Grappling

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

EvilCouch wrote:
But, SFC Larsen was a only purple belt at the time he was training me, and he could knock the shit out of me every time I tried to take him.
When was this Ranger EvilCouch?

Just curious, but has anyone asked Sergeant Larsen to come to the forum?
EvilCouch wrote: "CDAT? Coffin of Death, with A Turret?"

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote: "I like that...when I die I want to have a turret on the coffin. I want people to trip over my big gun when I'm buried...till the grounds keepers get tired of mowing around it and cut it off with a hacksaw..."

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
A Co 1-8 Cav, 1st Cav 98-00
D Co 2/334/9/84th Inf Div (IT) 00-05
ETSed Sept 05
rum_snuggles

Post by rum_snuggles »

EvilCouch wrote:Personally, I think that Judo is a horrible martial art to learn. Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square.
I normally wouldn't post in this area of the forums, but as a former student of Judo, I wanted to toss in my two cents on this matter.

Ranger EvilCouch, you're correct. Judo, although (in my opinion) very easy to learn, serves very little purpose outside of the square. I studied at a school in Altoona 'til I received my green belt, and in comparison to some of the other martial arts I've touched on in my life (Tang Soo Do, Shotokan), it is very...friendly, I guess is about the right word. Very little of what I learned is going to be applicable to a close-quarters fight. Sure, I can toss people around a bit, and in a grapple I'll be able to adequately defend myself, but I've always preferred joint manipulation and aggressive speed to getting on the ground and scrambling for a choke-hold or something...

It's been fun to use in other places, however. :twisted:

I noticed that a lot of the UFC fighters have experience with Judo, but combine it with other arts in order to actually be effective, so it does seem to have its place in world-class arenas. One of the better Couture/Liddell matches involved a lot of grappling.
MORIBUND88
Embryo

Post by MORIBUND88 »

Scuba Wino wrote:
MORIBUND88 wrote:EvilCouch, all one has to do is look at the world. Cheers
God damned your a thick headed fucking moron. Jesus H. Fucking Christ, sweet mother Mary. Are you really that much of a fucking idiot that you can't listen and learn.

You've already shit on the carpet once, we cleaned it and sprayed and let you stay in the house, and now you shit on the carpet again.

You're a disrespectful little fucking ass clown tht doesn't know fucking shit.

You, kind sir need you shut the fuck up and read before you post anymore.

It's Ranger Evil Couch and Ranger so and so to you. You have been warned about this MANY many times and you refuse to learn it.

I just happen to have a lot of pent up energy for having to be so nice for the last few months. Now you're making it hard on me to stay nice.

Strike three, you need to go!

And knock off the fucking "Cheers" thing, you're Canadian....I don't walk around saying fucking "Eh!"
Ranger Creeping Death has edited my post because I have poor reading comprehension skills and am a little slow on the uptake. After repeated warnings, I was unable to get it through my empty, although thick, skull that the Rangers here don't give a flying fuck how smart I think I am, or how much I think I know about martial arts, and they have even less tolerance of my piss poor, spoiled little kid who needs his ass beat attitude. And finally, he has helped me see, in a way that even the most inept amoung us can understand, that the Rangers here will not EVER tolerate disrespect at any level, for any reason, at any time, by a whiny little Canuck fucktard like me.

Thank you, Ranger Creeping Death, for helping see the err of my ways.
Should you fall my friend, another friend will emerge from the shadows to take your place.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

MORIBUND88 wrote: Ranger Scuba Wino...fuck you, you are proving nothing more than the fact that you are a douche bag, probably one you pulled from your mom or little sister.

I can say cheers all I want because it is a greeting, universally, holy fuck dude, pull your head from your ass. At least I am not mimicing the lazy American "Huh" that comes out of many of your mouths to end a sentence.

Whoever keeps saying fuck france, I don't know how that is meant to offend, I couldn't give a flying fuck about France, it's not my back yard.

CHEERS
What a toilet scar..... :roll:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

MORIBUND88 wrote:
Scuba Wino wrote:
God damned your a thick headed fucking moron. Jesus H. Fucking Christ, sweet mother Mary. Are you really that much of a fucking idiot that you can't listen and learn.

You've already shit on the carpet once, we cleaned it and sprayed and let you stay in the house, and now you shit on the carpet again.

It's Ranger Evil Couch and Ranger so and so to you. You have been warned about this MANY many times and you refuse to learn it.

I just happen to have a lot of pent up energy for having to be so nice for the last few months. Now you're making it hard on me to stay nice.

And knock off the fucking "Cheers" thing, you're Canadian....I don't walk around saying fucking "Eh!"
Ranger Scuba Wino...fuck you, you are proving nothing more than the fact that you are a douche bag, probably one you pulled from your mom or little sister.

I can say cheers all I want because it is a greeting, universally, holy fuck dude, pull your head from your ass. At least I am not mimicing the lazy American "Huh" that comes out of many of your mouths to end a sentence.

Whoever keeps saying fuck france, I don't know how that is meant to offend, I couldn't give a flying fuck about France, it's not my back yard.

CHEERS

Yeah ........I am thinking you have worn out, your already tattered, welcome ass clown .....you cant abide then hit the fuckin road.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

MORIBUND88 wrote:
Scuba Wino wrote:

Ranger Scuba Wino...fuck you, you are proving nothing more than the fact that you are a douche bag, probably one you pulled from your mom or little sister.

CHEERS
Still haven't figured it out, have you fuckstain.

It's time for you to go.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I can say Fuck France all I want because it is a greeting, universally, holy fuck dude, pull your head from your ass. At least I am not mimicing the lazy Canadian "A" that comes out of your mouths to end a sentence.

