Whats in your ruck?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Whats in your ruck?

Post by Blowing Chunks »

Ive done some searching and found that some of you fill your rucks with kittylitter, books, water bottles, or weights. I bought a ruck off of ebay recently, then took some free weights and balanced them in the center of my ruck with a laundry and duffle bag. Ive tried many diffrent variations inside the ruck but it seems gravity is pulling me backwards.
I have a feeling this constant force is going to seriously injure my back before I head to AIT. When I went to BCT and filled the ruck to SOP, I dont remember being pulled backwards so drastically. I dont know if I just have sand in my vagina or what but do you guys think there is a clause for injury.
Bell

Post by Bell »

but do you guys think there is a clause for injury. That's a quote.

.....a clause for injury? I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Put sand bags in the ruck. Free weights and rocks hurt. Sand bags are easier to work with too. You can get several with different weights, label them, and use them as needed. Get yer ruck up high on your back and tighten those straps. Practice. You'll get used to it. After about 500 miles you'll start missing it.

RLTW
Bell
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

Bell wrote:but do you guys think there is a clause for injury. That's a quote.

.....a clause for injury? I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Put sand bags in the ruck. Free weights and rocks hurt. Sand bags are easier to work with too. You can get several with different weights, label them, and use them as needed. Get yer ruck up high on your back and tighten those straps. Practice. You'll get used to it. After about 500 miles you'll start missing it.

RLTW
Bell
I was refering to how rucking while the weight is pulling you backwards could cause shoulder/back/or spinal injures? Im sure you can tell im not experienced at what im talking about here.
Roger that Ranger Bell, ill do everything you mentioned, ill hunt for the sand bags tomorrow morning.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

My Dad said "dont leave any straps hanging, you look like a dumbass like that" the first time I went rucking, I use either some of my dads stuff, or two 25 pound dog food bags.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I was refering to how rucking while the weight is pulling you backwards could cause shoulder/back/or spinal injures?
Listen bud, it's weight, on your back.. that wasn't really meant to be there. If it's pulling you backwards, you need to man the fuck up and lean foward some. Either that, or start going with a little less weight. There isn't a huge ass sign that says I'M A PUSSY I ONLY HAVE 30 LBS IN MY RUCK It's all about getting yourself smoked, not looking cool while doing it.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Lugnuttz
Ranger

Post by Lugnuttz »

Disinfertention wrote:
I was refering to how rucking while the weight is pulling you backwards could cause shoulder/back/or spinal injures?
Listen bud, it's weight, on your back.. that wasn't really meant to be there. If it's pulling you backwards, you need to man the fuck up and lean foward some. Either that, or start going with a little less weight. There isn't a huge ass sign that says I'M A PUSSY I ONLY HAVE 30 LBS IN MY RUCK It's all about getting yourself smoked, not looking cool while doing it.
This is the truth, you need to stand your sad ass up and stop whining. Humping a ruck sucks ass............always has, always will. Do what ranger bell said and steer clear of the free weights, especially dumbells. While marching they'll eventually become unbalanced and the road march will quickly become a self inflicted torture session. So not only are you in unbearable pain, but you also realize what a dumbass you are at the same time. It doesn't help motivation too much.
HHC 3/75 BN Commo 01-04
RGR Class 03-03
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: Whats in your ruck?

Post by BadMuther »

barf wrote:Ive done some searching and found that some of you fill your rucks with kittylitter, books, water bottles, or weights. I bought a ruck off of ebay recently, then took some free weights and balanced them in the center of my ruck with a laundry and duffle bag. Ive tried many diffrent variations inside the ruck but it seems gravity is pulling me backwards.
I have a feeling this constant force is going to seriously injure my back before I head to AIT. When I went to BCT and filled the ruck to SOP, I dont remember being pulled backwards so drastically. I dont know if I just have sand in my vagina or what but do you guys think there is a clause for injury.
Upchuck you've already been to BCT???? I can't find an intro for you.
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

When I loaded up with extra weight, I prefered using a small 25 pound free-weight, the type is put on a bar, not a dumbell. I would put it in the radio pouch inside the ruck - this left the extra weight flat against, and centered across my shoulder blade. This is a lot more comfortable than having it way down in the bottom of the ruck, pulling you backwards. I always tried to put the heaviest stuff in that pouch, such as motar rounds, sand bags, etc. Eventaully though, when you get to Batt, you're going to have your ruck packed with shit - being the cherry expect to be carrying all the extra accessories that your squad is responsible for. Then, on top of that, you'll have your body armor attached to the outside of your ruck, which is "interesting" when you start to contemplate gravity and how much heavier something feels when it is straped to your body, yet 3 feet away from you.
A 1/75 Rgr Regt 96-97
1/503 Inf Regt (AASLT) 97-98
Broke Dick @ WAMC 98-99
NBTNDT
Embryo

Post by NBTNDT »

I tried many things for weight. MRE bags filled with sand and taped closed works well, you can make different sizes/weights. Sand leaked out in my house so I switched to soft dive weights. These were great except when I went TDY, then I had to carry 50 lbs of weights with my luggage (*snivel*)(I also travel 1500 miles rt to drill so being able to travel light is important).

