Boot durability

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Boot durability

Post by Lost_Jock »

Hi Rangers and others,
I was wondering what you'd consider a reasonable length of time for a pair of boots to last.

I bought a pair very similar to the ICBs last August, and the soles are now looking very worn.

Would you expect to get more than a year's wear out of a pair of privately purchased boots, or am I just being a cheapskate?

Personally, I'd expected a bit more wear out of a 150 dollar pair of boots.
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: Boot durability

Post by Horned Toad »

Lost_Jock wrote:Hi Rangers and others,
I was wondering what you'd consider a reasonable length of time for a pair of boots to last.

I bought a pair very similar to the ICBs last August, and the soles are now looking very worn.

Would you expect to get more than a year's wear out of a pair of privately purchased boots, or am I just being a cheapskate?

Personally, I'd expected a bit more wear out of a 150 dollar pair of boots.
Scarpa Attacks, lasted 9 years
Scarpa Mantas, lasted 10 years
Whites cowboy packers, 5 years so far, resoled once
Some kind of Merrells that I wear at work 2.5 years and still going

I am pretty hard on boots, so they better last more than a year.

I thought the Lowa military line was supposed to be pretty decent, is there a reason you are not using them?
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Re: Boot durability

Post by Lost_Jock »

Horned Toad wrote: I am pretty hard on boots, so they better last more than a year.

I thought the Lowa military line was supposed to be pretty decent, is there a reason you are not using them?
I've heard the same about Lowas, but I haven't found anywhere within driving range who sells them, and I'd rather not buy boots without trying them first.

I have the Danish army's standard M58 boots on issue at present, but have yet to find a pair that fits me well (I've tried exchanging them two or three times).

We're due to get the new combat boots soon ( http://www.lebock.dk/default.asp?Produc ... oductID=66 ), so I'm hoping they're better.
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Teva sandals............3yrs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Ranger Luna wrote:Teva sandals............3yrs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
carpet aint that hard on your sandals now is it when your captain of the No Life Club
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Horned Toad wrote:
Ranger Luna wrote:Teva sandals............3yrs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
carpet aint that hard on your sandals now is it when your captain of the No Life Club
Who said I was Captain? Did I get a promotion? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

If you want the most authoritive opinions on boot wear, go someplace like the Pacific Crest Trail forum. The trail is 2700 miles long and almost nobody gets through the whole trail with one set of footwear. Most men, with a 35-45 lb pack, will be lucky to get 1200 miles out of even the toughest Scarpas or Asolos. I hiked a 900 mile section in a pair of Italian Akus, super nice leather hiking boots, that were junk when I was finished. Nearly everyone these days is going ultralight, wearing trail running shoes and carrying 18lb packs.

Drop an e-mail asking for boot opinions at the PCT forum. You'll learn more about boot longevity, boot brands, & boot opinions than you ever wanted to know.

http://www.pcta.org/general/forum.asp
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:Nearly everyone these days is going ultralight, wearing trail running shoes and carrying 18lb packs.
18lbs...that's only about 4 mortar rounds. I think the best place to discuss military equipment is on a military site with military people.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I think the best place to discuss military equipment is on a military site with military people.
Well Dan, you know what they say about opinions.

BTW If you check the man's post, you might discover that he's talking about "privately purchased boots", not issued boots.
Last edited by hobbit on August 20th, 2006, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Hey Dan,

Check out these ultralights on the ATS Tactical Gear link you yourself provided in another thread:

http://www.lightfighter.com/istar.asp?a ... pt%3DBOOTS
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

Desert Sloth wrote:Danner Acadias, resoled once, lasted 5 years thus far in some extreme environments.
I've got a pair of these Danner's....great boot. They've lasted here in the AZ desert well. I'm not sure if I'd wear them off-duty though.

I hike the canyon all the time with Merrell Phasers...they've taken the beating so far.

If all else fails...buy the Tevas. 8)
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

How about these?
They keep going and going and going and going.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Post by Lost_Jock »

EvilCouch wrote:How about these?
They keep going and going and going and going.
Ah, Duracell bunnies, now that's quality footwear!

I'll have to check uniform regulations, but they certainly look like they'd be comfortable.

Return to “Personal Gear”