Some questions about Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Some questions about Ranger School

Post by jentoe_22 »

My husband recently left for Ranger School this past Sunday. I spoke to him when he arrived at Benning, but he said he did not know when he would be able to contact me again. I have looked at the Ranger website to get the addresses to write him and I see that I need his class date and his company. How long before I will be able to hear from him to get his company info? He began his classes this past Monday. June 5, 2006. I am also a little confused about Graduation. I would like to attend his and when I look at the dates on this website https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER/GRAD.HTM
it says July 21, 2006 next to the August 06 class date. I am just a little confused. I thought he would be graduating around the 4th or 5th of August. I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Your Husband is most likely in Class 08-06, The number 08 represents the number of classes taught within the fiscal year not the month as you assumed. Thus 08-06 is the eight class in fiscal year 2006. The dates are a guideline and rest assured you will know a definate time and date prior to his Graduation. Your Husband may recycle and be pushed further down to the end of August (let's hope this doesn't happen, but there's always a good chance). He won't have any restrictions on writing letters and you will probably get a letter today or in the near future with him giving you his address. Be patient, You'll hear from him soon enough. I hope that answers your questions; if not, keep posting or use the search button and the answer will be revealed.
Last edited by wellfed on June 7th, 2006, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi, The actual page for class dates is down at the momentbut if he is in class08 then he will grad in July. My son is in class 07 and grad june30th. He is just finishing up mountain pases this week. Letters can be sent at anytime and your husband will recieve them, packages are held back and will be given at the end of phases. Ever so often they are given a few hours off to buy supplies they need, to get haircut and to just unwind for a few hours. Recycling is a big possibiblity so his grad date might change or he could evintually just be sent baqck to his unit. Does your husband serve in Ranger Bn or is he at Ranger School just to be Ranger certified and then return to his unit? My son says that Delonga, Georgi where mountain phase is helsa is beautiful but loaded with snakes. Also he says here they get 3 meals a day plus 4 hours sleep a night so he says he can't complain. goodluck to your husband
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Post by jentoe_22 »

My
Last edited by jentoe_22 on August 13th, 2013, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi, Yes, 62 days of hellm it is called. My son is finishing up week 6 with 3 weeks to go and his class date is 07-06 with grad june 30th. In the last 6 weeks if they have not started another class (which is hard for me to believe in that length of time that they had not )then your husbands class would be 08-06. The page that shows all class dates and grad. is not available at this time.
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Post by jentoe_22 »

I have some bad news. I heard from him and he has been recycled. His shoulder separated during the swim test. I am pretty upset about the news. I just want him to do the best he can. I know he will. I just have to have him gone for an additional three weeks now. I guess it is on to waiting until he starts back the 25th to find more info. Thanks all.
jen
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

wellfed wrote: Your Husband may recycle and be pushed further down to the end of August (let's hope this doesn't happen, but there's always a good chance).
I gotta start playing the Lottery! Sorry to hear about your Husband's misfortune at least he's only gone for an extra 3 weeks and not in the sandbox for an extra 3 months after a year of being deployed.

RS 1-86
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

jentoe_22 wrote:I have some bad news. I heard from him and he has been recycled. His shoulder separated during the swim test. I am pretty upset about the news. I just want him to do the best he can. I know he will. I just have to have him gone for an additional three weeks now. I guess it is on to waiting until he starts back the 25th to find more info. Thanks all.
jen
There is a 50% chance, all day, every day, to recycle or get dropped!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Post by jentoe_22 »

I am happy to say that Tony started back with class 09-06 this morning. I went to Ft. Benning to see him for his three day re-fit and he seemed like his shoulder is doing alright. I am hoping not to hear from him for the next few days. I am told that means he is getting through okay. I do have a question to address. He said he had not recieved all of the letters I had sent him. He also said he did not know if he would get them during phases. Should I continue to write even though he may not get them, or wait until phases are close to completion until I write. I would appreciate the help. Thanks again Rangers.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

jentoe_22 wrote:I am happy to say that Tony started back with class 09-06 this morning. I went to Ft. Benning to see him for his three day re-fit and he seemed like his shoulder is doing alright. I am hoping not to hear from him for the next few days. I am told that means he is getting through okay. I do have a question to address. He said he had not recieved all of the letters I had sent him. He also said he did not know if he would get them during phases. Should I continue to write even though he may not get them, or wait until phases are close to completion until I write. I would appreciate the help. Thanks again Rangers.
The missing mail might have been sent forward with the previous class or on it's way back to his present class or back to you. Each phase keeps a roster of current students and if the student is on that roster, they give it to him. If he's not on the list they send it back to sender or to the previous class (if he's a recycle). Under no circumstances is mail held, throw away or rejected. The only exception is packages and they are held until the end on each phase and then they're given to the student upon completion of the phase (someone crrect me if I'm incorrect).

RS 1-86
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Post by jentoe_22 »

Just wanting to update on my husbands situation. He just restarted Ranger School after being med-dropped for a shoulder injury. He is with class 10-06 now and hopefully will make it all the way through. I did end up getting one of the letters returned to me. I am still waiting to see what happens with the other one. Who knows, he may get it while there this time. I will try to update as to his status as soon as I know myself. It has only been three days, and no word, I am hoping that is a good thing.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

jentoe_22 wrote:It has only been three days, and no word, I am hoping that is a good thing.
...thats what it usually means
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

Phone calls are bad unless they only come every two weeks.

A largely incoherent letter written on "rite in the rain" notepad paper with trailing scrawls from where he fell asleep mid-word and requests for shit in a TA-50 marked box are great.
RS Class 06-06
jentoe_22
Tadpole

Sitrep on My Husband

Post by jentoe_22 »

I heard from my husband today. He got a go for the Darby phase. He said he made it through with no problems. He also said he may be able to call back later tonight. I am very thankful he made it through the first phase with no injuries this time. :D He also said, not to be afraid to send care packages. Does anyone have any pointers on what to send him for his package after Mountain Phase? Thanks so much. I will post another update as soon as I hear from him. Thanks Rangers.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Sitrep on My Husband

Post by rgrpuck »

jentoe_22 wrote:I heard from my husband today. He got a go for the Darby phase. He said he made it through with no problems. He also said he may be able to call back later tonight. I am very thankful he made it through the first phase with no injuries this time. :D He also said, not to be afraid to send care packages. Does anyone have any pointers on what to send him for his package after Mountain Phase? Thanks so much. I will post another update as soon as I hear from him. Thanks Rangers.
An entire jar of creamy JIF peanut butter ...and a spoon.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”