DLA

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

GoardHeart
Ranger

DLA

Post by GoardHeart »

PCSing to Hood. Anyone know where/when/how I file for my DLA? And any other PCS tips are welcome too.
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Attend your PCS brief. They will have the instructions on filing DLA, Partial DTY, Full DTY, etc.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

The Holmchicken wrote:Attend your PCS brief. They will have the instructions on filing DLA, Partial DTY, Full DTY, etc.
:lol: :lol:

The rules are different if this is your first PCS (like PCS from your schooling pipeline). If you've served a tour and this is your second PCS, then you can file for Advance DLA, etc. etc.

I'd recommend that you do at least a partial dity move. If you own a truck, then do a partial. You can throw a 20 lb toolbox in the back of your truck, claim it, and the Army will pay you for 500 lbs (that's the lowest the Army figures). You'll need the title to your vehicle, and a copy of rental agreement if towing a trailer. (if you own a trailer, you'll need the registration to it, some states require it. KY is one that doesn't, so you can tell them that, if you choose to be dishonest.) If you pull a boat, or motorcycle, trailer, motorhome, etc. etc. then you can do a partial dity move with that. ANYTHING that you claim on a dity move counts towards your total allowance for weight. You can also get an advance on your estimated dity move payment, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really need it. Keep copies of any rental agreement (U-haul or whatever). Weigh your vehicle empty (I mean empty - no gas, no trunk of crap, empty). Then after you load, weigh your vehicle full (fill up the gas tank too). I've always gotten my weight tickets at the same place, but you're supposed to get your empty weight at origin and your full weight at destination. Screw that - the last thing I want to do after driving 15 hours with a family is try and find a friggin' weigh station. I've always got both weights at origin and never had a problem.

Any questions - send a PM.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Rico
Ranger

Re: DLA

Post by Rico »

GoardHeart wrote:PCSing to Hood. Anyone know where/when/how I file for my DLA? And any other PCS tips are welcome too.
You should give the rest of us "Texas Rangers" a call when you get down this way, we'll grab a beer. As to your querry.... I have no idea.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

If this is your first PCS to a duty station then you can't get DLA. If you have been at a post prior to Benning then you should be entitled. If you are a brand new LT and your college was your last residence, then sorry LT, you can't get DLA on this move to Hood. If you were to say, try out for the Ranger Regiment and get accepted, then you would be entitled to it when you PCS then.

42L5V is most right on his post, if you have a truck, cram as much heavy shit as you can into the cab and bed of it, (if you have a car do the same)fill it up and weigh it. You'd be surprised how much coin you can make on a partial DITY move. Anything you don't want broken (i.e. picture frames), stolen (CD's, DVD's, iPods, Playstations, etc.) or is of any value to you, sentimental or otherwise, take it yourself. I'm not saying that all the movers are thieves, but small stuff has a way of growing legs or getting lost. Make sure everything you own is on that inventory that you fill out with the movers.

I imagine that you are allowed 4-5 travel days to make it from Benning to Hood. You'll probably safely make it in 3. Take that extra day to relax a bit and start to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Hood is a massive place. Almost overwhelming. Stop and take a breath, because after you inprocess, it's the last time you are going to have a break. As a new INF LT you will hit the ground running.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater

Return to “The Mosh Pit”