German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures.

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures.

Post by VengefulIcebox »

Corrected from 1 in 45,000 to 1 in 450 chances. :shock:
----------------

Tue Apr 15, 5:43 PM ET

BERLIN (AFP) - A 13-year-old German schoolboy corrected NASA's estimates on the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, a German newspaper reported Tuesday, after spotting the boffins had miscalculated.
If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, that will change its trajectory making it hit earth on its next orbit in 2036.
The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.

Link to Yahoo News

-----------------

Get a cool beachtowel and a surfboard for 2036. Could be a good show along the Atlantic coast.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

The numbers are a little misleading, the 1:450 chance is only if it strikes some satellite perfectly. The chances of such a satellite strike are pretty low, and with all the other possible orientations of satellite impact, it's at least as likely that any such collision would move the asteroid further away from the kill box.

Also, the asteroid could hit a satellite at the right angle and the satellite might be too small, or the asteroid could just cruise right through.

In summary, there are better reasons to stock up on canned goods, ammo, etc. than this.
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

CloakAndDagger wrote: In summary, there are better reasons to stock up on canned goods, ammo, etc. than this.
Exactly. I do it because it's Wednesday
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Thats the beauty of alcohol: if you don't remember it, it didn't happen!
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

dirty1 wrote:
CloakAndDagger wrote: In summary, there are better reasons to stock up on canned goods, ammo, etc. than this.
Oh shit, I forgot it was Wednesday, I better call the wife and send her to the surplus store. :P
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

dirty1 wrote:
it's Wednesday??? It feels like Tuesday!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
German233
Tadpole

Post by German233 »

Damned :evil:! ..................I guess I shoulda claimed him back then
233 Mtn Btln FGA
6/233 1998/11 (GWS)
SKB Dornstadt 1 1999/03 (M113)
5/233 Weapons Platoon 2000/02 (120 Tampella)
MG1 Handler

Murat Kurnaz is guilty!
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

So when are we starting the bets on if we're doomed or not... :lol:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

CloakAndDagger wrote:The numbers are a little misleading, the 1:450 chance is only if it strikes some satellite perfectly. The chances of such a satellite strike are pretty low, and with all the other possible orientations of satellite impact, it's at least as likely that any such collision would move the asteroid further away from the kill box.

Also, the asteroid could hit a satellite at the right angle and the satellite might be too small, or the asteroid could just cruise right through.

In summary, there are better reasons to stock up on canned goods, ammo, etc. than this.
You don't need canned goods if you have ammo

with ammo you can get canned goods :twisted:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Damn, I hope this event doesn't mess up my grave site. 8)
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The News Dump”