Introduction.

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

evan2213
Egg

Introduction.

Post by evan2213 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Evan and I'm 17. I'm currently enrolled in my first semester of college. I plan on enlisting in DEP until this semester is completed. I've been talking to an Army Recruiter for the past 2 months. My ASVAB was an 88 with a GT score of 125. My love for the military stemmed from two things. My grandfather, and 9/11. My grandfather served in WWII as a Paratrooper in the 8th Army. I always looked up to him and respected him for the discipline that was still evident until the day he died. 9/11 was a catalyst for many emotions in many people. It launched me as a 6th grader into trying to grasp and understand how a this could have happened in a country I always deemed as safe. My freshmen year in High School my brother moved to Europe. An event that would forever change my life. He lived there for two years and when he returned he was different. His liberal thinking was only fueled by the European "mentality" and his lack of respect for MY country infuriated me. Around my sophmore year I new that I couldn't be one of those people 15 years from now arguing over a BBQ about current issues and affairs without never having done anyhting about it. I want to be the person who doesn't have to say a word because my ACTIONS did all the talking. I want to be the man that put his money where his mouth was.

This filled my dreams with hopes of one day serving in the US Armed Forces. But being a stupid teenager prone to mishaps, I sent myself in a totally different direction. I expiremented with marijuana and drinking. Being the youngest 5 brothers fighting came naturally. I finally got busted during finals week 3 months ago. When I woke up that morning I knew I had to make a change. I went to court and plead guilty for "use of marijuana". I removed myself from the influences that had affected my life thus far. I took my GED. I've read many posts in this forum lambasting GED's. But for me it was a must I needed to get out. I'm smart enough I know it won't haunt me. I know it was the best thing for me and now my mindset is to move on and never look back.

My parents an I have filled out all the necessary paperwork and I'm ready to go to MEPS. The recruiters all but told me I could have the 11x Option 40 contract until two days ago when they told me my waiver will exclude me from getting the needed SECRET security clearance. This put a twist in my dreams and started me thinking on the intentions of my recruiters. From day one they were telling me it was better to go Cav Scout then Rangers because if I "failed" (which is not an option). I could fall back on something besides infantryman. The station commander was a Cav Scout so I don't know if he's just trying to make me follow his direction. I've been told it's a "shot in the dark" to get the clearance. Any opinions? Advice? I want to be a Ranger! I'm going to be a Ranger. I'm going to get there one way or another, even if I have to bust my ass while as an infantryman. I would really like this contract though.

PU- 83
SU- 72
2 mile - 13:56
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Evan, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. For the moment, I reserve judgement. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right place. Here you get the ground truth from men who have been there and done that. We verify the credentials of anyone who uses the honorific Ranger. Now, having said that, did your recruiter tell you that if you have a GED and 15 semester hours of college work, you are eligable for Option 40? Now, I can't say much about the impact of a drug conviction, because I don't know about that. Others will be along shortly to get you involved with the DEP program we have here. In the meantime, never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

You have decent PT scores young man, but the drug conviction will be a high hurdle to overcome. That is not to say it is impossible, you may be prevented from obtaining an OPT40 contract though.

If in fact you are, I would suggest that you ensure you obtain Airborne as part of your contract, this way you at least are ensured of getting to Airborne school and from that point you have greater access to the Ranger Liaison who can determine if you are eligible for a waiver of some kind.

Good luck, welcome to ArmyRanger.com.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. You may have to just work harder to try and overcome you past mistakes. It can be done, just never quit.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Bugsy wrote:You have decent PT scores young man, but the drug conviction will be a high hurdle to overcome. That is not to say it is impossible, you may be prevented from obtaining an OPT40 contract though.

If in fact you are, I would suggest that you ensure you obtain Airborne as part of your contract, this way you at least are ensured of getting to Airborne school and from that point you have greater access to the Ranger Liaison who can determine if you are eligible for a waiver of some kind.

Good luck, welcome to ArmyRanger.com.

Heathen translation: Never fucking plead guilty you stupid fuck!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome. Until somone tells you here that it is impossible to receive the 11x option 40 contract don't sign anything else. That's if you want it. If it's true that the waiver will exclude you from an 11x option 40 then go for Airborne and if I'm not mistaken that's 11x option 4.

Good luck and never quit.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Deadpool
Ranger

Post by Deadpool »

Welcome and good luck.
B Co. 1/75 '00 - '02

"I say we blow the fuckers up." - Booger
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome. I'm glad that you've chosen to turn your life around. Wise choice. Good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

You're 17 and have a minor possession charge. I'm not a law enforcement officer, but there are several LEOs on this board who can advise you, if they feel you're worth the effort. I'd recommend you find out the facts about getting that expunged from your record, if that's even possible. However - never lie concerning a security clearance. The truth will come out - trust me.

I smoked pot when I was a teen - hell, it was the 80s. It's on my security clearance, however I never had a conviction.

Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
evan2213
Egg

Post by evan2213 »

Thank Rangers for your responses,

Ranger Jim, my recruiter did tell me that I was eligible for the 11x Option 40 contract with a GED and 15 college credits. After this semester I will actually have 18 so I'm covered on that front. Everything was good while I was just talking to him, but as soon as I finished all my paperwork and started getting ready for MEP's he changed his tune. So I'm not sure what he's trying to do, or maybe he didn't want to discourage.

Ranger 42L5V, I answered everything on my SF-86 honestly.

Ranger Chiron, if I don't get the security clearance I know it's all on me. So I've put it in the back of my mind that I'll settle but for nothing less then Airborne. This is what I want to do. If I can't do it on the first pass, I might as well start lining up my ducks.

Thank you Ranger Earthpig for your words of encouragement.

General Question: If I don't get the security clearance, how long until I'm eligible for another interview? I've heard 18-24 months. If this is the case what routes would be the best to get my ducks in order?

Thank you Rangers.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to become an Army Ranger. If there is a will, there is often a way. You may have to wait a while to prove your clean, so go do that college thing. That will serve you well no matter what choices you make in the future.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

evan2213 wrote:...So I've put it in the back of my mind that I'll settle but for nothing less then Airborne.
Way wrong answer. Do flutter kicks.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

42L5V wrote:
evan2213 wrote:...So I've put it in the back of my mind that I'll settle but for nothing less then Airborne.
Way wrong answer. Do flutter kicks.

It's a four count exercise.

One Two Three ONE

One Two Three TWO

One Two Three THREE

One Two Three FOUR

One Two Three FIVE.....

One Two Three keep going till Ranger 42L5V gets tired...

Return to “Introduction Archive”