Those who fail

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Those who fail

Post by Kiknskreem »

Are those that fail or are dropped from RIP typically sent to an Airborne unit? I know they can be sent anywhere as needs of the Army, but since most have already gone through BAC will that factor into where they end up?
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Bell

Re: Those who fail

Post by Bell »

Kiknskreem wrote:Are those that fail or are dropped from RIP typically sent to an Airborne unit? I know they can be sent anywhere as needs of the Army, but since most have already gone through BAC will that factor into where they end up?
You planning on quitting? What you just said shouldn't have a bearing on anything you do. Don't worry about it. Worry about what's ahead of ya. We could "IF" all day long. What if this....what if that....who gives a shit?

RLTW
Bell
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Roger that Ranger Bell.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

They get sent to Antartica to dig foxholes for penguins. Hahah.

They are sent everywhere and have absolutely NO CONTROL over where they are sent either. If you like this sort of uncertainty in your life then don't take it seriously when you are being trained and this will be you - 'WorldWide" - a more PC term instead of 'Quitter". Wouldn't want to bruise the fragile egos of those who don't make it.
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

Spartan wrote:They get sent to Antartica to dig foxholes for penguins. Hahah.

They are sent everywhere and have absolutely NO CONTROL over where they are sent either. If you like this sort of uncertainty in your life then don't take it seriously when you are being trained and this will be you - 'WorldWide" - a more PC term instead of 'Quitter". Wouldn't want to bruise the fragile egos of those who don't make it.
Having spent three months at the RIP compound back in '90, I can attest to the fact that not everyone "quits" RIP. In fact, very few did while I was there. If you can't swim, you can't swim. It's not like they don't try, or quit, they just fail the CWST. Some people don't make the road march criteria, and it's certainly understandable because it's not like any road march you'll do in basic training for damn sure. Only two people that I knew of actually quit. One was a former Navy SEAL, who had a pregnant wife he really wanted to stay with and she was threatening divorce if he took the assignment. You can't disrespect a man for wanting to take care of his family, he'd already been on a SEAL team. The other guy really didn't want to be there after about a week in holdover. Another guy never even made it TO RIP, somehow he fucked up in jump school, and got his static line under his arm as he was exiting the 130. Stripped it like a bananna. Next time I saw him he was in a cast the length of his arm, and half his chest. I thought no differently of any of them, wether they made it or not. And I'd have felt the same way Had I made it and they hadn't. I had two good friends from basic who did make it, and i was very happy for them although it was tough to watch them graduate and go on while I stayed behind to recycle.

I didn't end up going to a bat, I was recycled after completing RIP the first time. I passed all physical requirements, and actually did all three weeks including the jumps. I was recycled for night land navigation problems (I was pretty young back then, if only I knew then what I know now). I did not pass the 12 mile road march the second time around due to a stress fracture (they pulled me off and put me on the truck, I was limping badly but keeping up, I tried to ignore them but when they pretty much toss you in, you really don't have a choice), and was sent world wide. I ended up in Germany, some guys went to korea, just about everyone was getting sent overseas at that time. I busted my ass in RIP. Physically, I was up to the challenge until the fracture, it's all pretty much mental willpower that gets you through it, but a stress fracture won't get you very far.

I was in the last class to go through RIP in the old Airborne Barracks on top of Cardiac hill by the air field. I was also in the first class to go through RIP in the new barracks next to Regimental HQ. The old barracks were pretty cool. They were condemned buildings but we didn't care, they were perfect if you asked us. We'd shoot rubber bands at the cock roaches that were scurrying about. Our first night in RIP, our barracks became a C-130, and we did door exits into a shower of water being sprayed on us by the cadre. Then we'd run to the other end of the compound and they'd make us do pushups, situps, and other stuff in the sawdust pits to get us all nice and dirty. Of course we'd never get there in time so we'd have to run back and do it all over again. I think we did that for like 3 or 4 hours that first night. Not only did we have to stay up for that, but we had to have the barracks spotless by the next morning as well. Ahh, those really were the good ole' days. :)

I still remember some of the cadre, they're a permanent fixture in my head.

SFC Kelly - RIP commander - The guy was half batshit insane, but he was so damn funny you couldn't help but like him. Horn Rimmed glasses, happy as shit one second, throwing coffee mugs the next.

SSG Bright - a menacing huge man, who instilled the fear of god in Rippies everywhere. We always thought he was on roids, the guy was massive and had a very short fuse. He threw some Rippies into the ditch and roughed them up. Last I heard he was coming under some heat for it (someone squealed to JAG I guess). I flushed the can while he was in the shower one day, I thought it was going to be my last few moments on earth.

SGT Bohannon - The guy could to Russian Body Builders all day long. A pure PT god, I don't think he ever got tired from doing any form of PT. Wirey, but ripped. Piercing blue eyes, chisled face, outstanding wit and humor and as twisted as a serial killer.

SGT Johnson - A southern boy, born and raised in GA. Could run like a fucking gazelle. Laid back, fair, but stern in the same breath. He liked to teach us. He especially liked making us drink 4 quarts of water and then make us sit through 3 hours of classes without a piss break. Ahh, those were the days!