Finally, I found something that worked best: pennies. You can get several rolls of them when TDY stateside at any bank and most grocery stores. I carry several small plastic sacks (doubled freezerbags work) and I but $10 in each. I put the sacks full of pennies in my radio pouch and ruck-up to train. When I need to travel light I can cash them in and pick up some new ones at my new destination.
DLI 89-90, LLVI 107 MI 91-93, MID 1/1 SFG(A) 93-96, 300 MI 97-00, DLI 00-01, 321 MI 01-04, NQ 1/19th SFG(A)
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

How many of you Rangers actually went rucking before you got into the Army?
It has become my understanding from listening to Rangers on here and in real life that you either have it in you or you dont; so you're better off saving your knees the undue stress, wait until you actually get there to damage your joints instead of already showing up with busted knees.

Every fall I train for that corny ROTC "Ranger Challenge Competition" in which there is a 10k Ruck run with 35 lb rucks, TA-50 and M16 and it's the one part of the training that I feel is only detrimental because my joints definitely feel it; especially since I'm the one to usually carry the token female team member's ruck (I've since become extremely bitter towards females trying to be all HOOAH with us males only to drag down the training tempo, I know they mean well but still), which after all is said and done, is 80+ lbs. I think we can all agree that that is BAD for ones health.

So I just prefer to run and swim in order to improve my overall endurance and figure that will help with rucking anyway. Am I right to think this?
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

If you ever get to go to SFAS, you'll get a workout manual. It will give you an SFAS specific workout, revolving around rucking. The most wait you will carry thru the program is no more than 45 pounds. Anything more and messing your body up. That's my rule of thumb. Save the spine and knees while strenghting your legs, shoulders and back. Or be real stud and go to SFAS (and get selected) after serving in an aviation unit in Korea for year, doing no rucking, shit PT and drinking like a fish. Like the kid said, some got it in them, some don't.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
NBTNDT
Embryo

Post by NBTNDT »

The SFAS training booklet does not exceed 45lbs but you will carry ALOT more than that in SFAS. Generally the minimum weight you will carry is 45 not including food and water (usually you add a few buffer lbs in the ruck so probably 48-50 not including food/water), so total is closer to 60+, but there are times when you carry a huge amount of weight 160lbs+. Can't really train for the weight you will carry but that doesn't mean you shouldn't train with a ruck at all. I was just out of MI AIT and clueless with nobody at my base I could find who was BTDT (FT Ord) so I just carried the "air assault" load for training (35lbs) and not nearly often enough. It was a huge mistake: I was uncomfortable with the minimum weight during selection (shit, I was 5'9" and weighed 140), when we got to team week I was already hurting pretty bad. I really wished I had trained with at least a 45lb and done it more often. I sucked it up but it was far more brutal than it needed to be.

I do agree that traing for long roadmarches is not very effective. They are designed to be gut checks anyway and training for them causes you to risk losing too much time to recovery. Better to do 6-8 milers regularly than do 12+ for training.

This is specific to Selection. I dunno about RS.
DLI 89-90, LLVI 107 MI 91-93, MID 1/1 SFG(A) 93-96, 300 MI 97-00, DLI 00-01, 321 MI 01-04, NQ 1/19th SFG(A)
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

I have no problem doing the road marches with Rucks, it's the Ruck runs that I think are wacked out for cadets to be doing. It is a gut check, no doubt, especially with 80 pounds, but I'd rather do the damage when its closer to game time i.e. Ranger school or selection.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Cpart84 wrote:I have no problem doing the road marches with Rucks, it's the Ruck runs that I think are wacked out for cadets to be doing. It is a gut check, no doubt, especially with 80 pounds, but I'd rather do the damage when its closer to game time i.e. Ranger school or selection.

That's got to be the most pussified statement I've heard lately. Either you've got the grit for the job, or you don't. If you are the type to hold back until you THINK it's time for your best effort, you won't go far.

Follow your logic on out. Running can be hard on some people's knees. Why not just shit can running for PT until the Ranger School PT test? Doesn't sound that smart now, does it?

Oh, and you don't do ruck runs in Ranger School. Maybe it's because there are a lot of ROTC kids who have never had a nice heavy ruck on their back yet. They're used to a lighter ruck, and you think RTB is gonna throw an 80lb ruck on their back and expect them to run with it at longer distances? That's a good way to get men hurt.

It's called CONDITIONING. You do it NOW so that your body is conditioned to it.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “About Army Physical Training”