Last Surviving Son

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
kclemens
Tadpole

Last Surviving Son

Post by kclemens »

I searched and found nothing on this board about this subject.

When I was 2 my dad was murdered. My question is, beings he died, and my mom only has 1 son, does she have to sign for me to join the Armed Forces, even when I am over 18?
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear because I am the meanest motherfucker in the whole valley."
-GEN. George S. Patton
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

No! Anymore questions. if your mother is your sole guardian and hasn't remarried with your step father adopting you..she can sign. The recruiter will get a copy of the death certificate at the court house and write a supporting statement on your enlistment contract and your GTG. If your 18, it doesn't matter!
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Skater! WTF, What happen to your post! Sole surviving son only applies to the draft.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

I was the only child. If I remember correctly there was an extra form I had to fill out but that was it. I was over 18 though.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I am the last male in my family as well. I don't remember signing any extra paperwork when I joined. However I did have to sign something extra when I sighed up for the Selective Service when I turned 18.
It's all good.
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

Provisions regarding the survivors of veterans were written into Selective Service law after World War II. Details have varied over the years, but the basic premise remains the same; where a family member has been lost as a result of military service, the remaining family members should be protected insofar as possible. Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register and they can be drafted.

However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family. The surviving son or brother provision is applicable only in peacetime. It does not apply in time of war or national emergency declared by the Congress.

Source: http://www.sss.gov/FSsurviv.htm
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

LastHardSapper wrote:All this came about due to the "Fighting Sullivans". All five brothers (sailors) were killed in the same battle during WWII.
Back in 19 April 1997 I attended the Commissioning of the USS Sullivans which had one of the grandchildren from the brother Albert. As it left Homeport in Staten Island with a big Irish Shamrock (not visible here)

http://www.sullivans.navy.mil/
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
kclemens
Tadpole

Post by kclemens »

Thanks for the clarification Airborne Alpha Sharks.
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear because I am the meanest motherfucker in the whole valley."
-GEN. George S. Patton
245thPsyoper
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by 245thPsyoper »

[quote]Back in 19 April 1997 I attended the Commissioning of the USS Sullivans which had one of the grandchildren from the brother Albert. As it left Homeport in Staten Island with a big Irish Shamrock.

Most Hooah!

"from the ferocious O Flaherty's, O'Lord deliver us"
245th PSYOP Co (ABN), Dallas TX
& several CA units; Korea, Bosnia,
yada, yada, yada

"The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure your fucked. "

"I told you guys we should have never shot Lt. Niedermeyer"

"Send lawyers, guns, and ,money"

Return to “Recruitment Process”