe assumption Rangers were in the past. A nice Randall #1 sure would be nice (make mine an 8" in stainless steel with a nickel hilt and stag handle please).
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

In the late 70's Rangers were allowed to carry a personal knife in the field, many carried while on base also. It was a exemption from the norm due to your status as a Ranger. My personal favorite to carry on base was a Gerber Mark I boot knife clipped inside my right, front pants pocket. Don't know whats allowed in todays Batt. but i hope things are not too restricted now, political correctness and all that crap. You never know, some "Don't ask, Don't tell" Legg might see you carrying on base and piss their pants right there. The psychological trauma would be enough to get him a medical discharge and it would all be the Rangers fault.

<========/IIIIIII)

Return to “Close Combat”