I broke my cherry

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

GSXRanger
Ranger

I broke my cherry

Post by GSXRanger »

Ok, my USPSA cherry is officially popped.

Glock 34, shooting production. I officially SUCK!!!

Actually, it's a totally different mindset. Let me break it down for ya...

I show up at the local club on Tuesday night, to run in the Production class. I have put about 2K rounds through my G34, and it is a sweet running machine. Very accurate, and I can NAIL my mag changes with it. So, I came feeling very confident.

Only I show up a bit late, and the registration was closed. So, I met the club racers, and introduced myself as a new shooter... and just watched. I left, feeling very confident, and the Alpha Male mindset of "I GOT this..." completely engulfed me. All I could do is wait till Friday, to shoot... and then, I just knew I would be in the top 10 percent of this club.

Well, I got out of work today a bit early, so I went to the range and helped set up the stages. All the while, I am talking to the gamers, getting a feel for their experience level, and mindset... thinking... "I fucking GOT this."

After all, I am an upper class tactical shooter, with tons of experience... I know how to shoot, I can nail a mag change, I can shoot and move... no biggie... right? Well, stay tuned.

Ok, "Darren, you are in the hole."

WTF does that mean? Oh... I am two people after the guy who is going now. Well, the guy that was the "shooter" is Shannon Smith and let me tell you... it was like watching Yoda with a light saber.

He cleaned the first stage in under 15 seconds, and made my jaw drop. Ok, then... maybe I need to pay attention.

So, now... "Darren, you are on deck". That meant I was next in line...

Now, I started my war gaming. Never have I run a course of fire, where I knew where the targets were ahead of time. This was foreign to me... so I thought it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. WRONG!!!

"Darren, you are now shooter. Take position."

Ok, here goes... inhale, exhale. I run through my mind... Open the door, draw, move to barricade, engage first three targets... mag change, move... two steel, three targets, mag change... move, three targets two steel... show clear, slide release, hammer down, holster.

I GOT THIS.

"Shooter ready?" (My hands on door knob)

"Roger that."

"Stand by..."

BEEP

Brain Fart.

I mean to tell you, I fucking dumped. I moved through the door, engaged the first three targets as planned... all A hits.

I changed magazines, and continued... after my second round, my magazine fell out. I started laughing... I could NOT believe how I let this little "BEEP" fuck with my mind.

I cleaned the stage, forgetting to engage one of the steel plates, hidden behind a barrel. I knew it was there, I just totally blew past it.

My time? 21:18

Fuck.

So, Shannon comes up to me, smiling ear to ear... and says... "Ok, your cherry is busted... case of beer. Get in the game, and have fun."

My problem is not shooting. It is not moving and shooting. My issue is efficiency of motion. This is a game... it is all about SPEED and ACCURACY.

I am addicted.

Hello, my name is GSXRanger... and I am a Run and Gun-a-holic.

Oh, btw... my Glock ran flawlessly... but the factory sights SUCK MONKEY NUTS.

The other three stages I ran were not as eventful as the first one... They say, that you will NEVER forget your first time.

That is all.

Oh, here's a link to Shannon's site. It is very cool to have a World Class shooter to learn from. He is an awesome guy, and a down to earth person. Easy to talk to, no ego what so ever, and is free to give advice if you ask for it. I feel fortunate to be able to shoot with a guy like this... But, there is a fine line I will be treading. I can see where bad habits can form from a tactical mind set, by shooting like this. But, it is a GREAT place to build speed, and efficiency of motion.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

ETA:

The reason the mag fell out, was my grip. I was choking up on it, and I had recently installed the factory extended mag release back onto the gun... because I felt I may need it. NOPE. It is now in my parts bin, and the G17 mag release went back in.

Great teaching point. I would rather it happen on the range, than in a gunfight.

