Mixed Feelings

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
proud dad
Tadpole

Mixed Feelings

Post by proud dad »

I recieved a letter from my son yesterday, which is rare as he doesn't write much. He said he is going to extend his contract so he will be able to attend the Ranger School for the chance to earn the tab.
As some of you here may recall from an earlier post of mine that he had enlisted with a three year contract back in Sept 01. He attended OSUT, BAC and RIP and was attached to the 3rd Batt, where he has been now for over two years and was due out this Sept. Due to being really busy he was not able to attend the school while still having a year left on his contract, so he has extended his tour to have the chance to earn the tab. I have alot of mixed feelings on this as I am so proud of him and at the same time I wish he would come home. I would be glad for him to stay home and kick back a year or so doing what he wanted to do as long as he footed his own bills. I would have my hunting/camping partner back. Damn tab.
But I cannot express enough my respect, admiration and pride for him and what he has done. Its bittersweet.
We must have had a hell of a milkman some 21 years ago to have such a son.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

In a way, as a Ranger who serves in the Regiment, graduating Ranger School is a sort of 'validation' that you have what it takes to lead others, even though you do that in practice in the Regiment all the time. He needs to do this, for himself and I know you'll be even more proud of him as a result.

Rangers take such great care for their fellow Rangers, I think your son is actually probably in a pretty safe place, despite the unknowns in our world at this time and the likelihood of his deploying to the ME again before he gets out.

How long did he have to extend for? What is his total time remaining?.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Proud Dad-

It's great that you have the opportunity to see your son accomplish these great things. My father passed away a year before I enlisted. I know he was there with me each day, but I sure wish he could have been around to share stories with when I was done.
I did my entire enlistment in the Rangers and also never got the opportunity to go to get my tab. I suppose I could have reenlisted for the school, but i didn't. Now I regret it EVERY day. Spartan put it in perspective for me...I never validated my Ranger status to MYSELF. I come to these boards because I'm proud of my accomplishments, and I miss the comradrie - but I don't feel like I belong.
Encourage and support your son - and be vocal about it - there is no better motivation for a young man than the pride of his father. It is the best thing you could do for him right now.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Mixed Feelings

Post by Steadfast »

proud dad wrote:I recieved a letter from my son yesterday, which is rare as he doesn't write much. He said he is going to extend his contract so he will be able to attend the Ranger School for the chance to earn the tab.
As some of you here may recall from an earlier post of mine that he had enlisted with a three year contract back in Sept 01. He attended OSUT, BAC and RIP and was attached to the 3rd Batt, where he has been now for over two years and was due out this Sept. Due to being really busy he was not able to attend the school while still having a year left on his contract, so he has extended his tour to have the chance to earn the tab. I have alot of mixed feelings on this as I am so proud of him and at the same time I wish he would come home. I would be glad for him to stay home and kick back a year or so doing what he wanted to do as long as he footed his own bills. I would have my hunting/camping partner back. Damn tab.
But I cannot express enough my respect, admiration and pride for him and what he has done. Its bittersweet.
We must have had a hell of a milkman some 21 years ago to have such a son.

Well proud dad, I was your milk man 21 years ago and when I reproached your fine wife, she told told me she has a fine upstanding husband. She also elaborated she wanted no other man than her husband who was now going to be a daddy as she confided in me she was pregnant. I quit the milk business and became a mailman somewhere else. So all in all proud dad, U DA MAN! Congratz :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
HOOAHMOM5
Egg

Post by HOOAHMOM5 »

[b]Proud Dad..... Congratulations to your son... I sure am proud of him and all the Rangers... weather they get their tab or not !
My son is now going off to Ranger school on Sun. ( glad I took the advice of all the Rangers here and didnt do a thing about a gift for graduation because he was delayed for a month)
wonder if our sons are in the same class???
Keep us posted :D
Hooahmom5 :wink: [/b]
Bell

Post by Bell »

Proud Dad....That's what it says. Proud Dad.

Stop being selfish. Your son has to do this for himself. He's a warrior now. Not your little boy. He's trained to kill the enemies of our country and in doing so, protect our rights to live the way we do.

You said it yourself. He's your partner. Your pal. He's his own man. Support him all the way and then some. He's doing a good thing. That tab will be his pride and joy until the day he dies. He'll never be complete without it.

You tell that Ranger son of yours that we ALL are proud of him. He's our hero and he's got quite a cheering section going for him over here at armyranger.com.

He owes us some stories.

RLTW
Bell
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Bell wrote:
You tell that Ranger son of yours that we ALL are proud of him. He's our hero and he's got quite a cheering section going for him over here at armyranger.com.

He owes us some stories.

RLTW
Bell
DITTO
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Proud dad,

My parents were worried for me when I became a Ranger, and even more, when I went to Panama in 89.

