CSM Purdy

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Purdy never gave a shit about opinions. He was only concerned with the status of his troops. He was all military.

Another:

Original Message:
To: To Whom it May Concern

I would like to give an NCO perspective on this issue of the Army of one. I am a retired CSM with 27 years of service. Most of it in Ranger companies and the Ranger Regiment. I am a Vietnam veteran, and a veteran of special operations. I retired in 1995 but have done mostly contract work at FT Benning involving experimentation on MOUT ops. I got to work around a lot of soldiers, and had to keep up with current trends and tactics. I am currently working in Saudi Arabia training Saudi paratroopers and Rangers.

Some senior NCOs are nothing more than boot lickers who sing the Army of one song to there superior officers everyday. Commanders need to hear the good, bad and the ugly, and then be given good solid recommendations. They need their senior NCOs to be TRAINERS. LEAD by EXAMPLE. DO as the troops do. LEAD FROM THE FRONT. GET IN THE DIRT. This bullshit of "I have done that" is garbage. What you are doing now is what counts. Quit worrying about your next assignment. Focus on your mission now. Your mission is to train soldiers for war, and it's damned hard work. If you do it right you will leave the Army in worse shape physically than when you came in. BE HARD BUT FAIR. You must have MORAL COURAGE.

Training is just a word they can't spell. Chief trainer means chief boot licker. TICKET PUNCHERS.

"Moral courage" means telling your commander what he wants to hear these days. I was condemned by my peers, and superiors for speaking up, and telling it like it was. I was called a relic from the past that should be put in a glass case. I was focused on training for war not peace. Discipline was my watch word, and the soldiers did not decide what punishment was right or wrong where I served as CSM. I was the Chief Trainer. The buck stopped with me. I participated in all training and lead by example. I was told by a Division CSM that I would never serve above BN level because I was to intrusive. That means I scared commanders with the truth. The next thing he asked was why do you train with your soldiers? The question was shocking, but the answer was simple. When I speak everyone listens. That went over his head like a tent. I carried a rifle not a pistol, and I damn well knew how to use that weapon and my soldiers knew how to use their weapons as well.

Combatives is important. Boxing, wrestling, and bayonet fighting are not antiquated. CQB is just what it means, Close Quarter Battle. MOUT, Trench systems, and bunkers must be cleared, and you had better be aggressive and prepared to do bayonet or hand to hand fighting. When others were laughing at my unit for doing this my soldiers were prepared and understood what fix bayonets meant. They were aggressive and well disciplined. Sub standard performers were put out immediately. My First Sergeants were not mail men or chow deliverers they were the Chief Trainers of their companies.

We trained for war not peace. Live fires were a priority, and were not canned. Leaders, and soldiers had to react. Maneuver elements maneuvered, and had to rely on the SBF not to shoot them but only the enemy. Bayonets were fixed and there were dummy targets for the soldiers to engage with those bayonets. Resupply millions were planned and executed. The battlefield had to be policed of casualties, and equipment by any means available, even if it meant driving vehicles cross country, or physically carrying the wounded. Reload drills, dead gunner drills, and crew drills were executed over, and over, and over again. These were executed day and night. NODS went on your face when the sun went down. They weren't hanging around your neck. We executed live fires at night with NODS in the woods, and the live fires were not canned. Raids, ambushes, search and attack were all executed at night up to company size. This took us over one year to get to that level. Mortars could hit their targets. Units could move silently day or night, and didn't get lost. We did no rely on the GPS. WE USED MAPS AND COMPASSES. We lived out of our rucksacks, slept on the ground, in all types of weather from the BN CMDR on down. Frostbite, and heat casualties were not common because we trained to live and fight in the same environment. We did not look like bums. We shaved every day, wore our equipment properly, camouflaged our face, and hands when necessary, soldiers new how to maintain themselves and their equipment in the field, and uniformity was important. Soldiers knew what a cat hole was, and trash was carried in there rucks not thrown on the ground or buried for the hogs to dig up. Uniforms were worn properly. The companies received one hot meal a day and understood how to conduct tactical feeding. Our cooks knew how to function in the environment. The combat trainers did not live in tents. Their perimeter was secure, weapons were clean, noise and light discipline was maintained. Cooks, clerks, and all other support personnel knew how to use their weapons, and were trained on basic Infantry skills. Misfires were damn well rare, and punishment was swift when it did happen. We suffered no live fire deaths because we trained properly, and used good old-fashioned common sense. We never had the soldiers execute missions they were not properly trained for. The NCOS trained the soldiers, the officers commanded.

