Question regarding insignia

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Question regarding insignia

Post by RangerX »

i saw a guy at the airport today wearing ACUs with PV2 rank. What struck me as odd was that he was wearing crossed rifle branch insignia on his collar. He was wearing a keystone unit patch, as well as some patch with a star in the middle as a combat patch (similar to below).

Do enlisted personnel wear branch insignia on their collars now?

Also what is this patch?

C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I don't know a thing about Collar Branch Insignia. We don't wear anything on the collars of our ACU's.

That patch is what kids coming out of Basic wear, before they get to their unit. AFAIK, they are also authorized to wear it on the right shoulder, if they have not been deployed to a combat theater yet. It's a way to be more "fair"...

I have also seen recruiters wear it...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

GSXRanger wrote:.....AFAIK, they are also authorized to wear it on the right shoulder, if they have not been deployed to a combat theater yet. It's a way to be more "fair"....
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Maybe to be fair, actual combat vets should be allowed to shoot at kids just out of basic.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Brother... don't quote me on that. However, I do remember seeing the kids coming into DLI having that patch on their shoulder as they were getting out of Basic Training.

I have heard talk about them wearing it on the right shoulder.

But, this guy may have been a fucking football bat. He definitely should not be wearing anything on his collar.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Concerning the keystone SSI, if it was black (subdued) or red (class A) and otherwise without any bells & whistles, then it's 28th Infantry Div, primarily PA NG.
The Div has an outstanding combat record in both world wars and now Iraq.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RogerThat
Embryo

Post by RogerThat »

no friggin way....

I haven't seen any ammendments to the 670-1.(not that I've actually looked) That combat patch stuff is just ridiculous.

I'll look into it.

I've got a few minutes, and a couple of beers... :lol: :lol:
C Co. 2-124 Inf (2003- Present)
HHC Scouts 2-124 (2004-2005)
OIF 1 (2003-2004)
ADSW FLARNG (AUG 2007- Present)
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

RogerThat wrote:no friggin way....

I haven't seen any ammendments to the 670-1.(not that I've actually looked) That combat patch stuff is just ridiculous.

I'll look into it.

I could be wrong, but I am almost positive they wear that patch on the LEFT arm, after finishing a certain phase in Basic. I have only heard talk about it being worn on the right arm. Most likely, this guy was a soup sammich.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Well, my shitheel alarms were going off, hence posting here.

I am at the Philly airport, so the NG think makes sense, but the crossed rifles on the collar and Basic Training combat patch seemed "odd" to me.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RogerThat
Embryo

Post by RogerThat »

GSXRanger wrote:
RogerThat wrote:no friggin way....

I'll look into it.

I could be wrong, but I am almost positive they wear that patch on the LEFT arm, after finishing a certain phase in Basic. I have only heard talk about it being worn on the right arm. Most likely, this guy was a soup sammich.
sounds about right,

I can't say much for the beret, being a leg, but that wouldn't be right to give every joe blow out there a right sleeve patch.

I'm in agreement of the soup sammich, might be an impersonator, you never know.
C Co. 2-124 Inf (2003- Present)
HHC Scouts 2-124 (2004-2005)
OIF 1 (2003-2004)
ADSW FLARNG (AUG 2007- Present)
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

that's also the patch that DA from DC wears now. not sure of the old DC area command(?) patch is still being warn anymore.

kids from basic, not ever brach qualified, are now getting a patch before they even get to their first unit? how fucking much more can we coddle 'em. might as well give 'em a combat patch (provisional) unitl they can earn one. don't want anyone to feel excluded... :roll:

I don't care if it's true or not, but giving basic kids a patch is plausable... and that sickens me...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Idioteque
Embryo

Post by Idioteque »

Don't know anything about the patch, but when I was in OSUT after we were issued our cross rifles we wore them on our ACU collar up until our Turning Blue ceremony.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Idioteque wrote:Don't know anything about the patch, but when I was in OSUT after we were issued our cross rifles we wore them on our ACU collar up until our Turning Blue ceremony.
Well if your signature line is any indication of what is being pumped through BCT then it makes perfect sense.

Might want to remove any mention of "swallowing" from here on out.
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Question regarding insignia

Post by Nomad »

RangerX wrote: Also what is this patch?

I know that two Generals who were strap-hanging a few weeks back wore them. I asked them why they were wearing those patches and they said it's what you wear when you work at the Pentagon now.

No clue if they were pulling my chain, but it sounded legit.
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Question regarding insignia

Post by Draco »

Matador275 wrote:
RangerX wrote: Also what is this patch?

I know that two Generals who were strap-hanging a few weeks back wore them. I asked them why they were wearing those patches and they said it's what you wear when you work at the Pentagon now.

No clue if they were pulling my chain, but it sounded legit.
No one that I have ever seen wears ANY crap on their ACU collars. (But WTF do I know...I went thru BCT in 85.)

The patch is a US Army patch for those that work at the Pentagon or are Basic trainees iirc. Figures the 2 would wear the same patch. As far as wearing it as a combat patch, I would think it is almost impossible considering App 4 of 670-1.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I've seen it worn. I think it may be worn by anyone who is not in a unit with a Sistinctive Unit Insignia (DUI). Not a combat insignia. Red / Black Keystoneis, as Kevin commented, the 28th Infantry Division. Ground units from Pennsylvania and a few from Ohio. Aviation is from all over (one battalion form Texas). 28th is a fine unit, 2d Brigade and several battalions have served in Iraq.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The Mosh Pit”