Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

wolfbrother
Embryo

Introduction

Post by wolfbrother »

Hello,

My name is Zach and I'm a 23 year old from the state of Ohio. My intent is to become an Army Ranger, and I'm in the process of making that desire into a reality. I have been working with the local recruiter and am scheduled to go to MEPS in early August to take the physical, ASVAB, etc.

Currently, I PT at least 6 days a week and try to ruck at least twice in that same time frame.
(2 minutes)
PU:63
SU: 70
2 mile run: 13:33

I know my scores have a long way to go, and its something I'm definitely dedicated to working on.

I don't know if its of any value or not, but in lieu of a real ASVAB score, the ASVAB pre-test I took said I scored 73.

I believe I may have some trouble securing an 11X with an option 40 because I may need a waiver for the hearing in my left ear. I can still hear with it, and it doesn't impair me at all, but I might not pass the hearing test at MEPS. I'm really hoping that I will. My second issue at the moment is that I have a home school diploma, and from what I've read on this site, if you have a home school diploma, you need to have at least 15 collage credit hours to be able to obtain an option 40. I am more than willing to get the credits if it will enable me to get the option 40. The recruiter did a sent up a tier evaluation, and said I qualified as a 1, but would officially be a 2. I'm still kind of confused about that situation.

In closing I would like to say "thank you" to all the Rangers who are on this board for sharing your knowledge and experience, and also for your service to our country. I have been reading on the site for a couple weeks now, and its definitely a lot of good information.

Thanks again,
Zach

(I would have an avatar, but the gallery is not functioning on my computer. Is this a problem for all users or is it just on my end??)
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Good intro, good luck in becoming a Ranger.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome, Zach. Read FAQs, stickies and heed advice of those who have gone before you.

Good PT scores, keep shooting for max.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Nice intro, good luck to you

Your PT is really pretty good, work on PU and a few more sit-ups. Contrary to popular belief not "everyone" in BN scored 300, far from it. Everyone was a stud for sure and I don't know many that were below 270 or 280 but only a small percentage scored 300 consistantly. Make sure you can run 5 miles faster than 40 minutes as that seemed to be tough for some guys. You must also be able to do at least 6 pull ups as Regiment requires pull-ups in its APFT. Your rucking should really help. Make sure you are using whatever ruck system you will use in basic, I am not sure if it is still the Large Alice or not. Load it with at least 45 Lbs. In BN you will carry much more but in basic 45 should suffice for starters.

Mental toughness is much more important in BN than pure physical ability. If you can get to that place of true suffering and then push into it you will have the beginging of what it takes to get there.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome and thanks for your desire to become and serve with the best of the very best, the U.S. Army Rangers.
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Decent intro, young man.

Two words of advice: NEVER QUIT.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Your situation sounds similar to mine ten short years ago..

I didn't have a high school deploma, albeit for an entirely different reason, and I also had to get a shitload of waivers because of various different reasons all leading to one source of frustration for my recruiters; I was a knucklehead as a young man.

My point in telling you this is not to highlight my past mistakes, or to make light of your situation. But the truth is I had just as many setbacks as you do when I tried to enlist, and I made it. So can you. Follow through to your goal, there's always a way to make it happen. You may sometimes have to remind the recruiter of that fact.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Zach, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right place. The DEPs should have contacted you already to assist you on your quest. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
wolfbrother
Embryo

Post by wolfbrother »

I would like to say thank you to all the Rangers who have welcomed me into your online domain. I would also like to thank you for all the words of wisdom and advice that you have shared with me.

To Ranger Charlie 51: Thank you for the additional PT knowledge and advice. I understand what you are saying about mental toughness, and I can definitely understand the need to push yourself well beyond your limits. I will heed your advice.

To Ranger j.rico: Thank you for sharing your story. It really encouraged me to keep pressing towards my goal. If you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on the path you took make it to the Rangers?
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

wolfbrother wrote:I would like to say thank you to all the Rangers who have welcomed me into your online domain. I would also like to thank you for all the words of wisdom and advice that you have shared with me.

To Ranger Charlie 51: Thank you for the additional PT knowledge and advice. I understand what you are saying about mental toughness, and I can definitely understand the need to push yourself well beyond your limits. I will heed your advice.

To Ranger j.rico: Thank you for sharing your story. It really encouraged me to keep pressing towards my goal. If you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on the path you took make it to the Rangers?
Not sure where my boy supersenior is at, but he should come tighten up your shot group.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

wolfbrother wrote:I would like to say thank you to all the Rangers who have welcomed me into your online domain. I would also like to thank you for all the words of wisdom and advice that you have shared with me.

To Wolfbrother:

WELCOME TO ARMYRANGER.COM!!! :twisted:

Use the search button often and PT your butt off. Good luck
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to become an Army Ranger. I hope everything goes well for you at MEPS. Keep us posted.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Better not fuck it up for the rest of us from Ohio.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co

Return to “Introduction Archive”