Our motto was what ever you do, do it right. Rate of sick call in the field was almost zero. Moral was high because of good hard leadership from the front, and realistic tough training. We even executed a day of live fire training during support cycles. You need a strong CSM who understands discipline and training. He can talk it and walk it.

There is no such thing as a good field soldier. You are either a soldier or not a soldier. Everything from appearance to police call is important. This bull shit about my space and my rights is just that BULL SHIT. Barracks are not his or her home its a place for them to live. For saying this I was told I had a mess kit mentality. This individuality BS of "I need my own room" is garbage. We waste more money building these Condos so soldiers can feel good, and not be part of a team its sickening. They should live in fire team bays. It builds cohesion. Key control alone is a nightmare. Of course don't bother the poor soldier just let him live like a pig, and when he gets sick or you find out he or she is a drug dealer then blame it on the NCO Corp even though you the illustrious BN CMDR, BDE CMDR said leave the soldiers alone in there precious rooms. Soldiers are owed a place to sleep, their pay, and the best leadership and training that can be provided.

DISCIPLINE is the key. DRILL AND CEREMONY is the foundation of discipline. When I say fall in I want to hear your heals coming together. When I speak you jump. All ceremonies should be executed with weapons so each unit can execute the 15-count manual of arms. Carrying a card around in your pocket does not develop good morals. Morals are developed through solid leadership not gimmicks and headgear.

You want to be politically correct stay on the block. You want to be different or an individual looking to be a victim stay on the block. If you're a pervert and proud of it stay on the block. You want to be a soldier then become part of a disciplined team. This is not a job it's a profession. You're here to fight our country's war not to be a gut eating self-serving individual. Senior Officers, and NCOs I am telling you right now if things don't change you will have the blood of soldiers on your hands. There is an enemy out there who is determined, and he is not concerned about individual feelings, or time out. If you don't train them hard now, and demand from them now what in the hell do you think the enemy is going to do to them? If they can't take the heat in training how are they going to take it on the battlefield?

Technology my ass, soldiers win wars. Be hard on them now or watch them die, or worse break and run. Be HARD BUT FAIR! Being fair does not mean they dictate punishment or babying them. A Russian General said, "Hard on the training field, easy on the battle field". General Patton said "Leading from the rear is like trying to push spaghetti up hill." You want your soldiers to respect you not love you. When they look at you they should see a competent leader. The best compliment I ever received was from a soldier who was PCSing. I was a PLT Sergeant in the First Ranger BN. He said "Sergeant Purdy I hated to hear you come in, in the morning, and some times I just flat hated you, but I would follow you to hell with gasoline drawers on"

CSM Don Purdy
Retired U.S.A.

Everything he said above is how we lived at Charlie Company when he was there. I never had so much fun in my life.

RLTW
Bell
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Im curious...Ranger Bell....did you memorize that and write it down? :shock: And I thought the Ranger Creed was tough. Sheeeeit! That was a great piece of warrior literature. Thanks for sharing it. I can also see where you got some of your approach's to things. Lot of characteristics in common.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Abell9 wrote:Im curious...Ranger Bell....did you memorize that and write it down? :shock: And I thought the Ranger Creed was tough. Sheeeeit! That was a great piece of warrior literature. Thanks for sharing it. I can also see where you got some of your approach's to things. Lot of characteristics in common.
I can definately see where you get that kinder/gentler side. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Bell

Post by Bell »

