Poison Ivy...Again

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Poison Ivy...Again

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Same place on my arm, same way, almost a year later.

This time, I went straight to the Doc's before it got out of control like last time.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Re: Poison Ivy...Again

Post by 23LRS »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Same place on my arm, same way, almost a year later.

This time, I went straight to the Doc's before it got out of control like last time.
I have gotten that shit SO many times! It used to swell my legs up so bad I had a hard time getting my BDU pants over them. I have to get Prednisone shots for it.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

I've always had a real bad alergic reaction to ivy and oak. The shots, and all. I found a product that actually removes the oils that spread the ivy so rapidly called "Tecnu Extreme Ivy Scrub" This stuff I found to be outstanding. You can use it as a pre-exposer lotion or if you have already contracted the rash you actually get to itch as you rub the lotion into the rash to penetrate the oils, then rinse with very cold water, and pat dry. You will see your rash already disapearing by the next day. The L.L.Bean catolog has a simular product that contains the same ingredients that does the same thing and works just as well.

http://www.tecnuextreme.com/
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

23LRS wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:Same place on my arm, same way, almost a year later.

I have gotten that shit SO many times! It used to swell my legs up so bad I had a hard time getting my BDU pants over them. I have to get Prednisone shots for it.
Prednisone is what I get also, but pills. It makes me sick like a fucking animal, but kills the shit quick.

Also, the Technu stuff works good if you apply it immediately after contact. Once the puss starts to ooze, it's too late for that...
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

ANGRYCivilian wrote: Also, the Technu stuff works good if you apply it immediately after contact. Once the puss starts to ooze, it's too late for that...

Same principal applies to VD.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

I never got poison ivy my whole life until I got stationed in Panama.
I got some crap there that would pop-up somewhere for a few days, disapear, then pop up somewhere else. used to drive me crazy, just small, blistered, itchy patches.
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

I’m extremely allergic myself. Every time I get it I end up in the Doctors office for a shot or pills. :x :lol:

Cremes don't work for me..but bleach does :twisted: :lol:
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
old13bm5
US Army Veteran

Post by old13bm5 »

Angry,

When I was about 10 my Grandfather came up with an interesting cure for me. He sprinkled the rash on my arm with comet, then scrubbed it off. It didn’t seem to help the rash much, however my eyesight improved. I can now spot poison oak/ivy up to a mile away!
:twisted:
www.fairtax.org
US Army 79-86
13b 79-83
72g 83-86
2nd ID 80-81
1st cav 81 -83
8th ID 83-86
Adam411
Embryo

Post by Adam411 »

I've had it so bad, I have had my eyes swell shut when I was a kid. But, I think I may have outgrown my reaction to it... I spend some time in the woods nowadays and don't seem to get it. Although, I keep a eye out for it!
"You don't drown by falling into water, you only drown if you stay there"
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

If you are gonna go out in the woods, and you know you are allergic to the urishiol oils that the plants have, the best thing you can do is use Tecnu Extreme or Tecnu to clean your exposed skin immediately afterwards so the oil doesn't bind to your skin. Use Tecnu to clean your gear. Urishiol oil is like a persistent nerve agent. You can contract the rash up to 5 years from a piece of gear that has it on it.

Anywhere from 85 to 97 percent of the population is allergic to the oils in these plants.

If you haven't tried our products for Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac, and you get yourself into it often, PM me your address and I'll see about having some samples sent to you.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
haz-mat
Ranger

Post by haz-mat »

I used to get it every now and then as a kid, until one day when I was out playing Tarzan in the woods swinging on the real big poison ivy vines. Since then not a trace.
"Here dead lie we, because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung..." --A. E. Housman

3/75 92-95; Charlie Rock
Ranger school class 9-93
Mr_Handsome
Ranger

Post by Mr_Handsome »

I've heard that if you drink the milk of a goat that has eaten poison oak/ivy that you will be immune or less susceptible to getting it.

Has anyone else heard this?
B Co 3/75
1996-1998

Return to “The Mosh Pit”