Best civilian job there is: The FDNY is seeking current mil:

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Best civilian job there is: The FDNY is seeking current mil:

Post by K.Ingraham »

There is a date cutoff here, act now, even if you're not sure.
The FDNY is looking for serving military and recent vets, seems civilians just don't work out as well (duh!)
Here it is, just as I recieved it:

"To those of you who were a little confused by the last e-mail sent out - what we are trying to do is get as many members of the armed forces as possible to register for the upcoming FDNY test so they have something to fall back on when their time is up with the military.

Registering basically guarantees you a chance to take the test. We (myself, John Colon, Project Homefront, SI) are working with the higher ups of the FDNY to allow members who are presently serving our country and maybe cannot take the test on the specific test date because they are overseas, to be able to take the test when their time is up. This way, they will be eligible for a career as a NYC firefighter if they wish. We would love to fill upcoming career with members like yourselves and other men and women who serve our country than some Joe Shmoe off the street who is just taking the job to take the job.

If you are a member of the military or know anyone who might be interested please forward them this e-mail. Any questions please let me know. The most important part is registering - if your son, daughter family member cannot register, do it for them to hold that spot which could be very important to their future. Thanks for everything you all do, God Bless and stay safe.
Craig Chille FDNY
Ladder 87
www.engine167ladder87.com

TO OUR BRAVE FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

It is be our pleasure to inform you of the upcoming FDNY test which is offered every four years. A career as a NYC Firefighter is a rewarding career which offers :
The benefits include:

- wide variety of healthy plans
- excellent medical leave benefits
- flexible work schedule
- about four weeks annual vacation
- generous pension after 20 years of service
- veteran credits awarded to the final adjusted score

If you do not have access to a money order, or cannot get to the postal service, have your family download the applications from the FDNY website: www.nyc.gov/fdny or call the FDNY office of Recruitment and Diversity at (718) 999-FDNY.

The fee for the exam is $30.00 payable only by money order to D.C.A.S. (exams).

You can apply for the exam from August 7 - October 13, 2006. The exam will be given on January 20, 2007.

It is not necessary to be a NYC resident to take the FDNY exam, however, you must be a resident of NYC, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland or Orange counties at your time of appointment.

If you are still serving out your military time when the test is given, the D.C.A.S. will owe you an exam upon your return from service upon providing them with a copy of your DD214 document.

If you are interested, please do not hesitate as the filing deadline is October 13,2006.

God Bless and Thank You,

Jack Semich
FDNY retired,
Vietnam Veteran
SI Project Homefront Proudly Supports our Troops!
shcimes@aol.com

John Colon, FDNY; Engine 167
and SI Project Homefront Proudly Supports our Troops
JCLCPH@aol.com

Craig Chille, FDNY Ladder 87
L87chille@aol.com

Please let us know if you would like to be added to our contact list for SI Project Homefront
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

I imagine that the FDNY is a great department to work for, but the starting pay is somewhere in the area of 26,100$ (before taxes). I don't know how anyone can possibly afford to live in NYC or the surrounding locations and have any money left.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thursday wrote:I imagine that the FDNY is a great department to work for, but the starting pay is somewhere in the area of 26,100$ (before taxes). I don't know how anyone can possibly afford to live in NYC or the surrounding locations and have any money left.
I do believe you should keep your civilan opinions to yourself - this forum is after all for men that have served/are serving. You are a guest here and I take exception to you even posting in this forum.

Thank you for the informative post K.Ingraham.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Thursday wrote:I imagine that the FDNY is a great department to work for, but the starting pay is somewhere in the area of 26,100$ (before taxes). I don't know how anyone can possibly afford to live in NYC or the surrounding locations and have any money left.
This is probie pay. Make your bones and in a year, you're doing well.
Get a little seniority and before you know it, you're "rolling in green".
Blueshirt 1st grade FFers make more than some upstate chiefs.
Of course, it is the FDNY, unless you're out on SI or Atlantic Beach, you're gonna earn it.
But, that's part of the cut, like becoming a Ranger, you have to want to do the JOB, not collect a paycheck.
You just want a civil service paycheck? Join the Parks Dept.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Moved here by me. Since this is the second time posted (I know this was in the open vs closed/secured forums).

Obviously we have some meatheads who don't feel this is as good as it gets.

T
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I already posted it in here T (2-3 threads down), I was looking for max dissemination for the overall community.
Every vet who applies (Ranger or not) is one up on & likely a better potential candidate than any lunkhead civilian.

RS 9-76

Return to “Post Service Issues”