Fuck you you French Reject Canadian.
It's all good.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Useaspoon wrote:Hello Rangers (and all others reading),

It warms my heart to see a more up to date combatives course being taught to todays soldiers. Overall I believe the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu system to be one of the absolute best systems availible. That is not to say it is unbeatable or holds all the answers. But if I had to take someone who could only spend 1 month training and teach them one system it would be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I think you are going to get the best bang for your buck.

In my opinion to be more well rounded you need 4 types of training: Weapons, Striking, Takedowns, Grappling.

To each his own in whatever works for them in whatever combination they prefer. But leaving any one of those types of training out of your curriculum is weakness.

I understand that the US Army has to have a method to teach large numbers of soldiers an effective method that is both efficient and applicable. It seems that the combatives course teaches the fundamental basics of ground grappling. Although it has inherent limitations it is certainly better than trying to teach soldiers some idiotic and unrealistic system like Tae Kwon Do - sorry, no jumping kicks with 60lbs of gear on. And it is more efficient than teaching a system that requires a lot of time to be proficient in - like boxing. Sure you can teach good punching mechanics, but it will be many months or years before someone is going to be proficient enough to use it as a primary fighting style. In the limited amount of time you have, and the sheer volume of soldiers you have to teach grappling is definately viable.

The other thing is the ability in which you can actually practice when you learn. I mean that you can practice with 100% full out effort against a 100% full out resisting opponent with relative safety. The downfall of many martial arts is they fall into a 'too deadly to practice' rhetoric - and begin believing thier own bullshit since they can't actually 'test' it against a live and resisting opponent. This is where much of the nose-bone-to-the-brain, and tearing-out-ribs-with-bare-hands kind of crap that gets passed down by one brainwashed master to the next. That is the thing with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If it doesn't work you will immediately know it. The bullshit, rhetoric, and pedantic arguments are removed.

I know all of the arguments against grappling. I have heard all the crap like eye gouges, bites, etc. Everyone can bite. I know that you 'shouldnt' go to the ground because you cant get away - yeah - you should have gotten away before you got taken down. You still need to know how to deal with it. Yes, yes, yes. Contextually everyone might have a point. When fighting multiple opponents across fields of broken glass and lava against AIDS infected Haitians BJJ is a bad choice.

THE POINT IS THAT GRAPPLING ISN'T YOUR CHOICE. YOUR CHOICE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A ROUND BETWEEN YOUR OPPONENTS EYES AT @200YDS OR AN E-TOOL TO THE SKULL. GRAPPLING IS WHERE YOU HAVE TO FIGHT, NOT WHERE YOU WANTED TO FIGHT. WHETHER YOU GOT TAKEN DOWN, KNOCKED DOWN, OR WHATEVER - many of the skills you will need to endure or overcome your opponent will be found in BJJ.

Let me summarize by saying I understand the neccessity of actually FIGHTING with this stuff is remote. And I understand the inherent limitations of the system by its lack of weapons, striking, and only weak takedowns. But in terms of bang for your buck it is the best thing you have got.
Yep, you sound like a future butter bar......... :roll:
It's all good.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Damn, you fuckers didn't leave any meat for me to chew on. :twisted: Oh well you snooze you lose, I hate missin out on a feedin frenzy though.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:
But, SFC Larsen was a only purple belt at the time he was training me, and he could knock the shit out of me every time I tried to take him.
When was this Ranger EvilCouch?

Just curious, but has anyone asked Sergeant Larsen to come to the forum?
It was around the mid 2001 to early 2003 time frame.

And I mentioned the site to him about 2 months ago, when I was asking him to fact-check my Wikipedia article on the Combatives School. I think he's probably pretty busy.

As I understand it, he's a GS-a billion now and in charge of Combatives Army-wide, which probably leaves him little time to play around on our forums.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

rum_snuggles wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:Personally, I think that Judo is a horrible martial art to learn. Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square.
I normally wouldn't post in this area of the forums, but as a former student of Judo, I wanted to toss in my two cents on this matter.

Ranger EvilCouch, you're correct. Judo, although (in my opinion) very easy to learn, serves very little purpose outside of the square. I studied at a school in Altoona 'til I received my green belt, and in comparison to some of the other martial arts I've touched on in my life (Tang Soo Do, Shotokan), it is very...friendly, I guess is about the right word. Very little of what I learned is going to be applicable to a close-quarters fight. Sure, I can toss people around a bit, and in a grapple I'll be able to adequately defend myself, but I've always preferred joint manipulation and aggressive speed to getting on the ground and scrambling for a choke-hold or something...

It's been fun to use in other places, however. :twisted:

I noticed that a lot of the UFC fighters have experience with Judo, but combine it with other arts in order to actually be effective, so it does seem to have its place in world-class arenas. One of the better Couture/Liddell matches involved a lot of grappling.
Well, Judo by itself CAN be an effective fighting style. The problem is that the majority of the techniques designed to be used in a real fight aren't taught until the black-belt level and even then, most Judo players now don't focus on those aspects, but instead focus on the sport.

Someone being taught at a school with a classic approach to the style will be a rounded fighter around the time they hit nidan. But that'd take at least 5 years.

Meanwhile, someone can get trained in Jujutsu for a year or two and beat the absolute shit out of someone that started training in Judo around the same time.

Training in MMA is all about how fast you can learn techniques applicable to a fight. And Judo is too slow in most cases. Judo forms a fantastic base that you can build on. With the right additional training, a Judo player can be an excellent fighter. But it doesn't happen nearly as quickly as it does with Jujutsu.

On the plus side, it does happen faster than it would with Kung Fu or Tae Kwon Do.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Close Combat”