SGT Boyd - I think that was his name, it sort of eludes me now. From one of the Carolinas, I wanna say North. Deep southern drawl, real laid back, taught us all we ever wanted to know about ropes and knots.

SSG Jiminez (Holdover Platoon Sergeant) - Was from the bronx in NYC if I remember correctly. He had a bad limp when we got there, but that only stopped him from running. We quickly learned he could do 4 count flutter kicks all day long. He caught one of the rippies asleep on gaurd duty one day, and choked the shit out of him to wake him up. He was recovered enough to start running PT with us by the time I left.

SSG Greer - I don't remember his function, but he was a good fella. I think he ran the operations office or something. He was the guy you talked to about finance, supply related items, and that sort of thing.

Odd things I learned in RIP: How to Koalafy myself. What Pot Liquor is.

Biggest surprise in RIP: The guys left after the 12 mile road march. They were the least likely lot you would have thought to make it. All the scrawny wirey guys like myself were the ones that made it. The big body builder guy was out in the first 3 miles. Most of the others were out in the first 6 miles. There were only about 15 of us left after it was over in my first time through.

The thing that sucked the most about RIP: Leap frogging up Cardiac Hill after a 5 mile run. I swear that was worse than the road marches or any amount of getting smoked by the cadre by far, especially if your team lost. Nothing says good morning like 1000 4 count flutter kicks.

It's not about being pompass when referring to being PC about someone who doesn't pass RIP. They're still human beings at the end of the day. I gaurantee I didn't quit. I gave 110% and then some. Anyone who at least attempts it deserves some credit for even having been there. Yeah a lot of people don't make it, but a person is ignorant if they think everyone is a "quitter".

Do I regret not making it? Every single day of my life, I damn sure do. I kick myself time and time again. But I also look back on those three months with a great amount of pride now, regardless of not having made it into a bat. I learned more about myself in those three months than I have ever learned in my entire life, I'm sure others feel the same way. I'm facing unemployement soon. If I can't find anything, I may well be looking at going back into the Army. There's only one place I'd want to go, and I would damn sure be passing RIP with flying colors this time barring any injuries. I'll do my damnedest to help everyone else pass as well if I do end up re-enlisting and going back through. I'd probably be the oldest Rippie ever. :)
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aa
Last edited by Morris0352 on May 18th, 2010, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Morris0352 wrote:In our class a bunch of the quitters got sent to Italy......lucky douchebags
Hello Ranger Morris. We got a communication from Ranger Gronk about those that were sent to Italy see link:

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... ght=#49828

Any questions you could PM him. You are the lucky one Ranger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Antrim wrote:
Spartan wrote:Wouldn't want to bruise the fragile egos of those who don't make it.
It's not about being pompass when referring to being PC about someone who doesn't pass RIP. They're still human beings at the end of the day. I gaurantee I didn't quit. I gave 110% and then some. Anyone who at least attempts it deserves some credit for even having been there. Yeah a lot of people don't make it, but a person is ignorant if they think everyone is a "quitter".

Do I regret not making it? Every single day of my life, I damn sure do. I kick myself time and time again. ...
Case in point - your massive essay on the trials and tribulations of one who did not make it. Could be the simplest thing that causes one to not make it, like hurrying down stairs and twisting your goddamned ankle! Or, perhaps like quitting. Only those who were there know who quit and who 'did not pass'.

At the end of the day, we expect those who don't pass RIP to serve the rest of their Army Contract honorably somewhere other than the 75th Ranger Regiment. That is WHY there is not a need to bruise thier fragile ego's - they beat themselves up over it for the rest of their lives anyway.

BTW - Welcome to the site - please post an introduction in the appropriate area.
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

Spartan wrote:At the end of the day, we expect those who don't pass RIP to serve the rest of their Army Contract honorably somewhere other than the 75th Ranger Regiment. That is WHY there is not a need to bruise thier fragile ego's - they beat themselves up over it for the rest of their lives anyway.

BTW - Welcome to the site - please post an introduction in the appropriate area.

Roger that. My bad, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I stuck it out for my 4.5 and yes, it did blow ass out in leg land but I sucked it up until ETS. Still met some great troops out there, but it just wasn't the same. And how very right you are about beating yourself up if you don't make it. Every day... every damn day. This site brings those feelings back again, but I'm enjoying reading what all the "Bat Boys" are writing.

Hooah, I'll look for the introduction area. I just sort of stumbled on this place late last night. I'm a long winded bastard. :) Drive on Rangers.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Antrim wrote:I was in the last class to go through RIP in the old Airborne Barracks on top of Cardiac hill by the air field. I was also in the first class to go through RIP in the new barracks next to Regimental HQ. The old barracks were pretty cool. They were condemned buildings but we didn't care, they were perfect if you asked us. We'd shoot rubber bands at the cock roaches that were scurrying about. Our first night in RIP, our barracks became a C-130, and we did door exits into a shower of water being sprayed on us by the cadre. Then we'd run to the other end of the compound and they'd make us do pushups, situps, and other stuff in the sawdust pits to get us all nice and dirty. Of course we'd never get there in time so we'd have to run back and do it all over again. I think we did that for like 3 or 4 hours that first night. Not only did we have to stay up for that, but we had to have the barracks spotless by the next morning as well. Ahh, those really were the good ole' days. :)

Biggest surprise in RIP: The guys left after the 12 mile road march. They were the least likely lot you would have thought to make it. All the scrawny wirey guys like myself were the ones that made it. The big body builder guy was out in the first 3 miles. Most of the others were out in the first 6 miles. There were only about 15 of us left after it was over in my first time through.
Dude excellent memory on the C-130 and PT shit. I thought the C-130 thing was funny the first 20 times we did it.

