Son At Airborne

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
armymom82807
Embryo

Son At Airborne

Post by armymom82807 »

My son just got to Airborne and will start week 1 this week. My question is. He wants to get in to RIP and has talked with someone at Airborne upon arriving and he has told us that it doesn't sound like he can get in because of his mos which is 19-D. Does anyone have any info. on this because he really wants to get in. Should he continue to knock on the doors at Benning or accept this answer?
Last edited by armymom82807 on February 4th, 2008, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armymom82807
Embryo

Post by armymom82807 »

I guess my son did not know this because that was something he had talked about alot. Any advice for him?
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

armymom82807 wrote:I guess my son did not know this because that was something he had talked about alot. Any advice for him?
With that MOS, it wont happen. He may at one time or another be able to attend Ranger School from his unit but...he is pretty much on path and jumping track once the MOS is awarded...wont happen. Hate it for him but figure this, the Army just paid about $50,000 for him to learn a trade (Cav. Scout) and it is what he enlisted for. Changing MOS's can be done but usually at reenlistment.

And lady, nothing wrong with 19D. The boys pull their weight and more. Tell him to be proud and do it right.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:And lady, nothing wrong with 19D. The boys pull their weight and more. Tell him to be proud and do it right.
Well said. I thank him for his service.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

rgrjoe175 wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:And lady, nothing wrong with 19D. The boys pull their weight and more. Tell him to be proud and do it right.
Well said. I thank him for his service.

JP
x2
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
armymom82807
Embryo

Post by armymom82807 »

I think I remember him saying his recruiter told him he could sign up at airborne for RIP if he did well with all the PT stuff. He has signed up for 5 years, so does that mean he would not be have a chance until he finishes his five years? I understand about the cost of training that the Army has paid but isn't that true with other mos? He is very proud to be a Cav.Scout but he was also lead to believe that RIP was a possiblity if he did well. He has not gone to his first duty station yet and just seemed a little bummed when he called home about being told that his mos would not be taken.
armymom82807
Embryo

Post by armymom82807 »

Has it ever happened for a 19-D?????????
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

armymom82807 wrote:I think I remember him saying his recruiter told him he could sign up at airborne for RIP if he did well with all the PT stuff. He has signed up for 5 years, so does that mean he would not be have a chance until he finishes his five years? I understand about the cost of training that the Army has paid but isn't that true with other mos? He is very proud to be a Cav.Scout but he was also lead to believe that RIP was a possiblity if he did well. He has not gone to his first duty station yet and just seemed a little bummed when he called home about being told that his mos would not be taken.
Ma'am. Recruiters are notoriously overpaid tax burdens and should be shot for the crap they say and get away with. There are a few on this board that I do respect but they tell a straight story. I would say it is as close to impossible as it can get in it's current form.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
armymom82807
Embryo

Post by armymom82807 »

Thanks for your info. I will pass this on to my son. He will prove himself with the Army and I know he will do well in the journey he has chosen to take with his life.
:lol:
A Proud Armymom!!!!!!
armymom82807
Embryo

Post by armymom82807 »

Thank you! Thank you! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Thanks for supporting your Son as he serves our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537

Return to “About RASP”