DEPs: "Sucking" Chest Wound

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

I would offer up an answer, but I'm not a DEP.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

I'd use my snicker's wrapper and my gummy worms to hold it in place! :D
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Amazing! With all the DEPs on this site who have 18X contracts, or who have decided to become Medics....not a single response. Even more amazing is the fact that you DEPs apparently think this question simply appied to Medics. WRONG! Your Medic might not be sitting next to you when this scenario takes place. This is a relatively easy injury to give emergency treatment for, and yet if it isn't done, your buddy will die. Wake the fuck up, DEPs. If you want to continue trolling this site, and are even remotely serious about being the best you can be, start sounding off when you're called on. This shit is for your benefit, not ours.

Doc, thanks for offering your wisdom. Sorry these chumps didn't want to learn anything.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

One 30 second google returns over 500,000 hits for a sucking chest wound. You punk bitches are a bunch of chicken shits, and your lethargic attitude and your hesitation just cost your buddy his life. Good job, you bunch of meat socks. Now, you get to tellhis mother how great of a guy he was, how brave he was, and how noble his death was, when in reality, he could very easliy have survived if one of you, JUST ONE OF YOU, had any sack at all.

You fucktards better start stepping up or I'll make a motion to ban your asses one and a fucking time. If you don't take advantage of this stuff and learn, then you have no business being in our fucking house.

Put out or get out. It's that simple.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

EarthPig wrote:Amazing! With all the DEPs on this site who have 18X contracts, or who have decided to become Medics....not a single response. Even more amazing is the fact that you DEPs apparently think this question simply appied to Medics. WRONG! Your Medic might not be sitting next to you when this scenario takes place. This is a relatively easy injury to give emergency treatment for, and yet if it isn't done, your buddy will die. Wake the fuck up, DEPs. If you want to continue trolling this site, and are even remotely serious about being the best you can be, start sounding off when you're called on. This shit is for your benefit, not ours.

Doc, thanks for offering your wisdom. Sorry these chumps didn't want to learn anything.

RLTW

EP
Or if it is the medic who has been wounded
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I would've used a damn tampon to plug the hole and let him breath with the good lung.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Foozbat
Ranger

Post by Foozbat »

Pushing for not noticing this thread until today.
Bco 3/75 April 2007 - June 2011, April 2013 - October 2014
HHC 3/75 June 2011 - April 2013
PL, Aco 1-15 IN, 3rd BDE, 3rd ID
RS Class 05-10
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

You DEPs are fuckin' WEAK. Grab your nuts and post your best guess. It doesn't have to be perfect but at least TRY to answer the fucking question. This shit DOES happen in combat with 7.62 flying all over the place and aimed, believe it or not, at your center mass. I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up to multiple pages by now. This a serious issue that could help you save a life.

A collapsed lung is just about the most agonizing and gut-wrenching injury you can encounter. It's also one of the most common, given that you're not the only one aiming at center mass- the enemy is too. Imagine what it feels like if your breathing slowly stopped "working." Over the course of a few seconds or minutes, your breaths become shallower as your chest fills with air and frothy, bubbly blood from the wound you've just sustained. Your chest feels tight but you're not getting any air in. You start to panick and breathe harder, only exacerbating the pressure imbalance.

Do you want to sit around and wait for the medic while your buddy is suffering like that and looking up at you with wide eyes concealing justifiable panic? Being a Ranger isn't just about killing. It's about being ruthlessly effective in solving problems. Getting shot is a serious problem, and you're worthless as a Ranger if you can't care for your buddy when he's in the most dire need.

Doc, PM inbound regarding our previous conversation about "burping the wound".
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Foozbat
Ranger

Post by Foozbat »

First I would remove all clothing from the area and try to clean up as much blood as possible from the skin. I would then cut a patch from any kind of non-permeable material such as poncho, bandage wrapper, or MRE wrapper. This patch needs to be at least 2 inches larger than the wound in both dimensions to prevent it from being pulled into the wound. I then use 100MPH tape to tape this patch over the wound, leaving one side untaped. This will allow air to exit the chest cavity. When the wounded man inhales, the patch sticks to the skin preventing air from re-entering the cavity.

If no tape is available, a battle dressing or cut up uniform could be used to secure the patch in place.

A battle dressing should be placed over the patch, but not too tight, as you want to allow air to escape from under the patch.
Bco 3/75 April 2007 - June 2011, April 2013 - October 2014
HHC 3/75 June 2011 - April 2013
PL, Aco 1-15 IN, 3rd BDE, 3rd ID
RS Class 05-10
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Good job, Foozbat. According to a Paramedic I spoke to, you should apply the dressing when your patient has exhaled completely- this minimizes the pressure imbalance that threatens to suffocate him.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Goddammit Doc!! Where's my thesaurous? :x Wait a minute, isn't a thesauruos from the cretacious period?

Fucking medical terminology. :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “Medical Issues”