RIP is where i learned that you give no sympathy to those you are training,EVER. If you recall the waterborne night time mass-tac door exists from the mock up (BARRACKS) C-130 we because we didn't double time of the the DZ during our jump in RIP.

Antrim i was kind of a big dude and i passed the RM
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

, I can attest to the fact that not everyone "quits" RIP. [/qoute]

H8train's responce: That is true, to a certian extent. Most guys do not want to come right out and quit. They go to the medics and say something hurts so they will get "med dropped". In that way they can say that they didn't quit they got dropeed. You can tell the guys that are really hurt or just pussies.

H8train's responce: Yeah they are still human beings but, what do you want special fucking treatment for attending? Come on man, that is some sorry assed shit. "They deserve credit for trying." What ever. That is the same attitude that got the Black Beret taken away, that everyone is "Special" attitude. Not everyone is a winner.
I may well be looking at going back into the Army. There's only one place I'd want to go, and I would damn sure be passing RIP with flying colors this time barring any injuries. I'll do my damnedest to help everyone else pass as well if I do end up re-enlisting and going back through. I'd probably be the oldest Rippie ever. :)
H8train's responce: Well I quess I will see you then.

:twisted:
Last edited by Parabellum on June 20th, 2004, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

For some they aren't able to get past RIP due to "real" injuries, but for many others its total Bullshit, they have a "minor" injury and snivel about it as if its a Major Injury.........just long enough for them to use it as an excuse to QUIT!!! . Hell at one point or another you'll find plenty of us who got injured while training or in combat and still had to move out and complete our exercise/mission/OP Order.

I remember a nighttime jump where I landed on somebody else's ruck, which screwed up my PLF and I injured my back badly (I still have back problems as a result of that landing). I couldn't get up for at least 1-2 minutes, until I heard "GET UP RANGER BEADLE"!!! and I immediately got my raggedy ass up and completed the nighttime exercise, the next day "after" PT I reported for sick call and they kept me at the hospital in traction for a full week because of my back spasms.

I've seen guys with blisters on the bottom of their heals the size of silver dollars and still pass the Road March.

But we've all seen whiners who feign injury so that they can seemingly quit without facing shame but in most cases we all know that's exactly what they did........QUIT!!! Some know it immediately, some continue to tell themselves the lie or excuse they used long after they've left RIP.

We learn to fight through pain because we go through pain, discomfort because we're rarely comfortable, sleep, food, bad weather and any other obstacle that would prevent the "average" person from doing what's at hand, however I believe each of us has a inner quality that you can't teach, you can't create it, you can't "learn" it, its an inner drive that prevents us from quitting under the most extreme circumstances. You can call it pride, call it ego, but I think our Ranger Creed captures it perfectly, I think the term "Intestinal Fortitude" perfectly describes the internal forces that drive us to continue on long after the "average" person was left behind. I wasn't at your RIP class soldier but being at Regiment I saw plenty of'em and I saw even more quit without just cause and have every excuse in the world as to why, very few were what I would term "legitimate".

Just my 2cents.
Last edited by Bugsy on June 20th, 2004, 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Like I stated above. Thank you Ranger Buddy.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Bell

Post by Bell »

My dad taught me a lesson when I was a kid. Anytime you get in a situation where can't starts creeping in use your imagination.

Oh fuck, broke my toe and I can't walk. Now imagine that wild dogs are attacking ya. Bet you can run now.

I was trying to climb a tree. Only tree on the farm I couldn't get up. Man, that mother was huge. I couldn't get a good grip to shinny up that thing. Dad comes down and asks what I'm doing. Told him I couldn't climb the tree. Dad looks at it, looks at me and says boy, you've got 30 seconds to get up that tree or I'm gonna pull my belt off and wear ya out. I go DAD! He starts pulling his belt off. I'm sitting 20 feet in the air on the lowest limb before dad got his belt off. I liked to never got down.

Then he told me that when I get an impossible task to imagine a man standing there with a gun in his hand. If I say I can't do it the man points the gun at me and threatens to pull the trigger if I don't. It works. Used it all my life. There's nothing I can't do. I ain't been shot yet because I CAN do it. Over, under, around or through the pain. You CAN do it. If the enemy is chasing ya with weapons firing you can do amazing things. Guys with no legs learn how to run. On their hands if they have to, but they move out.

RLTW
Bell
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

DG shot me with a BB gun when I was a kid because my dumb ass kept pointing it at people. Never did that agian. I think it is the best way to teach muzzle awareness. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “About RASP”