New super-gun to be tested in Feb

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Silverback
Ranger

New super-gun to be tested in Feb

Post by Silverback »

WASHINGTON, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- Next month a new high-explosive munition will be fired in Singapore and then tested again by the U.S. Army, heralding what may be a sea change in weaponry: a gun that can fire 240,000 rounds per minute.

That's compared to 60 rounds per minute in a standard military machine gun.

Metal Storm Inc., a munitions company headquartered in Virginia but with its roots in Australia, has been developing a gun that can shoot at blistering speeds, albeit in short bursts as each barrel is reloaded.

A Metal Storm gun of any size -- from a 9 mm hand-gun up to a machine gun size or a grenade launcher -- has no moving parts other than the bullets or munition inside the barrel. Rather than chambering a single slug for each shot - very quickly in the case of machine guns -- the bullets come pre-stacked inside the barrel and can be shot all at once, or one at a time, as the shooter decides through the electronic controls.

Because there are no moving parts, the weapon is less likely to jam, and will presumably need less maintenance.

Lashing many barrels together increases the number of rounds per second. Once fired, however, each spent barrel has to be reloaded.

Starting in 2006 the company will demonstrate its prototypes with applicability that is especially likely to interest the U.S. military. The weapon system can be mounted on an unmanned ground combat vehicle, an unmanned aerial vehicle, and might be used as a defense against rocket-propelled grenades and mortars.

Metal Storm's speed allows it to lay down a blinding wall of slugs that can intercept and pulverize incoming enemy fire, according to company CEO David Smith. As long as the grenade or mortar is fired from outside a range of about 50 meters or 162.5 feet and a Doppler radar is in use, a Metal Storm system could be an effective defense, he told UPI.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

This has been around a while...I suggest looking at the area deniability version of this system...

http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src ... %20Firings
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
gpatmac
Ranger

Post by gpatmac »

I came across this vid, though it doesn't exactly resemble the vids in your links.

This weapon is touted to fire 1 million rounds in a minute.

http://www.amd.co.at/video/ms_36barrel.mpg

To me the logistics of such a weapon lend to unfeasiblity. The weapon itself may be very light....but I'm just thinking about the weight of ONE can of .50 cal or MK19 rounds.:)
4-17IN, 7th ID(L) - 1987-1991;2/327IN, 101st ID - 1997-2001; 2-5IN, 25th ID(L) - 2000-2004
Ranger Class 3/97,4/97,5/97(Grad)

Return to “Weapons of War”