Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

nocmatch
Embryo

Introduction

Post by nocmatch »

My name is Paul, I am 19 yrs old and want the tab and willing to hit the slab to get it. A little about me. I have been trying to join the Army for over a year. I went and took the asvab last year and scored an 87 overall and a 120 on the gt. Then they told me I couldn't join because I said yes to that, have you ever talked to a psychiatrist, question. Since then I have been delayed for having sought care for anger issues during highschool which had me on medication. I have been off the medication for 13 months and have gotten my final letter and I am going to MEPS at the end of the week. I have had a year to research and do my homework. I have looked into many options since I first decided to join. Now that I am eligible I've been getting overrun by other paths that I might want to look into and other contracts that would be better for my future in getting jobs later in life, and all that shit. I know I will get what I want but how, is what im struggling with. Should I get a contract with airborne and then go to RIP later or get option 40 11x. I have been told I can go non combat with airborne and still be able to go Ranger later. Is this true? such contracts are 92r parachute rigger. If anyone has info on that mos and what units they go to would be appreciated. I also have been told to go combat mos with non specified airborne then volinteer for Ranger. I Also have been told going for sf once I turn 20 then go to Ranger school would be better. Please tell me what MOS would set me up for a great airborne Ranger career with possiblities of sf and halo qual. I would greatly appreciate your knowlege and experience.

Thankyou very much and I salute, "if I were in the Army," the men that post here that have the elusive gold and black tab!

With much repect and gratitude
Paul
rangerrg_c75
LRRP/Ranger

Post by rangerrg_c75 »

You need to decide what you want in life. You mention jobs later in life and then talk about a Airborne Ranger career. Earning the Ranger Tab isn't the hardest thing you'll do. After you earn it every thing you do or say will be viewed by a higher standard than others. Ranger's can't have a "off" day. You have to be excellant every day. Every day is a test.
Having said that, in 200 words tell us whay you want to be one of us!
Served: 1st Plt C/75 1969-71
MACV Recondo Aug '69
RS 6-78
C Co 2/75th 78-81 B Co/HHC 7th RTB 91-93 (Retired)
Foozbat
Ranger

Post by Foozbat »

PM Inbound.

Welcome.
Bco 3/75 April 2007 - June 2011, April 2013 - October 2014
HHC 3/75 June 2011 - April 2013
PL, Aco 1-15 IN, 3rd BDE, 3rd ID
RS Class 05-10
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site. What you need to do is spend several days reading all the FAQ's, stickies and posts that have already answered 99% of your questions. Stick around here and we may be able to help you. Think a lot about what you want to say before posting again.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

If you want to be a Ranger then you will get an option 40 .....

anything else and you are wasting time.

Now read and learn ...use the damn search button.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

OK, only going to wade into the deeper waters (beyond "welcome") because you mentioned Rigger. First let me say all the preceeding words of wisdom are right on - you need to decide what you want to do with your life and if you want Ranger only an Option 40 will do! Anything else is a gamble at best and certainly a circuitous route to your goal. As for Rigger - I spent the lion's share of my Active Duty time as a Rigger (after I left Battalion). If you want to be a Ranger, this is not the path for you. If you decide you want to serve our country but not as a Ranger (all service is honorable in my opinion - but Rangering is where it's at), then you may enjoy being a Rigger. If you have specific questions about the Rigger field I would be willing to answer them, BUT I SAY AGAIN - if you want to be a Ranger then Rigger is not your path. BE SURE to follow Ranger rangerrg_c75's directive.

Oh, and it's BLACK and GOLD not gold and black!
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome.

The path to Ranger School in a non-Combat Arms MOS, from outside of Regiment is a long one - and damn near impossible, nowadays. You've got to be in the right place at the right time and you'd better be harder than woodpecker lips. And you've got to earn that reputation before a unit will spent the money on a slot.

The school is different from Regiment. Others will advise you on that part. But if earning the Black and Gold is your dream, Opt 40 is the most direct route, and the only one that is guaranteed.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

42L5V wrote:Welcome.

The path to Ranger School in a non-Combat Arms MOS, from outside of Regiment is a long one - and damn near impossible, nowadays. You've got to be in the right place at the right time and you'd better be harder than woodpecker lips. And you've got to earn that reputation before a unit will spent the money on a slot.

The school is different from Regiment. Others will advise you on that part. But if earning the Black and Gold is your dream, Opt 40 is the most direct route, and the only one that is guaranteed.

and it's only guaranteed to give you the oportunity, to possibly go, if you get into the Regtiment, stay in the Regiment long enough to prove yourself, and then get slotted for Ranger School. then, you have to earn the tab at school.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
rum_snuggles

Post by rum_snuggles »

Welcome!
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Welcome
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
nocmatch
Embryo

Post by nocmatch »

Thankyou for posting. I knew all of you would say option 40 is the way to go because you're all warriors. All other paths to Ranger is slim at best, I know that. Although I wish I were a bit older and had better vision, I still believe waiting will not make it any easier. I know I can make it through rip. Yes, I had anger issues but for reasons you may never know. I went through my own hell and now I am stronger because of it. I dont believe I will be posting here agian any time soon I'm joing and seeing what happens. I will touch back in about a 6 months to a year. Thankyou all, there is nothing more to be said.
rangerrg_c75
LRRP/Ranger

Post by rangerrg_c75 »

No Go on following instructions. Goodbye and good riddance!
Served: 1st Plt C/75 1969-71
MACV Recondo Aug '69
RS 6-78
C Co 2/75th 78-81 B Co/HHC 7th RTB 91-93 (Retired)
Lazy P
Ranger

Post by Lazy P »

You forgot to reply to the 1SG FNG :shock:
rangerrg_c75 wrote:You need to decide what you want in life. You mention jobs later in life and then talk about a Airborne Ranger career. Earning the Ranger Tab isn't the hardest thing you'll do. After you earn it every thing you do or say will be viewed by a higher standard than others. Ranger's can't have a "off" day. You have to be excellant every day. Every day is a test.
Having said that, in 200 words tell us whay you want to be one of us!
You may get away with blowing off your Tabbed Spec 4 with a mere evening of games, but I doubt it would be so pretty with blowing off the 1SG.

Fix it you!
Bco 2/75 RGR, 1st Plt 4/96-10/98
HHC 2/75 RGR, BN Sniper Plt 10/98-12/00
RGR School Class 5-98--Recycle fog....

Ranger Buddy Tappen, you out there?
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

nocmatch wrote:I know I can make it through rip.
Don't be so sure of yourself, others have thought the same thing and either quit or failed.

Confidence is one thing, cockiness or arrogance is another.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “Introduction Archive”