Thoughts from Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Grumble and Grunt wrote:My challenge in growing as a leader is in being a good follower. I am a little behind the power curve and need to figure it out. This was the gist of my intial post and I am sorry there has been a misunderstanding. Humility is not a strong suit either, that I will also commit myself to learning.

Havent deployed yet have ya sir?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

No not yet SGM. Soon...
RS Class 06-06
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Grumble and Grunt wrote:No not yet SGM. Soon...
Soon...I can almost here the excitement in your voice. I just have one thing to say, looking at one of your men while he is getting squirrly on a stretcher will do a good bit for your humility. Having a seriously wounded soldier cry in front of you, because his wounds are serious enough to warrant MEDEVAC to Germany...that's a humbling experience. The good news is you have exactly the right mentality for a Lieutenant!
Last edited by Silverback on June 19th, 2006, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Silverback wrote:
Grumble and Grunt wrote:No not yet SGM. Soon...
Soon...I can almost here the excitement in your voice. I just have one thing to say, looking at one of your men while he is getting squirrly on a stretcher will do a good bit for your humility. Having a seriously wounded soldier cry in front of you, because his wounds are serious enough to warrant MEDEVAC to Germany...that's a humbling experience. The good news is you have exactly the right mentality for a Lieutenant!
And there you have it! That's true enlightment to reality and will test your personal humility to the core. If and when you do expierence it, it'll change your perspective of everything you know to that point for the rest of your life. Sorry SB I didn't mean to step on your quote.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

We went to JOTC in Aug of '88, we got back late on Saturday and I started Pre-Ranger on Monday, and straight to School from there.
:shock:

Damn, buddy's only half the word....that truly sucks!

But you got your shit! 8)
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Invictus wrote:
We went to JOTC in Aug of '88, we got back late on Saturday and I started Pre-Ranger on Monday, and straight to School from there.
:shock:

Damn, buddy's only half the word....that truly sucks!

But you got your shit! 8)
I got my ass smoked every time I turned around in JOTC. Almost everyone that was sent to School back then was either a p/u retest or a no-go and they wanted to make sure I didn't get hammered on them. So every time I turned around it was 52+1 with an NCO grading them. :shock:

I was a 1st time go on the PT test though. :D
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

AbnRgr289 wrote: I was a 1st time go on the PT test though. :D
what Batt boy wasn't?! (that was mostly sarcastic)

I liked my graduation present better than your pre-pre-Ranger though. five minutes to talk to the wife, grandparents, and kid, then, "dude we gotta go. the zero range closes in 15 minutes, we got a final rehearsal tonight on Friar, we leave in the morning for the ISB, and Bn is already locked down, so get in the truck."

two days after graduation, I was putting on a chute to jump into Haiti. PFC(P) KW Driver was saying (quietly, where no one could hear), rucka-sacka too heavy, me noooo liky. but a mustard stain'll be worth it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

KW Driver wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote: I was a 1st time go on the PT test though. :D
what Batt boy wasn't?! (that was mostly sarcastic)

I liked my graduation present better than your pre-pre-Ranger though. five minutes to talk to the wife, grandparents, and kid, then, "dude we gotta go. the zero range closes in 15 minutes, we got a final rehearsal tonight on Friar, we leave in the morning for the ISB, and Bn is already locked down, so get in the truck."

two days after graduation, I was putting on a chute to jump into Haiti. PFC(P) KW Driver was saying (quietly, where no one could hear), rucka-sacka too heavy, me noooo liky. but a mustard stain'll be worth it.
That would suck.

I enjoyed leave after School, I graduated right during Xmas exodus. :D

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

the upside was I didn't get fat. I just ate fruit and healthy shit in the ISB for the week we sat there. it wasn't til about that Tuesday we played a game of PLT tabbed/non-tabbed football and the slowest, weakest private was tossing my ass all over the place, that I realized how truly fucked up I really was.

and the guys from the other Batts were all kinds of pissed because they had no way of catching up to their Batts for the show.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

KW Driver wrote:and the guys from the other Batts were all kinds of pissed because they had no way of catching up to their Batts for the show.
That is a good thing about being at 3rd, your already at home. :D

You would think that they could catch a hopp with Regt though. We had a couple of guy's do it during Panama when they had a brake for exodus.

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
KW Driver wrote:and the guys from the other Batts were all kinds of pissed because they had no way of catching up to their Batts for the show.

You would think that they could catch a hopp with Regt though. We had a couple of guy's do it during Panama when they had a brake for exodus.

I remember seeing all the guys lined up for manifest call so they could go back so they wouldnt be missed at Ranger school after leave.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

rgrpuck wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

I remember seeing all the guys lined up for manifest call so they could go back so they wouldnt be missed at Ranger school after leave.
One of my guy's was in that group along with the PSG. The PSG went on exodus from ANCOC and just happened to stop in the barracks Tuesday night after we got alerted to see how things were going, so we ended up taking him for 4 days. They weren't going to call anyone out of any school's, it was just by chance he showed up. O'well, I ended up having to babysit him thats all! :roll:

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”