Abell9 wrote:Im curious...Ranger Bell....did you memorize that and write it down? :shock: And I thought the Ranger Creed was tough. Sheeeeit! That was a great piece of warrior literature. Thanks for sharing it. I can also see where you got some of your approach's to things. Lot of characteristics in common.
Nah, Purdy's stuff is all over the internet. Got to SOCNET and do a search on "CSM Purdy". Go to BHD and do the same search. Go to theRanger Hall of Fame http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_of ... _purdy.htm and look at his pic. He's the ugliest Ranger you'll ever see. He's the Purd. There's enough stuff out there to write a book on the man. A lot of guys hated him but everybody respected him.

RLTW
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

Here's just a few of the stories about the man that was my Platoon
Sergeant while I was assigned to Charlie Company, 1st/75th Ranger Battalion.

You mean the stories about him: Flashing back when we were in the field, getting blown up without a scratch, being ripped out of the sides of aircraft and surviving, beating himself up because he couldn't run as fast as he could when he was 18, wanting to shoot everyone in the company in the leg and then roadmarch so they would know "Real Pain," being a motivational speaker, "Executing" a bunch of 2Lt's that screwed up in IOBC, etc, etc, etc?????? This could turn into a thread that would beat the heck out of the 10 page one in SWATNET! Purdy was INDESTRUCTIBLE!

He was definately one of a kind. They broke the mold when they made him probably because the world couldn't survive if there were two of them out there. I'm surprised he lived this long after his retirement. Glad he's still around an kicking and making someones life better, more miserable, and generally motivating people out there.

This is kinda weird. My part-time mailman here was the 1st Sgt. of C Co. when 3rd Batt was formed. We met at the mailbox one day and just started talking. One thing led to another and he mentioned that he was retired Army. From there it led to battalion and from there, naturally, to CSM Purdy. They served many years together. I can't remember his name but I see him every now and then. I'll ply him for some stories next time I run into him.

One of my favorites was told to me by CSM Eddie L. Roberts (Ret.). CSM Roberts was C/75 in Vietnam and has known CSM Purdy since RVN. He said that when Purdy was a PFC in Nam he was in CH-46 and they were inserting into an LZ that was supposed to be cold. Turns out it was very much hot. The loadmaster already had the ramp horizontal for the infil. The bird started taking intense small arms fire just as it was getting ready to touch down. The pilot was not amused and pulled pitch to get the hell out of Dodge. PFC Purdy was standing near the back of the bird and as soon as the pilot started pulling up he screamed "what the hell are you doing, the enemy is DOWN THERE!" at the loadmaster. He then jumped out of the bird via the ramp from a height of about 20 feet and started engaging the enemy on his own. The rest of the team couldn't just leave him there so they jumped out too. Apparently they wreaked havoc on the enemy with the aid of some CAS and artillery until a larger unit arrived and they were able to exfil. My understanding was that PFC Purdy's team leader was not amused with his PFC's enthusiasm for engaging the enemy.

Then there was the time that he supposedly was presumed dead but was only unconscious. The tale goes that he was placed in a body bag and when he regained consciousness he cut himself out of the body bag with a K-bar and at the same time managed to give some soldiers nearby heart problems as they watched him cut himself out of the bag. That sounds like a tall tale but, if you ever knew him you might believe it.

Then there was the tire house incident at Ft. Bragg with a live frag where he walked out without a scratch and started chewing some ass for getting fragged.(This one is confirmed.)

He was also a founding member of CAG.

The stories go on and on and on.

I remember the body bag story. And I believe it. There was also the rumor that he was mentioned in Beckwith's book as a certain someone who did a certain something in the desert. Remember that ?

That story about Desert One was confirmed to me by someone who was there. I'll let it go at that.

When I was a buck private getting my ass smoked by the spec-4 mafia (who just returned from a certain op in Africa), I used to hear stories about this man. He is a legend in ranger-land. I couldn't fucking believe he wanted to cap people in the knee before a ruck march. As they would say, "back when it was hard".

