Definition of "strack"/"strac"

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
author
Embryo

Definition of "strack"/"strac"

Post by author »

Hi,

I am currently at work on a book about a former Ranger/LRSU during Operations Desert Storm & Shield. He uses the word "strack" a lot, and though I know exactly what he means when he says it, I still haven't found a suitable objective definition. About the closest I could get is the following, from one of Gary Linderer's books:

Strack – a term used to designate the ideal in military dress, demeanor and bearing.

Through Google, I also found the following exchange, which had the added bonus of confusing the issue by introducing an alternate spelling:

> Here is a word which is missing from my dictionaries. I
> suppose it is slang or jargon or both. I think anybody
> who was in the US military in recent decades (that's a
> lot of people) would recognize this adjective. I'm not
> sure there's an exact synonym. I don't know what the
> etymology is: perhaps an alteration of "strict" to rhyme
> with its antonym "slack"? This refers to a person or unit
> exhibiting good discipline and high standards of dress
> etc.: immaculately shined boots, immaculately bloused
> trousers, never a sloppy salute, etc. ... at least as I
> understand it (I'm not a very strack person myself). One
> can see a few examples by googling with "strack outfit",
> "strack troops", etc.

It's "STRAC." Originally an 1950s acronym for Strategic Army Corps, a group of four, elite divisions maintained at a high readiness for overseas
deployment. It began to be used as an adjective, to be "STRAC" was to be prepared (which as Doug notes in the peacetime army usually means shined boots, bloused trousers, and a crisp salute). After the demise of the Corps, the adjectival use hung on. A new, unofficial backronym was formed for it, "Skilled, Tough, Ready, Around the Clock." It was very common in the US Army of the 1980s. I can't vouch for current use of this sense, although I'd imagine it's still in use.

"STRAC" is currently used in the US Army as an official acronym for "Standards in Training Commission," which was almost certainly chosen because of its association with readiness and the earlier, unofficial sense. You'll see this one in a lot of official army web publications and web
sites.

I would really appreciate hearing the thoughts of current/former Rangers on this.

Thanks!
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Failure to follow instructions....

No soup for you!!
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

locked until you read the faqs and post an intro

unlocked HT
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Basic homework is lacking. Wikipedia has about the best entry to explain this term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Army_Corps
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
author
Embryo

Post by author »

Jim wrote:Basic homework is lacking. Wikipedia has about the best entry to explain this term:

Ranger Jim:

I appreciate the link. I had seen the entry, but honestly hadn't noticed the "Other Definitions" at the bottom. For everyone's benefit they are as follows:
STRAC is Army slang term for "a well organized, well turned-out soldier, (pressed uniform, polished brass and shined boots)." A proud, competent trooper who can be depended on for good performance in any circumstance.

Gear clean and tight; Weapon clean and ready; Mind clear, organized, and ready for action. S- skilled T- tough R- ready A- around the C- clock. STRAC
This seems pretty sufficient for my purposes. Anyone disagree? Also, would everyone agree that the acronym "STRAC" should be the same spelling used for the adjective? (As opposed to "strack", which I have seen printed elsewhere.) I'm wary of it because aesthetically it would seem that "strack" would fit better than all caps "STRAC".

Thanks for the help.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

author wrote:
Jim wrote:Basic homework is lacking. Wikipedia has about the best entry to explain this term:

Ranger Jim:

I appreciate the link. I had seen the entry, but honestly hadn't noticed the "Other Definitions" at the bottom. For everyone's benefit they are as follows:
STRAC is Army slang term for "a well organized, well turned-out soldier, (pressed uniform, polished brass and shined boots)." A proud, competent trooper who can be depended on for good performance in any circumstance.

Gear clean and tight; Weapon clean and ready; Mind clear, organized, and ready for action. S- skilled T- tough R- ready A- around the C- clock. STRAC
This seems pretty sufficient for my purposes. Anyone disagree? Also, would everyone agree that the acronym "STRAC" should be the same spelling used for the adjective? (As opposed to "strack", which I have seen printed elsewhere.) I'm wary of it because aesthetically it would seem that "strack" would fit better than all caps "STRAC".

Thanks for the help.
Look you fucking idiot no one else cares about this bullshit. "for everyones benifit" who the fuck are you knob gobbler. You are not our peer, mentor, personal writer or fucking anything. As far as any of us knows you are an attention seeking dickhead writing an article about how old Rangers are a buch of real assholes, well its true. Plus, I never heard anyone outside of Basic training and Airborne school use the term STRAC. Why don't you go research the word Hooah because I'm sure this fag you're writing about uses it constantly too.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Charlie 51 wrote:
author wrote:

Ranger Jim:

Thanks for the help.
Look you fucking idiot no one else cares about this bullshit. "for everyones benifit" who the fuck are you knob gobbler. You are not our peer, mentor, personal writer or fucking anything. As far as any of us knows you are an attention seeking dickhead writing an article about how old Rangers are a buch of real assholes, well its true. Plus, I never heard anyone outside of Basic training and Airborne school use the term STRAC. Why don't you go research the word Hooah because I'm sure this fag you're writing about uses it constantly too.
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com wild man... :D
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

I am not an "asshole",
I prefer the term "balloonknot" thank you very much!
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Invictus wrote:
Charlie 51 wrote:
author wrote: Ranger Jim:

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com wild man... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Damn...this clown has not suck started a glock yet? well I guess it would be a waste of ammo.
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

rgrjoe175 wrote:Damn...this clown has not suck started a glock yet? well I guess it would be a waste of ammo.
STFU, you're supposed to be banned...... :D
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I guess he's straight...

can't wait to read the book :roll:
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

STRAC!

Fuck,
Just typing that is funny. Say it out loud. I dare you. You will laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know at least 10 of you will say it out loud and then immediately start laughing.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
F50LRRP
BANNED

STRAC

Post by F50LRRP »

Back in the day at Bragg, STRAC stood for "SHIT, The Russians are Coming.

Mike

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”