Extensive bruising after broken bone

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Re: ,

Post by Ardent Lady »

Chiron wrote: First off: Get well soon.

Now from reading this thread I see that you had a problem delegating authority. The boy should have climbed the ladder. The Lady should have supervised.
Thanks, Ranger Chiron, I'll get there and be up and running again, if all goes well.

Good observation; in addition to delegation, I should have taken the time to teach the son how to use a chain saw. He's never used one before, so it seemed better to let that be my job since I have. I hadn't thought of it as a moment to pass on a skill or given any thought to delegating the tasks better. It was a question of expedience, and I took the "easy" way. Interesting lesson learned there.

Ranger Tater Nuts, after seeing what I can do with a ladder and a chain saw, are you sure you want me to even think of using DET cord? :shock: :D
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

What better time for your son to learn how to use a chain saw ? On a ladder, under the power lines......The only thing you were missing was a mud puddle to set up the ladder in. Was your son there to just hold your beer ? :wink:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
AmyDoll

Post by AmyDoll »

Try this it works wonders and is available at most Health Stores it is an herb/salve called Arnica or more commonly known as Leopard's bane. Here is an useful site http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/arnic058.html
Also I would add one more step to RICE
P-protection
R-rest
I- Ice
C- I am omitting compression b/c of the broken bone issue in my training it is contraindicated.
E-Elevation
Hope this helps Heal well :D
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

rgrpuck wrote:What better time for your son to learn how to use a chain saw ? On a ladder, under the power lines......The only thing you were missing was a mud puddle to set up the ladder in. Was your son there to just hold your beer ? :wink:
Ranger RgrPuck, 120 lb. 18 year olds on parental college life/funds support make excellent pack mules, useful for hauling branches. ;) I cut 'em, he hauled them to the road.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
last.tango
Sister

Post by last.tango »

I agree with 66G_RN about clearing EVERYTHING with your ortho and PT first, esp. so soon post surgery.

That ultrasound article was interesting (thanks 66G). The ultrasound treatments done on my back felt super, but whether they helped heal the fractures faster or not I don't know, there was reduction of pain and improved function following treatments.
And as Med First Responder Thurday and AmyDoll said: (P)RICE.

The lymphatic system (part of the circulatory system) does not have a pump (like the heart) and relies on breathing movements (which cause a pressure gradient) and skeletal muscle contractions and one-way valves to move fluid along and upward. Elevation, (non-weight bearing) exercise and massage may assist with lymph drainage. Most of the interstitial water, proteins and fluids transported back into the bloodstream is via the lymph system.

OTC Homeopathics: while homeopathics are considered safe and can generally be used concurently with prescription meds, please check with your doctors first.
Arnica: oral and topical (do not apply topical to broken skin, may cause irritation)-indicated for all trauma, sprain, strain, bruise, fracture, post surgery, etc. (the homeopathic preparation, not the whole herb or tincture product.)
Ruta graveolens: oral-esp. good following arnica after trauma and indicated for bruising of periosteum and fractures.
Symphytum: oral-indicated for fractures.

Bromelain (a proteolytic enzyme found in pineapple) has anti-inflammatory and anti-edemic properties. It is reputed to accelerate healing of severely bruised tissues. However, since it also has anti-platelet aggregation properties, caution is advised if you are taking any medications which thin the blood, incl. aspirin. Again, please check with your doctor. I had some difficulty finding a uniformly recommended dose (Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch & Balch; suggests 200-400mg 3x/day), and also, just how much is found in the pineapple fruit itself, which seems to vary between fruit, ripeness, etc. Fresh pineapple contains 2-3x more bromelain than canned or cooked.

Continued best wishes for a very speedy recovery AL!!

Return to “Medical Issues”