'Ranger' major faces jail over phony medals

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

This jack-ass and his Reserve unit are near my house..

And to think that he wore those awards around 19th SF troops (Utah) and it took this long to call him on it! :?
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

BruteForce wrote:This jack-ass and his Reserve unit are near my house..

And to think that he wore those awards around 19th SF troops (Utah) and it took this long to call him on it! :?
"Calderone was busted by his fellow soldiers in 2-414th, which is a unit made up of basic training drill sergeants. "

A unit full of basic training drill sergeants caught him? God, that must have REALLY sucked!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Ranger Bill wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:Could someone explain the legalities discussed here. Am I to understand that a Reservist is not subject to the UCMJ ? :shock: Is the Uniform Code of Criminal Justice a typo or a code that I am just not aware of ?
Members of the Reserve Components are only subject to the UCMJ when they are on orders for active duty. Typically, that means when they are attending Annual Training or when their unit is activated for deployment.
The UCMJ does not apply to weekend drills.
Your info is not quite right, Ranger Bill. The Army Times report made the obvious error Ranger Flesh Thorn pointed out, but did not appear to have a good grasp on the issues in general.

Reserve Components are subject to UCMJ on orders, during Battle Assemblies (a.k.a. Weekend Drills), and during transit to and from Battle Assemblies. We had this subject beat into us at least twice a year during my time as a Reservist (ending less than 2 years ago).

Note that anyone can be prosecuted under U.S.C., including Active Duty members, but if prosecuted for a particular charge under UCMJ, you cannot be prosecuted for that same charge under U.S.C. (that would be double jeopardy which is prevented by Amendment V). Most of the time the penalty following conviction under UCMJ is tougher, so most cases that could fall under UCMJ or USC get prosecuted by UCMJ. The fact that this case is being prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act (USC) will insure it gets more media attention, which is probably part of the choice in prosecution.

Also note, that it is much easier to boot someone out of the Reserves with a bad conduct discharge, so his command is debating about which path to pick.
The division is in the process of separating Calderone from the Army, but the recommendation submitted to Stultz could include an honorable, general or other-than-honorable discharge or a court-martial, Herrigstad said.
Bare minimum, I bet they hit him with "Conduct Unbecoming an Officer".
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

CloakAndDagger wrote:Your info is not quite right, Ranger Bill.
You are correct. I looked up the current regulations and my information is out-dated. The change was made after my time.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The News Dump”