Actually he just wanted everyone to get a flesh wound in the thigh. His explanation was that we should all know what it was like to be shot and to bleed a little so we wouldn't freak out when it really happened. A shot to the knee would be counterproductive. I wonder if it makes me crazy that I can see his point.

Just a flesh wound to the thigh? That's nothing <sarcasm>. I assume those on RRF-1 wouldn't be included in this suck-fest. I guess a knee wound would just take a little too long to heal, huh? Could you imagine standing in formation waiting for your turn? Talk about some serious anxiety.

Was he the CSM of Regiment in '90?

Negative, he was never a CSM higher than battalion level, unless it was his last assignment at the 101st. In 1990 he was my CSM at 4th Ranger Training Battalion. He went to the 101st in 1992 I believe, after I ETS'ed. I heard that his last assignment at the 101st was his only assignment outside of the Delta, SF, Ranger community since he was a private in Vietnam.

Just noticed this thread and will share one of my Purdy storie.....

I remember sitting on my bunk in Idaho at that national guard base just outside of Boise, when someone said Niblett, Purdy wants to see you. I think to myself what the hell does he want. I walk in the room they told me he was in an next thing you know he has me by the throat and up against the wall. Screaming I want the name of that motherfucker that fell out of the movement last night. Was it your RTO?? What is his name? Nope wasn't Teves, Sgt Purdy. Sgt Purdy you talked to me and Teves when I was changing the freq on his radio and you told me hurry the fuck up and catch up. Well goddamn it who was that motherfucker that pussed out? Fucker fell to his knees and said he could not go any further? Sgt Purdy that was that LT. grader from the 82nd. You snatched him up by the throat said march or die motherfucker and he took off like a bat outta hell to the front of the company. The squadleaders in the room died laughing. Purdy looks at me grins and says see I told you what said to that motherfucker. He let go of my throat and slapped me and the back and said get the fuck out. He was one hard mofo...hahahahah and probably the ugliest Ranger I have ever seen....hahaha

You hit the nali on the head there. I have heard the Roadmarch concept many times from the man himself. "God damnit I think we should shoot everyone in the leg with a .22 and make them road march 12 miles just to prove that it can be done."

Here are some more:

When he was CSM of 3/75 he was "a little off his rocker". 3/75 used to be housed in the 5000 area of Ft Benning, for the uninitiated that would be where Ranger School is currently located. Battalion HQ was where RTB Brigade HQ is now. When traveling to the chow hall on rainy days he used to IMT between the puddles on his way.

He also used to sit on the roof of Battalion HQ with a BB gun and shoot at Rangers as they walked around the compound. He would tell them that they needed to be ready for contact at a moments notice and require that they IMT out of contact.

He recently worked for DBBL (Dismounted Battlespace Battle Lab) here on Ft Benning with CSM(ret) Sam Spears. Hated that they wouldnt let him train soldiers how he thought they should be trained, ended up leaving the job because of it.

I knew Purdy and Grange were exceptional people while I was there, but I didn't realize how much until I got on the internet 20 years later.

I got on the internet kinda stumbling around trying to see if I could find some of the guys I served with. Purdy was the first one to holler at me. Neat as shit.

RLTW
Bell
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Impressive and strangely, he looks no different than when I remember him. When I was there he had a drop dead gorgeous wife. Rangers had a way of going through wifes like crap through a Goose, did he keep her?
Regardless, thanks for memories...I saw another stud Ranger, my old Platoon Sergeant, Joe Alderman is now deceased. Very impressive guy, very decorated Nam net from SF. Amazing how PSG's, SL's impact their soldiers throughout the years.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

RGR Luna wrote:
I can definately see where you get that kinder/gentler side. :wink:
Can't you though. Everytime Ranger Bell writes something to some wunnabe, I just want someone to hug me and tell me they love me.
NO shit, Bell...glad to share the same last name with you though mine came from the higher toned side of the family where we didnt eat our young. :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

Bell

Post by Bell »

Ranger Desert Sloth,

Yer first post about Renegade Woods was great. A little history about the man.

