The American Legion

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

The American Legion

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I got a surprise in the mail today: a membership packet from the American Legion. I know this is a fine organization, but I haven't yet observed one of their members who wasn't also eligible for the senior discount at Denny's.

Sound-off if you're an American Legion member under the age of 40, or belong to a post with notable membership of those under 40!
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I'm under 40, but not a member, just VFW and DAV
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Under 40. VFW member since '91. Will most likely become a DAV member, when they represent my appeal to the VA rating, which I haven't yet received.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Myth
US Army Veteran

Under 40

Post by Myth »

Under 40 and a member
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

What difference does your age make? The American Legion's relevance has nothing to do with shuffleboard games and senior discounts. It has to do with being one of the two most powerful lobbying interests in this country (the other being the DAV) promoting the wellfare of American servicemen and women while they're in the military and after they get out. If you think that platform has some relevance to your own life, then think about supporting them.

BTW GI Bill benefits, home loans, an expanded VA disability bureaucracy, and many other benefits were instituted as a result of American Legion, VFW, and DAV lobbying following WWII. We have a lot to thank them for.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
AntonA2W
Ranger

legion

Post by AntonA2W »

Im 32, 8 yr member of Clark 328. we have over 1100 members, and quite a few are under 40, bunch of cute chicks under 60 too!!
I print the Tshirts for about 20-25 legions, so I bounce around alot. Every one has their little "clicks". Some posts are cool, easygoing, have a nice time there. Other posts have a stick up their ass about service/war/units and you have to blurt out your service record to every asshole until they know you. I just tell them, "Nah, nuthin special, they just told me I could be a member." Then I'd hear about their 6 tours in Nam with Seals or some shit. I just say 1st Ranger Batt, then they'd yap about some friend of theirs in Bn, or group and walk away, pretty funny.
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

37 and member...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: legion

Post by Jim »

AntonA2W wrote:Im 32, 8 yr member of Clark 328. we have over 1100 members, and quite a few are under 40, bunch of cute chicks under 60 too!!
I print the Tshirts for about 20-25 legions, so I bounce around alot. Every one has their little "clicks". Some posts are cool, easygoing, have a nice time there. Other posts have a stick up their ass about service/war/units and you have to blurt out your service record to every asshole until they know you. I just tell them, "Nah, nuthin special, they just told me I could be a member." Then I'd hear about their 6 tours in Nam with Seals or some shit. I just say 1st Ranger Batt, then they'd yap about some friend of theirs in Bn, or group and walk away, pretty funny.
Mirrors my experience. I am a Life Member of the local VFW in the town I grew-up in Pennsylvania. Only go by once a year at Christmas. Last time I was there there were about 75 people at the bar; but maybe 7 - 10 actual members. Everyone else were social members.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

hobbit wrote:What difference does your age make?
I suppose in an ideal world it shouldn't make a difference, but with past experience, I know it can make a difference in my attitude and the way I conduct myself.
Old Grunt wrote:'Fess up, C&D, you're over 40 and you just don't want us to know!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry to disappoint you, OG, but my dad served in about the same time frame as you. :lol:

Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and submit that packet. Thanks for the input everyone!
undergoodcanopy
Ranger

Re: The American Legion

Post by undergoodcanopy »

CloakAndDagger wrote:I got a surprise in the mail today: a membership packet from the American Legion. I know this is a fine organization, but I haven't yet observed one of their members who wasn't also eligible for the senior discount at Denny's.

Sound-off if you're an American Legion member under the age of 40, or belong to a post with notable membership of those under 40!
I spend the summers with the HH6's family, her dad who is 75 is a Korean War veteran.
Paid for my lifetime membership for his VFW post, when his friends (fellow veterans)found out I was a veteran myself, they guilted him into"ensuring" his son-in-law joined the post.
Like you I was aprehensive at first because of the age difference between myself and the guys in the VFW; once I got invoved and went to a couple of meetings, and had a few beers, I realized with age comes experience and this group is chalk full of experience: from Iwo Jima to D-day!
82nd Abn Div 2/325th A.I.R.: 89-94
JRTC TF2 (observer/controller)_94-97
RS 8-92 (LAST HARD CLASS)
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

I am 30 and I was a member until this came out.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... r_service/

I will not stand for this kinda shit and will not renew my membership.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

91W wrote:I am 30 and I was a member until this came out.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... r_service/

I will not stand for this kinda shit and will not renew my membership.
What the fuck? How did he not get hemmed up for that shit?

That'd be like me calling myself a WWII vet, because my grandfathers were over there.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I think all these organizations are crooked. They participate in waiverable standards in order to fill their coffers. The fact is you can't get within 10 feet of any Politician without needing a shower.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”