For all those "Who's the best" questions

Post by Silverback »

Washington Times
May 30, 2004
Pg. 4

Marines, Air Force 'Most Important'

Army also ties for top place in poll

By Jennifer Harper, The Washington Times

Americans have always had a keen interest in their military, but a new Gallup poll reveals the nation's opinion of the armed forces is not ironclad.

The U.S. Army and the Marine Corps are now tied with the Air Force as our choice for "the most important branch of the United States armed forces," the poll found.

It is "a significant change in the perceived importance of the branches from as recently as two years ago, when the Air Force was seen as the most important branch," according to Frank Newport, who directed the research.

"At the same time, the Marine Corps has maintained its dominant position as the most prestigious branch of the service, and is named by more than twice as many Americans as any other armed forces branch," Mr. Newport added.

This year, 44 percent of Americans say leathernecks are "the most prestigious service branch." The Air Force was cited by 20 percent, the Army by 15 percent and the Navy by 8 percent.

But one Army veteran from Virginia — who has a son on active duty with the Army Rangers — is philosophical about the information.

"There's always been rivalry between the branches of service — always," he said. "But when the stuff hits the fan, when the chips are down, our military folks know they're on the same team, immediately. That's what matters."

He continued, "A little rivalry, a little change in public opinion won't hurt — it can give troops extra competitive edge. But cheap politicians and crybaby civilians should not use such statistics to make it appear there's a division between the branches."

Gallup attributes the shifting opinions to combat circumstances and the news media.

The Air Force was deemed "the branch of service most vital to the nation's defense" in similar polls for decades after World War II — chosen by 84 percent of Americans in 1949, 70 percent in 1951, 62 percent in 1960 and 42 percent in May 2001.

"In April 2002, the response pattern was basically the same. The Air Force was again No. 1, with the Army, Navy and Marines far behind," the poll stated.

With its heavy emphasis on ground fighting, the war in Iraq has changed all that.

In this year's survey, 25 percent of the respondents cited the Army and 23 percent the Marines as the "most important branch," — both up seven points from last year alone.

Another 23 percent cited the Air Force as most important — a 13 point drop from last year.

"Most of the news coverage of the war has focused on ground soldiers — dressed in their characteristic camouflage uniforms — wielding rifles and other infantry weapons as they go about their duties in that country. Most of the casualties of the war have been ground soldiers, and the primary high-ranking officers who have high visibility in Iraq are in the Army," Gallup's Mr. Newport noted.

"The Army has suffered negative publicity from its involvement in the Abu Ghraib prison-abuse scandal, but if nothing else, the situation focused even more attention on the major role the Army is playing in Iraq," he added.

The poll of 1,002 adults was conducted May 21-23 and released Friday. Its margin for error was plus or minus three percentage points.

Who's the best?

Public perceptions about the military can change, according to a new Gallup poll.

When asked what is the "most important branch" of the U.S. armed forces:

Army: 2004 -- 25%, 2001 -- 18%

Marines: 2004 -- 23%, 2001 -- 16%

Air Force: 2004 -- 23%, 2001 -- 42%

Navy: 2004 -- 9%, 2001 -- 15%

When asked what is "the most prestigious branch" of the U.S. armed forces:

Marines: 2004 -- 44%, 2001 -- 36%

Air Force: 2004 -- 20%, 2001 -- 32%

Army: 2004 -- 15%, 2001 -- 11%

Navy: 2004 -- 8%, 2001 -- 14%
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

One word: SOCOM :twisted:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Ranger Luna wrote:One word: SOCOM :twisted:
Dude in reality that should be it's own branch of service. :wink:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

That's why I'm gonna be a NavySEALGreenBeretDeltaPJForceReconRanger dude when I grow up. :roll: I'm the best guy on my Airsoft team! :twisted:
RLTW
EP :roll:
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

you guys keep forgetting Nightstalkers.... :evil:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bell

Post by Bell »

hit_it wrote:you guys keep forgetting Nightstalkers.... :evil:
No we don't. The news media hasn't found em yet. hehehehehhe.

RLTW
Bell
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

NSDQ
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

The Nightstalkers are part of SOCOM
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Using the acronym "SOCOM" shows your age.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

EarthPig wrote:That's why I'm gonna be a NavySEALGreenBeretDeltaPJForceReconRanger dude when I grow up. :roll: I'm the best guy on my Airsoft team! :twisted:
RLTW
EP :roll:
ROTFL, Ranger Earthpig... when someone asks me what id like to do after college, and i tell them i want to be an Army Ranger, i always hear about how their grandpa was a "green beret"

and you forgot the Ravens and USAF Combat Controller.

I think next time somone asks me ill tell them i dream of lynching the next
Counter-Strike playing loser who thinks hes SF....
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

so does that mean they will rename all those video games with socom in the name?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Hand Job
Embryo

Post by Hand Job »

Bell wrote:
No we don't. The news media hasn't found em yet. hehehehehhe.

RLTW
Bell
They were talking about nightstalkers on MSNBC a couple nights ago.
"Well ain't that sweeter than shit" - Ermey (Gunny)

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Terry Welshan wrote:
Rangergronk wrote:Using the acronym "SOCOM" shows your age.
How about JSOC. Damn, I feel old :(
When I was in Regiment I remember that we were not supposed to even "acknowledge" that we were a part of JSOC except over secure lines of communication. I guess that has changed.

TF-160 = "Nightstalkers"
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”