Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Spartan

Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

Post by Spartan »

OK - I am posting this here - it's a two parter -

1. How many who are on this site in the status of 'Newt' plan on becoming Rangers? Sound off if you are one and if you've taken the ASVAB and/or visited a recruiter yet.

2. What is the current workout plan that you are following?
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

Ranger Spartan, I am aspiring to be a Ranger. I have not taken the ASVAB or visited a recruiter yet, I still have one year of highschool left so I will probably do both around Christmas time.

My workout plan is starting once I finish with finals in a week and a half. I am going to follow the plan in THIS BOOK ). It is a 52 week plan in total and is good for begginers and experienced people alike. I may also try the workout plan shown on specialtactics.com depending on how the book is.[/url]
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

Ranger Spartan,

1.) I took the ASVAB yesterday. Will post the results once I have them. My recruiter was an Army Nurse before she moved into recruiting. She set up a time for me to meet with a SFC in the 5th SF Group. He offered a lot of insight into combat arms stuff.

2.) I run three times a week for 3-4 miles each time, PU's every day. On the swim team in college I put in approx. 50,000 meters of swimming per week. Now that the season is over I'm cutting down on that to spend more time running and PTing.
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
jrw2692
Embryo

Post by jrw2692 »

I took the practice ASVAB while visiting my recruiters office. I scored a 58, which im planning on improving next time around. My parents wont sign for me so I'm going to do so own my own when I turn 18, which conviently is tomorrow. I'm going to set up another meeting with my recruiter after this weekend is over.

I need to get my ass in gear when it comes to an exercise schedule. I run a couple times a week, mostly two miles at around 15-16 minutes. I do push-ups, situps, and pull-ups every day. I can do about 60 PU's, 80 SU's and 6 pull ups.
Looon
Ranger

Re: ASVAB and Workout

Post by Looon »

swimmerkid187 wrote:Ranger Spartan,
I have set my sights on being an Airborne Ranger, however I have not taken the ASVAB but my recruiter was with the 101st Air Assualt. I run every day except sunday, and ruck on saturdays with a 50lbs pack for 8 8miles at a 15 mile pace with jungle combat boots. Im in Tae Kwon Do which helps with my coordination flexiblity and cardio, I do an average of about 500 pushups everyother day and 300 V-ups and flutter kicks. Also I go to the weight room everyother day and do various workouts, ie.

Everyday Tae Kwon Do and Run 9Except sunday)

Every other Day

Excerise Rep Set Weight
Pullups 15 5
Chinups 12 5
Bicep Curls 10 5 35
Tricep Rasies 10 5 35
Bench Press 5 5 150
Squats 20 3 145
Roman Chair 25 5
Lat. Pulldown 10 5 100
Butterflys 7 5 150 (75 on each)
Pushups 50 10
V-ups 25 12
Dips 15 4
Incline Bench 5 5 135

Run 6 miles 34: 30 mins
4 200 yard sprints 30 sec interval

Saturday - Ruck with 50 lbs pack and combat boots at 15min pace

But Im a sophmore in highschool, Im on the gymnastics, cross country and swimming team. And I read all the manuals I can get also memiors and anything that might help with the ASVAB like math and physics.
I weigh 130 and am 5' 8 so Im under weight and I need to gain 17lbs which Im currently working on by drinking protein shakes.

Sorry for the long post.
Kid, you are hooah little bastard!! 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Parabellum
Ranger

Re: ASVAB and Workout

Post by Parabellum »

swimmerkid187 wrote:Ranger Spartan,
I have set my sights on being an Airborne Ranger, however I have not taken the ASVAB but my recruiter was with the 101st Air Assualt. I run every day except sunday, and ruck on saturdays with a 50lbs pack for 8 8miles at a 15 mile pace with jungle combat boots. Im in Tae Kwon Do which helps with my coordination flexiblity and cardio, I do an average of about 500 pushups everyother day and 300 V-ups and flutter kicks. Also I go to the weight room everyother day and do various workouts, ie.

Everyday Tae Kwon Do and Run (Except sunday)

Every other Day

Excerise Rep Set Weight
Pullups- 15 5
Chinups- 12 5
Bicep Curls- 10 5 35
Tricep Rasies- 10 5 35
Bench Press- 5 5 150
Squats- 20 3 145
Roman Chair- 25 5
Lat. Pulldown- 10 5 100
Butterflys- 7 5 150 (75 on each)
Pushups- 50 10
V-ups- 25 12
Dips- 15 4
Incline Bench- 5 5 135

Run 6 miles 34: 30 mins
4 200 yard sprints 30 sec interval

Saturday - Ruck with 50 lbs pack and combat boots at 15min pace

But Im a sophmore in highschool, Im on the gymnastics, cross country and swimming team. And I read all the manuals I can get also memiors and anything that might help with the ASVAB like math and physics.
I weigh 130 and am 5' 8 so Im under weight and I need to gain 17lbs which Im currently working on by drinking protein shakes.

Sorry for the long post.
Tell you what kid. I'm impressed if this information is acurate. You need to be taking a multi-vitaman and you need to increase your carb intake.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Monsoon
Ranger

Post by Monsoon »

Damn swimmerkid187, thats a lot... :D
Monsoon
Ranger

Post by Monsoon »

I have a question about weight gain also, I am about 5'9 or 5'10 and weigh around 125. I currently work out with weights on Mondays, Wednesdays,Fridays and some Sundays. I have soccer practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and socccer games on most Saturdays. I do 100 sit ups everynight, 2sets of 50 with 40 sec rest in between. After i work out i drink a protein shake with around 1600 calories. On the days I dont work out with weights i do Pu's along with my sit ups. I am a Freshman in high school, and would like some information on how to gain some more weight, one reason is because I didnt make my high school varsity soccer team because I was "too small". I would like to gain around 10-15 more pounds. Thank you for any information. Sorry the post was so long.
Monsoon
Ranger

Post by Monsoon »

Thanks swimmerkid187, I'm gonna do that run after practice from now on starting in the summer, I'll have plenty of time to do it then. I have a suggestion for the protein shake, if you want any of my advice. I went to GNC and got their brand called "weight gainer" and it comes in alot of flavors, and compared to the other protein shakes I've drinken, it actually doesnt taste that bad. But anyways its like 25 dollars i think for the smaller one. They recommend 3 scoups of the powder, which is around 2000 calories, but I just do two scoops, which is around 1600 calories I believe. Anyways thanks for the help.
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

Weight gainer is not the best idea, but if you have tried everything then I guess you could give it a shot. If GNC's weight gainer is like most others it is full of calories from fat and sugar. Just try eating larger portions and stick with regular protein shakes.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Ehhh, weigh gainers are good in all, but once you get to basic you wont have access to it and you'll lose everything you gained from it. I remembers guys would come to basic all pumped on creatine and what not and would shrivel up in a week. It's best to a very balanced meal. Seems like you have the physical aspect down pretty well, now all you need to do is test your mental strength :twisted:
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''

Return to “About Army Physical Training”