Prior Enlisted Officers: Help Wanted

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Prior Enlisted Officers: Help Wanted

Post by Soul Snatcher »

I'm going into my junior year of the green to gold program. I was in Batt for more than 5 years and I was wondering if anyone else has gotten commissioned and made some mistakes or successes they would wish to share with me. I'm unsure of the branch I want, I say want, but I mean branch I am going to shoot for. What is a great path to take for success, my current thoughts are, Medical PA, or an MI Officer. Some informative replies would be greatly appreciated. Infantry is still definitly an option so any branch feel free to chim in and tell me what you think is the best route.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00
Getting hosed down by the local Police.

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Do you plan on staying in the Military for your whole working life or as long as you can? Have you considered getting training for something you might want yto do after you get out? i.e. Medical. Maybe open up a practice after you get out or something like that? A trade that will give you something to do after you retire from the Army?
It's all good.
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

If I was MI, I would probly stay in a little while, then get out and get some kind of federal job in the same field. Of coarse as a PA I would get out and take a civilian job, its a pretty good job for choice of location, kind of like a nurse. The reason I am steering away from Inf is because when I get out ????? don't know. Will I go back in and be assembling my equipment on my flight to my 2yr combat deployment, probly.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

By the way Sky Shark, your avatar cracks me up. Ive seen a couple of those in my day.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00

Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

By the way Sky Shark, your avatar cracks me up. Ive seen a couple of those in my day.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00

B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

reedycsu, I'm just a dumbass who was an 11B and got out, did the ROTC thing, and then took my happy ass back onto AD. I've now got just shy of 29 years total service, 15 of it active.

Be a grunt, if you can stomache it anymore.

Failing that, go medical. Anything that will pay WELL after your do your final separation, and which hopefully has some nice PRO pay for while yer active again.

Good luck, and drive on, Ranger.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

29 years! Get some. I was probly really close to meeting you if you are in Tampa, my former sqd, and good friend was trying to hook me up with a job down their so I could take a break.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00

Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

There are a buttload of jobs in the AF and Navy that transfer very easily to life on the outside. Whether you stay in and retire or not.

One job in the Navy, that I had no clue exsisted, is a boiler tech on a boat. There are few squids that I have met, that make a good($) living on the outside in civie power plants. Some guys more than $100,000/yr.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

I can't handle the Navy, its just not my bag. I'm not into boats, at all. The AF would probly be cool, but I don't have a choice, I have to stay in Army ROTC. I work at a powerplant right now, and I can agree, these guys get treated very well. They only work 4 days a week, and make awesome money.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00

Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I couldn't handle being on a boat either. :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

I'm just finishing my 27th year and active duty. I picked AG branch with a 4 year detail to the Infantry. I caught a lot of shit for my choice at the time, and since, but fuck those motherfuckers, I'm the only one who has to live my life.

When picking a branch, think about this: whatever it is you choose, you're likely to be doing it for the next 15 years or more. While post-Army employment is a consideration, beating yourself in the head with a 2x4 by doing a job you don't enjoy for a decade or more may be a high price to pay.

Don't ask lieutenants about their branches, they don't know much more than you. Find some majors and lieutenant-colonels in the branches you're considering and ask them what they DON'T like about their branch, first, then what they DO like. Don't let anyone browbeat you, ridicule you, or entice you into a branch.

Again, regarding post-Army employment, the most important skills you take onto civvie street are leadership and self-discipline. One of my best friends makes 7 figures a year-he got out as an Infantry buck sergeant, got a dual major BA in Philosophy and Architecture at U of Maryland and a Masters in Design from Harvard. He's VP in charge of acquisitions for a major Boston financial firm.

Bottom line: do what it is you love to do, and you'll find a way to make it successful.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
Ranger5280
Ranger

Post by Ranger5280 »

Buddha wrote: Advance Camp is going to be difficult for you. I found it silly, unrealistic, and too soft.
Funny...that's what we thought of you in 3rd platoon.
"Measure twice, cut once"

C co. 1/75 '84-'87
9-85
BRC '86
CDQC
SERE-C

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”