Wal-Mart to log guns sold, then used in crimes

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RTO
BANNED

Wal-Mart to log guns sold, then used in crimes

Post by RTO »

Largest seller of firearms will also videotape all transactions

WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the U.S., announced Monday it will toughen rules for gun sales, from storing video of purchases to creating an internal log of which guns they sell that are later used in crimes.

J.P. Suarez, the chief compliance officer for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., appeared with outspoken gun control advocate Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York to announce the changes at a gathering of Bloomberg's group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Changes to come at about 1,100 Wal-Mart stores selling guns include:

~Creating a record and alert system to record when a gun sold at Wal-Mart is later used in a crime. If the purchaser of that gun later tries to buy another gun at Wal-Mart, the system would alert the sales clerk of the prior buy and could refuse to make the sale.

~Retaining the recorded images of gun sales in case law enforcement wants to view them later as part of an investigation.

~Expanding background checks of employees who handle guns and expanding inventory controls.

Story continues below ↓
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Wouldn't most of those guys be ineligible to purchase firearms anyways?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
gunsmittys
Paratrooper

Post by gunsmittys »

Once again we bow at the alter of political favor instead of telling Mikey to fuck off. This is nothing more than a move to get Wally World in to NYC. It is also a move that will ensure that I and numerous like minded people will shop there less or not at all.
I am getting older, but refuse to grow up

911th SPS 01/81-10/83
1/94 FA 01/84-05/84--dad died
USMEPCOM 05/84-09/85
18th Abn Cps 10/85-9/87
Still serving today working for the VA
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

Ranger Evil Couch wrote:Wouldn't most of those guys be ineligible to purchase firearms anyways?
I believe the Bloomberg crowd has a broad definition of the word 'crime'.
Crime to them includes justifiable homocide, if a gun is involved or any weapon really.
What's hailed as reasonable actions by a prudent man in Tennesee is not held to the same standard in NYC by Mayor Bloomberg for example.
It doesn't mean I believe the law has been circumvented to prosecute innocent people in NYC. I'm saying Bloomberg doesn't believe in the right for human beings to protect themselves, and would rather encourage them to become passive victims.

I see Walmart forming a list of any guns involved in homocides, whether the purchaser was charged or not, based on the above interpretation of 'crime'. Then banning sale, to in some cases, upstanding citizens. I'm all for limiting rights of convicted felons, but not at the cost of honest citizens rights. Or in the case of Walmart bans, they don't tread on rights but privelage of convenience(?).
I could be reading into it too much, but I do feel comfortable with my characterization of firearms eradication activists. Which is what they are, and how far they are willing to go.
No matter how they title their pet organizations e.g., 'Mayors Against Illegal Guns'.

(Here's a link to their site. They appear to have 302 municipal mayors in their 'coalition'. MAIG Link. I was curious if any mayors in my area are involved.)

A little off topic...I saw a blurb in the news about Obama expressing interest in banning sale of firearms per geographical region. With that method, their not directly saying you can't own. Or saying you can't sell at all. Just not in this zip code, or series of zip codes could you purchase.
How many people who choose to use public transportation, or are in no economic position to own a personal vehicle will travel over 60 miles to purchase a firearm?
Disarmament by inconvenience. It would be succesful with the widespread apathy abound. Fucking classic.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

gunsmittys wrote:Once again we bow at the alter of political favor instead of telling Mikey to fuck off.
Hey what the hell did I do?

I think this is a very good and safe move, especially since Wally world started carrying fully automatic AK-47s, AT-4 anti tank weapons and AGM-114N Thermobaric Hellfire missles. I know I feel much FUCKING safer at night.
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Thats the beauty of alcohol: if you don't remember it, it didn't happen!
gunsmittys
Paratrooper

Post by gunsmittys »

dirty1, yeah I feel safer knowing wally world is making my life safer. God help us....after all they are the largest FFl dealer in the country. I'd really like to see how large of a dealer the are in sales compared to Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mt etc. I know when I want a new AR or Wilson Combat 1911 wally world is the first place I head.

Seems to me this is more about getting a wally world in place like NYC, Cook County IL, and various liberal bastions. I know I'll be buying a damn sight less stuff there.
I am getting older, but refuse to grow up

911th SPS 01/81-10/83
1/94 FA 01/84-05/84--dad died
USMEPCOM 05/84-09/85
18th Abn Cps 10/85-9/87
Still serving today working for the VA
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

Yep it's just one of those things that make a company look better on paper, and sound better to idiots, when in reality it doesn't do shit.
Just one more piece of bullshit that in no way helps reduce or prevent crime, just make the law abiding citizen jump through more hoops prior to buying a firearm.
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

dirty1 wrote:
gunsmittys wrote:Once again we bow at the alter of political favor instead of telling Mikey to fuck off.

I think this is a very good and safe move, especially since Wally world started carrying fully automatic AK-47s, AT-4 anti tank weapons and AGM-114N Thermobaric Hellfire missles. I know I feel much FUCKING safer at night.
know what the N's are going for? how bout a K2A? got a feeling I'll have a hard time bringing one home...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

KW Driver wrote:
dirty1 wrote:

know what the N's are going for? how bout a K2A? got a feeling I'll have a hard time bringing one home...
they haven't up dated their website yet, but I heard the N model will go for $65K, and the K2A will top the scales at $45K. They should have all their new items list on their site by the end of the month. Just click the WMD link
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Return to “Weapons of War”