Ranger Coded Positions?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
christopherjshim
Embryo

Ranger Coded Positions?

Post by christopherjshim »

Rangers,

My name is Chris, a 23-year old college graduate, civilian, naturalized citizen and medical school applicant who aspires to serve our country as an Army Medical Officer. I have posted a longer introduction in the "DEP/Civilian Introduction" forum.

I have a question for the Ranger community about specialized (is that the term?) officers assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment -- eg, the battalion surgeon (I've heard some Rangers on this discussion board mention a "Doc Donovan" -- must be a hell of a man to be both a physician and a Ranger) -- and their eligibility for Ranger School.

According to http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER/ ... tation.htm,
an officer is only eligible for the privilege of even *attempting* to earn the honor "Ranger" if he is of the following MOS -- 11A, 12A, 13A, 14B, 18A and 21B.

However, according to the same webpage, "Those officers of any branch or specialty assigned to Ranger Coded Positions within the 75th Ranger Regiment or the Ranger Training Brigade may attend."

Does this mean:

A. You're a *great* doctor (since Rangers deserve the best) and you're one of those officers of "any branch or specialty assigned to Ranger Coded Positions within the 75th Ranger Regiment," but since you're untabbed the unit sends you off to Ranger School with its best wishes

or

B. You're already a tabbed-riflemen, but you get accepted to medical school, have the smarts and determination to graduate, and then branch-transfer to the medical corps, perhaps coming back to the Regiment as a Battalion Surgeon, without the need to go to Ranger School all over again (is this what Doctor Donovan did?)

or

C. The 75th Ranger Regiment has its chaplains, doctors, lawyers, etc "donated" from bigger units at Ft. Stewart, Lewis and Benning.

yours very respectfully,
Chris

P.S. I apologize if this is the wrong place (moderators, please move the thread appropriately), but I didn't think this thread would be better in the "medical issues" or "75th Ranger Regiment"-specific forums.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

FYI. You don't have to keep introducing yourself. We know who you are. 8) Good question though. I myself don't have an answer to. Have you tried the search feature at the top of the page. Give it a wing, it is a hell of a invention.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Instead of posting a plethora of hypotheticals, why don't you just spit it out:

I am this... Blah Blah Blah... I am wanting to do this... Blah Blah Blah.... later on, is it likely I will be able to go to Ranger School?
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Chris,
Your post is confusing. I'll give you a simple answer. The regulation was created in order to better focus that Ranger cadre on honing Ranger skills rather than teaching them. Direct fire combatants were receiving a lower level of training due to the fact that some guys were showing up to Ranger school without even know that PB stood for patrol base.

Additionally there is some unofficial speculation that the focus on these MOSs would put a bullet proof glass ceiling in front of any woman that might want to attend. So what it means is if you really want to be Ranger qualified and be a doctor then you need to finish medical school, receive a medical corps commission, apply and be accepted to serve in the Ranger Regiment.

I was an instructor when THE Regimental Surgeon went through school and he executed all tasks in Benning/Darby phase to standard (I made sure of it).

It's best spelled out like this. One day I was in the chow hall at FT Lewis and one of my soldiers said "Hey Sarn't that cook is a Ranger" I corrected him by saying "What you meant was that Ranger is a cook!"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”