Donald Purdy came from Canada. When he was old enough he joined the Canadian Army and was one mad fella when he found out they weren't going to Vietnam. He finished his tour in the Canadian Army and headed for the USA to enlist. He got even madder when he found out he had to wait 6 months before he could sign up. He went to work on some loading docks and told me that he never hated fucking puke civilians so much in his life. Lazy whiny bastards that wouldn't work blah blah. He said they were lucky he finally got to sign up because he was ready to kill em all.

He completed his basics and AIT and headed for Vietnam. See one of the stories above about his enthusiasm as a young trooper.

He told me that he remembered his first kill. They were set up in a loose ORP and everyone was layed back and relaxed, smoking, cooking, taking naps. All of a sudden two gooks walked right up in the middle of them grinning like shit and carrying their weapons across their shoulders with their arms hanging off the weapons. He couldn't believe it. Both of them grinning and looking around. He said they looked like they were in a wonderful store and was looking around wondering which one to take first. He said he kept looking around for someone to do something but everyone was staring at the gooks. So he popped his weapon off safety and watched the gooks too. Suddenly they started to take their weapons off their shoulders. They were still grinning when Purdy opened up on em. When Purdy opened up they all opened up. They kinda got shot up pretty bad. That was one of Purdy's first lessons about combat. Purdy never went anywhere or did anything again without proper security. LP/OP's and at least 50% security. His lessons were learned hard and he never forgot and he never relaxed.

I've talked to guys that served with Purdy in Nam. They all say that Purdy was never the same after Renegade Woods. It must of been one hell of a fight. Purdy never talked about that one.

Thanks for starting this thing Ranger Desert Sloth. There's more but I'll save some for later.

RLTW
Bell
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

I was at Campbell when CSM Purdy arrived..lmfao.I was in 1st Brigade,he went to 3rd.Had a buddy over there, the stories were great.He made a comparrison to a CSM we had in Korea(nicknamed SATAN)and said "SATAN was a pussy compared to CSM Purdy."

The first time i heard his name was in a book about LRRPS,the second was from a PSG of mine who had been an RI.I looked at him and asked if the stories had been true about Purdy.He laughed and said that i had probably never even heard the best ones.

Can't wait to hear more Ranger Bell
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Rangers i fucked up.My sincerest appologies.I should not have posted under this topic as this is reserved for those who have served with the 75Th Ranger Regiment.

Wont happen again.Just enthusiastic about great soldiers like CSM Purdy
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Thanks Ranger DS,and Ranger Spartan.I just wanted get get my ass out of the AO if i had stepped on anyones toes by posting under this particular thread.

Before i joined the army i had read very few books about war or soldiers.One of the first i read contained the story of CSM Purdy,the same one at the begining of this thread.I was so impressed ,his name always stuck with me.In my mind i always thought"Now that a fucking soldier"

Anyway the only personal story i have about the CSM is one from a soldier who had just goten back from Ranger school.He was in CSM BN at Campbell,and at some point in Ranger school was talking about"Purdy this,and Purdy that"Well of course an RI,being the professionals that they are overheard the conversation and not being one to let a target slipped by,nailed his ass.

"RANGER ,THATS CSM DONALD E PURDY!!!!!!!"And of course every chance they had they would bring up his name,make the poor bastard tell a story using"CSM Donald E Purdy"about once every sentence.

I do know this...the BN he was in at Campbell was the best trained in the Division.A ton of time in the field and good training.Im sure he created some great NCOs just by his presence there.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Don has never been off his rocker.. a lunatic yes... threatened to kill me a few times.. I loved every minute of it... Purd stories to follow..

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Steve1/75
Ranger

Post by Steve1/75 »

When I got to A1/75 I was lined up in the orderly room scared as shit, Purdy came in grabbed the first to folders (Mine was one) said come with me. We went up to 2nd Plt he was looking back at us with that “I’m going to kill youâ€
A 1/75 1982-1986
Ranger Class 14-83
USMC S/S 1-85. SOT.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”