One thing you need to think about, Is not to cause your son, extra, undo stress.

I have 2 boys, 14 and 4. Would I like them to be a Ranger? Yes and no.

The reason for yes is that I would love for them to follow in my footsteps.

The reason for no is that I know that there would be the possibility of losing one, if he chose to serve.

Tell him you miss him and to be safe. Tell him that you can't wait to see him.

Don't let your fear of him getting hurt, or worse, affect the job that he has chosen to do.

Support, support, support..........................

I am also very proud of him, and all of the men and women, that are serving in this war on terror.

Your son is helping to lead the way!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

One more thing: The experiences your son are having right now are changing him into the MAN that he will be for the rest of his life. I don't think there is a Ranger on this board who will disagree with me. My father gave me the building blocks that I needed, but the Rangers who taught me, and the values instilled in me by life in the Regiment, are what shaped those building blocks into who I am today. I still live everyday by the creed....and he will too. Have you read it? It will give you an idea of what kind of man he has turned into.
I have not met any of the members of this board, but they are all my brothers. They could show up unannounced at any time and be welcome in my home. If they ever needed help, I would give it to them. Don't worry about your son...he is in good hands.
You should be proud to have raised a son strong enough to make it where less than 10% of the people who try, succeed. And where even less than that bother to try. And you WILL be proud of what his experiences have done for him.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I tell you what, I read all sorts of news that I subscribe to and of those concerning casualties from Iraq, probably half of them say 'had plans to become an Army Ranger', etc.... These are guys who serve in other units in the US Army, other than the Ranger Regiment.

And even in death, those around them have the need to put that statement in an article which is either an obituary or an article that summarizes the person's life. I find it kind of wierd that there is this need to connect themselves with something great - being a Ranger - something they were NOT - to try and show that they were worthy somehow as a person.

I would find it insulting, if I was not a Ranger School Graduate that someone who knew me would feel the need to make my life bigger than it was, by including what I had the potential to have accomplished, instead of what I had. Just put down that I was a good son, a good husband or father or something like that.

This snippet was even about a guy who was leaving the service, coming home and going to school:
And although Wilson believed Massey had what it takes to become an Army Ranger, Massey does not foresee extending his Army service beyond March 2005. He has an associate's degree in food and beverage management from Johnson & Wales University, and he plans to earn a bachelor's degree during his wife's final year of military service.
Who cares if he 'had what it takes'? In the end the question is 'Did he'? Why on earth would any writer put something like that in an article - to suggest that he has some imaginary connection to being something he never was?

I guess in the end, those around us, who know/knew us when we served and make/made plans to attend Ranger School, that it is important to us. It was probably all we talked about for some time. And for those around us, it could have made such an impact that it is what they remembered most about us, at that time.

Sorry, I digress....
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Proud Dad. It honored me to see your post. Everything said by my fellow Rangers....true. I have to tell you. My parents didnt even know I went to Ranger School much less a Ranger Battalion. Didnt know what I went through, didnt really know anything about the Rangers. I wish they had, I wish they cared enough to ask. But you, Sir...did your homework and you know your son chose an honorable and honored profession. My hats off to both of you.
My fishing and hunting podna is 13 right now...I can't imagine life without him but if he chose to be a soldier, a Ranger....Id miss him but I sure would be proud.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

proud dad, yes isn't it grand! you son is leading the way and he has picked a goal that will require him to show how serious he is to attain that goal. He is enlisting for more time to achieve that level to vault him above what most men try but aren't eligilbe to do. You have picked your name here well old man, proud dad speaks loads to me and all here. You son will always be your son but he has grown and his is now a man, a fine young man too. proud dad I am sorry to inform you but we all here are his brothers and we just might drop in on yer and stay for dinner now. Yer son has many brothers now. Thank your son for me for his service to our country. Thanks for sharing proud dad!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

You wouldn't be human if you didn't have mixed feelings. Not a direct comparison as your son is working in a dangerous buisness, but we all have mixed feeling about the choices our children make and will make in their lives. Be it education, relationships or what ever. You happen to be the father of a young man who (for now maybe) has made a very personal and well thought out decision in regards to the next year or so in his life. I know from your old posts that you will support him and your posts show all of us how proud you are of your son, I am proud of him and I have never met the man. Your his Dad you better have mixed feelings, but the one feeling you have that isn't mixed is how proud you are of him.

VRSCA, some of the best Rangers I ever met did't get a Ranger Tab. Eight weeks of RS was tough. 30 months in the battalion was well, you know.You didn't get a Tab! Bullshit!! By default, in my eyes, anyone who did their time in any of the Battalions has got a tab and is a Ranger. Maybe not on your class A's but where it really counts..... inside! I'd be proud to fight with YA! :wink:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”