That is all.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

That is good stuff. I was wondering if there is any real application of that kind of shooting to a tactical situation.
Bugsy
Ranger

Re: I broke my cherry

Post by Bugsy »

GSXRanger wrote: WTF does that mean? Oh... I am two people after the guy who is going now. Well, the guy that was the "shooter" is Shannon Smith and let me tell you... it was like watching Yoda with a light saber.
Great Story bro, had to chuckle a bit on the above statement. Nothing like "thinkin" you're high speed and then see somebody do it like you're just a rookie.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, I just ordered THESE sights for my G34. I went with the Sevigny Competition w/fiber optic front sight... best sight picture I have seen for a newb in this type of shooting.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Matador275 wrote:That is good stuff. I was wondering if there is any real application of that kind of shooting to a tactical situation.
Well, give me a few months to get used to it, and then I will see if my mind set changes.

IMHO, this type of shooting can build some bad habits. It imprints in your brain, to shoot fast, and accurately, true. But, you are concerned with the timer, and two shots in certain "zones" on the target. The targets are static... except for the dynamic moving steel targets. That shit is fun!

Since this is a civilian run sport, there is no emphasis on "Shoot the threat, until the threat stops doing what made you shoot the threat in the first place."

I just got certified as a Reality Based Training Instructor. So, I just went through a week of Ken Murray Train at the Speed of Life. I am not looking to become a competitor... but, I am looking to have fun.

As long as you keep the two disciplines separate... I feel that it can augment the tactical side of things. It is a semi-realistic environment to work on speed and accuracy. As long as you don't get wrapped up in the "Game" side of it.

I can't afford to do that at this point in my career.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

This is a mild hijack.. :lol:

What kind of tactical pistol shooting courses have you been to lately which you would recommend?

I am looking at Larry Vickers and Gunsite right now for my time off in April and May.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

GSXRanger wrote:Well, I just ordered THESE sights for my G34. I went with the Sevigny Competition w/fiber optic front sight... best sight picture I have seen for a newb in this type of shooting.
Probably great for daylight and the range, but if you're taking that shooter real world Darren, get a set of tritiums for it. Trijicon's, Meprolights etc.

I prefer Meps as the sight pic is no different, they're a few dollars cheaper and have a longer warranty. I've had mine on my G-22C for several years and very satisified with their overall performance.

And BTW, congrats. Everyone starts somewhere and some never do. With practice and time, you'll get smoother and quicker.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well.. None recently. But I have taken the CQC pistol course by SigArms Academy.. And the CQC Operater's course at GunSite. Larry puts on a great course.. Worth the money. Not anything new to you.. But like playing golf with Tiger Woods. You will enjoy it!
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

CM.. Good advice. The G34 is strictly a game gun. It lives in a case by itself. My CCW is a G36 with ES Big Dot sights. My 1911 and my G21 both have Meps.

I am on my Black Berry.. So if IMess up.. Its my fat thumbs. Matty.. Give me a call when you can.
RogerThat
Embryo

Post by RogerThat »

GSXRanger, sorry to hear about the match, but I'm sure it was a great learning experience. Now that I've read this, I've got the inside track for Monday. I'll have to rag on you a little, but I'll bet it won't be half as bad as the crap I'll take on here. Anyway, if I don't talk to you sooner, see ya monday.
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Great story, GSX!!
Oh, btw... my Glock ran flawlessly... but the factory sights SUCK MONKEY NUTS.
/nod, as do the ones on the HKs. I have replaced my carry weapons (USP40 Compacts) with Trijicons and love em.

Nice thing is my Kimber came with them already installed. :wink:
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

You had to break that old cherry sometime. This is definitely the most fun shooting Ive had in a while and I do think it has certain tactical applications. It takes you away from the mindset of a perfect sight picture for close engagements. It reinforces the flash sight picture and fast trigger control. You just have to know where the game ends and the real stuff begins. Wait until you get your first rating. You will really be hooked then.
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

BEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now this is fast

A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB